Watching SMU and Memphis last night

Cajuncane

Senior
Premium
Where were these QB’s and WR when we were recruiting these kids we got?

Those two QB’s threw the ball all over the place to WR’s that never seemed to drop the ball.All those WR’s seemed to run like 4.4’s.

I can’t imagine any of these kids choosing SMU or Memphis over Miami if we had offered.Id take either of those QB’s and pretty much all of those receivers over the guys we are running out there.

Are our recruiters that bad at evaluations or does this “ never leave S.Fla. For skill positions “ mantra we’ve had for 30-40 years need to be re-visited?

Just curious as to how all these middle tier schools seem to find great QB’s and sure handed speedsters that catch everything while we struggle to find QB’s that are marginal at best and WR’s that seem to be running in mud and can only catch a pass ( sometimes) when it hits them square in the numbers.

Advertisement
Where were these QB’s and WR when we were recruiting these kids we got?

Those two QB’s threw the ball all over the place to WR’s that never seemed to drop the ball.All those WR’s seemed to run like 4.4’s.

I can’t imagine any of these kids choosing SMU or Memphis over Miami if we had offered.Id take either of those QB’s and pretty much all of those receivers over the guys we are running out there.

Are our recruiters that bad at evaluations or does this “ never leave S.Fla. For skill positions “ mantra we’ve had for 30-40 years need to be re-visited?

Just curious as to how all these middle tier schools seem to find great QB’s and sure handed speedsters that catch everything while we struggle to find QB’s that are marginal at best and WR’s that seem to be running in mud and can only catch a pass ( sometimes) when it hits them square in the numbers.

There are great football players in other states...

Norvel is gonna get a big time coaching gig

Buchele lost the starting gig to Meat Ellinger at Texas. He’s from the Dallas area, I believe.

Brady White followed Novell to Memphis from ASU when Novell took the job. White is from CA, and there are probably at least five very good passers coming out of that state every year, I’d guess. Not all of them go to USC.

Advertisement
Scheme and coaching matters. A lot. I didn’t see the game, but u were watching two go5 defenses.

Advertisement
What everyone else said.....its called good coaching, good schemes........maybe one day we will have that

Wasn’t there rumors we were gonna hire Memphis’ OC or passing game coordinator or something last year? Can’t remember I think it was a young guy

Part of it is the defenses are trash.

They make the offenses look better than they are (not taking anything away from them because they are good).

The tackling in that game looked worse than us vs. GT by a mile.

Advertisement
FSU would hang 50+ on both of those defenses. I’m as negative as anyone when it comes to this coaching staff but let’s just enjoy that *** beating that we dished out for a few days....

Both of those cities have talent. I continue to wish we recruited Memphis. Those are our kind of players.
We used to. Where was Graig Cooper from? Tennessee someplace. Back in the '80's Hubbard Alexander used to recruit Memphis for us. He had connections there.

Here are our Memphis players to the best of my recollection:

Michael Johnson - DB
Terris Harris -- DB
Casey Greer -- DB
Chris C. Jones -- TE or LB ?
Graig Cooper

Might be others. Johnson I think was first in '87.

Last edited:
Advertisement
We used to. Where was Graig Cooper from? Tennessee someplace. Back in the '80's Hubbard Alexander used to recruit Memphis for us. He had connections there.

Here are our Memphis players to the best of my recollection:

Michael Johnson - DB
Terris Harris -- DB
Casey Greer -- DB
Chris C. Jones -- TE or LB ?
Graig Cooper

Might be others. Johnson I think was first in '87.

The great Al McGuire had a recruiting quote that I always thought applied well to Miami. It was, basically, "If I came to the kid's house and there was green grass and a picket fence, he wasn't my kind of kid. If there was broken glass and concrete, we had a chance."

MY HIGH SCHOOL DEFENSIVE BACKS ARE ALL BETTER THAN MEMPHIS DBS....RIGHT NOW. NO CAP.

Its some sorry *** defensive players in that conference

Advertisement
Back