Watching Baylor

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Baylor may win or lose this bowl game against Michigan State, but their aggression stands out. Their entire style of play reminds me of the Canes program I watched growing up:

- Innovation that pushes the limits
- Blitzing and erring on the side of aggression
- Making talented players look great and average players look better than they are

Again, I'm not talking about their results. It's about their style. The part that hurts even more is that it matches what South Florida HS kids are both accustomed to and love playing.

Advertisement
Baylor may win or lose this bowl game against Michigan State, but their aggression stands out. Their entire style of play reminds me of the Canes program I watched growing up:

- Making talented players look great and average players look better than they are

Again, I'm not talking about their results. It's about their style. The part that hurts even more is that it matches what South Florida HS kids are both accustomed to and love playing.

Their defense would be tough for me to stomach (results wise) but I do agree the no-holds barred style is much easier to deal with than playing on your heels giving up third down conversion over and over again. I would love to see our approach be more that way especially with the type of recruiting we could do. The offense would be silly.

Yup, it just jumps off the screen. Their confidence is palpable. Baylor and TCU are coached and therefore play like the Canes we came to love under Howard, Jimmy, Dennis, and Butch.

Baylor tends to get better as the game progresses. I think they blow this thing wide open in the second half. Art Briles and Gary Patterson are both excellent coaches, and that is why Charlie Strong will be fired from Texas within the next 3 years. (plus he is a corch)

Advertisement
I've said it a million times but why you come down to a culture like Miami, recruiting from a pool of kids that can barely qualify for school but play with unparalleled aggression and passion, and neuter them by changing everything about the way they've ever played the game, is borderline ******* criminal and should have been changed after game #1. To continue to beat a dead horse 4 years later is just genuinely trying to be an ******* at this point.

I said this about TCU yesterday. It was fun to watch but made me depressed and jealous.

I really cannot understand our scheme and philosophy on either side of the ball.

I've said it a million times but why you come down to a culture like Miami, recruiting from a pool of kids that can barely qualify for school but play with unparalleled aggression and passion, and neuter them by changing everything about the way they've ever played the game, is borderline ******* criminal and should have been changed after game #1. To continue to beat a dead horse 4 years later is just genuinely trying to be an ******* at this point.

I disagree, I think a coach could change the way they grew up playing..... if he was good at coaching, which our coaches aren't.

How we don't run a run a high-powered offense like Baylor, Oregon, etc. baffles me.

It makes no sense to run the offense that we do, with the players we have.

Advertisement

Their defense would be tough for me to stomach (results wise) but I do agree the no-holds barred style is much easier to deal with than playing on your heels giving up third down conversion over and over again. I would love to see our approach be more that way especially with the type of recruiting we could do. The offense would be silly.

Nail on head JHall

The only team I think Baylor or TCU would have an issue with is Oregon. I believe Oregon's offense would match up very well with Baylor and TCU's defense. These games would be a shootout.

I said this about TCU yesterday. It was fun to watch but made me depressed and jealous.

I really cannot understand our scheme and philosophy on either side of the ball.

Watched Baylor blitz on 3rd down and leave nothing in the middle of the field. Just force the M-State QB into a quick decision and, if your DB athletes play aggressively and decently, it's just a low percentage pass attempt. Of course, if M-State QB identifies a mismatch and connects, it's a TD. But, you know what? That's ******* football and kids LOVE playing in that style. You can't sprinkle it in as a hedge, though. You have to be fully committed to this style of play. Your players will trust you more, to boot, because they'll feel you trust them. I realize that they have eye-poppingly bad results sometimes, but that's part of an overall high-paced attack and high risk defense they run.

The whole thing is brutal to watch. Baylor has some good athletes (that Oakman guy is a weirdo, as one example), but you'd be hard pressed to convince me that they have top to bottom better talent than we did this year.

Advertisement
The only team I think Baylor or TCU would have an issue with is Oregon. I believe Oregon's offense would match up very well with Baylor and TCU's defense. These games would be a shootout.

All 3 relentlessly attack until the opposing D chokes on its own vomit.

This post is right on point.

****, even Alvarez went for it now on 4th and 1 and Gordon broke it for 6. Golden would have punted.

Advertisement

I disagree, I think a coach could change the way they grew up playing..... if he was good at coaching, which our coaches aren't.
Of course they could. My point is that if you're trying it and it clearly doesn't work.....the **** are you thinking 4 years later? The most maddening part of all of this is hearing 4 years later about "freelancing" and "blown assignments" every week being the cause but yet not willing to change things. Unacceptable.

Advertisement
Back