Watching Bama spring game, we win if...

The one thing that Alabama has that we don't historically have is that they don't beat themselves. If we can change that trend then we would have a chance to win every game on our schedule. Playing teams like Alabama you will get a limited number of opportunities. The question is will we be mentally smart and tough enough to take advantage of those opportunities? Not just penalties but penalties at the worst possible time. Qb drops a dime in your lunch basket and the wr drops it. Talking smack while simultaneously getting your *** whooped. It would be nice to see a more mentally focused team than we have had the last few years. How? No clue. Watching Rocky vs the Russian does it for me. Having great athletes has never been a problem for UM but getting them to play first and foremost unselfishly for each other has been lacking in my opinion. I am excited for this season. We are due for a quality upset of a top ranked opponent and I believe we have a great chance if we don't beat ourselves.

Advertisement
Bama has a ton if talented players, but they're short on experience and getting used to a new OC. This is the time to catch them unaware. I'm not going to predict victory, because that would be unwarranted, but I feel a lot better than any time in the last few years.
My sentiment exactly. Since we have to play them, now is probably the best time to get them. First game of the season and they’ve had a lot of turnover - especially on O. Sure, they’re obviously talented and will re-load, but our experience and depth should give us a punchers chance.

Advertisement
Thought the same thing.

I also saw that Bama didn’t have a drop off in WR talent. Hall as a TF showed incredible hands & body control. They also have a real TE threat. Bama’s OL, ironically, looked the most suspect I’ve seen in a while. We can do some things w/ pressure against them, at first glance.

Young’s legs can be a problem for us. There’s a reason SC fans were mucho bitter at Helton for letting him slip to Bama. I don’t recall too much from their running game, as my focus was on Young. Bama also looked very fast...but, I like our chances to give them a run.

If we get blown out the building by this version of Bama, talent for talent it wouldn’t be on the players as opposed to the coaching staff. No, we don’t have the same exact talent as Bama, but w/ our age, and the talent we do have, we’re in the area. Should make them sweat, at the very least.
This is the most Vulnerable bama team in recent memory they lost so much production and snaps. Getting them in week 1 is massive for us.

The LB’s are fast, technically sound and 210/215. We’re not big, but we are fast, can cover and tackle. The DE position will be fine once Leonard gets here. I said it when he committed, he will play primarily DE his freshman year.
That’s not the issue in college LBs. instincts outweigh speed and size and our guys are lacking.

The one thing that Alabama has that we don't historically have is that they don't beat themselves. If we can change that trend then we would have a chance to win every game on our schedule. Playing teams like Alabama you will get a limited number of opportunities. The question is will we be mentally smart and tough enough to take advantage of those opportunities? Not just penalties but penalties at the worst possible time. Qb drops a dime in your lunch basket and the wr drops it. Talking smack while simultaneously getting your *** whooped. It would be nice to see a more mentally focused team than we have had the last few years. How? No clue. Watching Rocky vs the Russian does it for me. Having great athletes has never been a problem for UM but getting them to play first and foremost unselfishly for each other has been lacking in my opinion. I am excited for this season. We are due for a quality upset of a top ranked opponent and I believe we have a great chance if we don't beat ourselves.

Agreed; I will add we don’t even need to play a perfect game, but we can’t play dumb. No big drops, no dumb, DUMB penalties to extend drives, and if we get a TO, for goodness sake, capitalize on it. If we come out like we did in our last two games to end the season, Bama or not, ill be truly shocked & sorely shocked. I want to believe this team is different due to maturity (from an age standpoint), and a need to run it back b/c they feel like they let an opportunity slip by.

Advertisement
Our only chance against Bama is their trenches not being as dominant as usual & them coming out flat early while we hit the ground running right out the gate. Its encouraging to hear they didn't look as nasty as usual up front in their spring game, but I'm sure they're still head & shoulders above us inside. Just gotta bring our ultimate A game in Atlanta.

Honestly, I think we can play a B+ game against this Bama team. I don’t follow them, but I can’t imagine they’ve lost this many guys at the same time to the NFL, leaving them vulnerable w/ veteran leadership. I could be mistaken, but I believe the last time Saban lost this much talent at one given time, w/o veterans to right the ship was back in 2009. Iirc, They lost a ton of Sr & Jr leadership after that undefeated season. The following year, in 2010, those ‘08 boys were All Juniors, but they were the leaders. That 2010 team was young & it was the worst in Saban’s tenure at Bama (excluding his 1st yr, of course.) They lost 3 games, and were ?able all season.

This team is reminiscent of that squad. Who’s the veterans? Jobe?? X Williams?? Metchie is a Jr. I mean, I think if we play smart, controlled, don’t give them east opportunities...man we have a chance. Again, if we get smoked, I promise u it will be 100% on coaching & not the roster we have. AND Bama is bringing in 4 new Off coaches!!! Saban admitted even though the system is the same, language has changed & players have struggled adjusting!

All we can ask is to play our best & come out healthy.
This. People are forgetting our last loss was to Ok. State. Bama is Bama, and Saban is still the best in the game. Compete with them and make it a respectable game. If we win, great. If we don't, it's understandable as long as we have a good showing and don't fall on our face like we did against LSU.

something happens to Bryce Young between now and Sept. 4. The other QB (Baker or Barker) looked like **** in the spring game. I think we might win anyways, but with out Young, I think Bama is in trouble if they have to to go to QB2.
I know just who to call....
tonya-harding-nancy-kerrigan.jpg

Honestly, I think we can play a B+ game against this Bama team. I don’t follow them, but I can’t imagine they’ve lost this many guys at the same time to the NFL, leaving them vulnerable w/ veteran leadership. I could be mistaken, but I believe the last time Saban lost this much talent at one given time, w/o veterans to right the ship was back in 2009. Iirc, They lost a ton of Sr & Jr leadership after that undefeated season. The following year, in 2010, those ‘08 boys were All Juniors, but they were the leaders. That 2010 team was young & it was the worst in Saban’s tenure at Bama (excluding his 1st yr, of course.) They lost 3 games, and were ?able all season.

This team is reminiscent of that squad. Who’s the veterans? Jobe?? X Williams?? Metchie is a Jr. I mean, I think if we play smart, controlled, don’t give them east opportunities...man we have a chance. Again, if we get smoked, I promise u it will be 100% on coaching & not the roster we have. AND Bama is bringing in 4 new Off coaches!!! Saban admitted even though the system is the same, language has changed & players have struggled adjusting!
I'm definitely more concerned about a coaching advantage they'd have over a talent advantage too, minus our linebackers of course which I'm sure O'Brien will try to exploit. If the D can slow down their run game & our offense shows up we definitely have a shot.

Advertisement
Miami has tended to get overwhelmed in the big games, excluding the Notre Dame game in 2017, and that was at home. Away games, against upper level teams haven't gone well. LSU in Dallas, Clemson at home and the ACCCG were all blow outs. The Alabama game will be a home game for them. Having coaches who've coached in the SEC will help. Games like this are the next step. Miami doesn't necessarily have to win, but they do need to show they can compete.

IMO Young will be the best QB they’ve ever had there under Saban. Yes, better than Tua. Only hope is that he’s still a little green and makes some mistakes against us. I think he’s going to be infinitely better by the end of the year than he is at the beginning. But that kid is an absolute superstar, Day 1 NFL pick talent.

Advertisement
I thought both Holden & Hall looked really good & aggressive at attacking the ball, and their TE has been the talk of their spring camp, and he looks the part. But again, it’s context when I say “no drop off” regarding their WRs. I’m saying it is as a reload standpoint. Remember, they still have Metchie. But no; they are not touting out Waddle, Metchie, and Smith.

That’s why I ended my overall statement by saying we should not get ran out the building vs. this version of Bama. “Talent for Talent” we should at the VERY LEAST put fear in them losing. If we get blown out, it will not be from a talent standpoint. We got the talent to play w/ this Bama team.

And Young is a more polished Hurts, imo.
Talent standpoint is not the problem when it comes to players. Talent at head coach is where I am concerned. Getting a game plan together to beat a talented team has not been the strength of Manny Diaz. Here's hoping this is the year he fits his big boy pants.

This article needs to be shut down. No chance Miami wins. Don't let nobody blow smoke up your ***. We will struggle to get a pass rush on them. There probably going to run for 200 plus on us. I just hope we get out the game healthy.

we beat their asses! I’ll keep beating the drum. We are back. If Don’s 100% they’re ****ed
Boar: This is their vanilla game....we have not seen anything of their playbook for game day, so it is impossible to draw up drums based on a glorified practice field scrimmage.....or we are back.

Advertisement
Back