Watch Out For Mike Smith This Season

Advertisement
Not sure if he'll be All ACC next year, but he flashed great potential at NW. He is a guy who liked getting up field, so this should be an ideal situation for him. He's got a clean start.

This isn't high school anymore. He's got to get bigger, stronger, and faster if he wants to sniff the field.

6'2 230 and running a 5+ 40 isn't getting you very far

northwestern. just the name leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Y'all sleep on Mike smith, kid is great at what he does which is rushing the qb. He if he gets extended playing time he can be a 6 sack a year type guy

Advertisement
I will not judge any kid that played under Golden unless ur just plain bad like Dallas Crawford etc. We used to live off guys like this. I don't think he is bad as some of you making out. We now have a goal of getting into the back field, instead of worrying about who to tap dance with.

I will not judge any kid that played under Golden unless ur just plain bad like Dallas Crawford etc. We used to live off guys like this. I don't think he is bad as some of you making out. We now have a goal of getting into the back field, instead of worrying about who to tap dance with.
. IMO, Crawford was not as bad that's all you guys make him seem. Should he have been starting, No. Should he have been logging major minutes, No. But a lot of y'all exaggerate when it comes to Crawford.

. IMO, Crawford was not as bad that's all you guys make him seem. Should he have been starting, No. Should he have been logging major minutes, No. But a lot of y'all exaggerate when it comes to Crawford.
He was not bad he was terrible. When u have someone in dead Centre ahead and the player is nothing special and u whiff so many times. You're terrible. As well as diving into the wrong gap over and over. Terrible

Advertisement
He was not bad he was terrible. When u have someone in dead Centre ahead and the player is nothing special and u whiff so many times. You're terrible. As well as diving into the wrong gap over and over. Terrible
Exactly why I said he should not have been starting or logging major minutes. He tackled very well on special teams. He, along with redwine, was our best special teams player. At least he contributed. Now Fentress was awful.

I think Smith makes a significant contribution this year. I won't make any judgements until I see what happens after spring ball. Hitting the re-set button.

Who the fvck is Mike Smith? Golden literally destroyed my fandom - I don't know half the roster these days.

Advertisement
Who the fvck is Mike Smith? Golden literally destroyed my fandom - I don't know half the roster these days.

He forced the fumble in the bowl game... about the only thing he's done thus far in his career. He RS in 2014 and was a RS freshman in 2015. He was the worst fit possible in NoDs scheme

I feel your pain, but I think our coaching staff squandered the talent that came out of that high school and came to UM just like many of the other players who came here previously and played mediocre football only to blow up in the NFL. Certainly some of it was on them, but even Jacory improved when he got a legit OC and QB coach - just too little too late. They had talent - no question - watched them beat Dallas Southlake on national TV in front 35,000 people on the road and end that team's strike of 60+ wins, watched them run through the state playoffs, and watched them absolutely dominate the state title game.

Not sure if he'll be All ACC next year, but he flashed great potential at NW. He is a guy who liked getting up field, so this should be an ideal situation for him. He's got a clean start.

This isn't high school anymore. He's got to get bigger, stronger, and faster if he wants to sniff the field.

northwestern. just the name leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Advertisement
I have a feeling that Mike Smith is gonna break out in a major way next season.

With Manny Diaz tendency to blitz heavily, I really believe Mike Smith will become our best blitzing LB. He's not a read and react LB, that's why he rode the oak.

If he would've spent his career under D'Nofrio, he wouldn't have gotten much, if any burn. Now with Diaz at the helm, he will have the potential to be All-ACC. Watch.

Only time will tell and being physical will be a huge factor. Some people have no idea how good some of these LB's are going to prove to be. Not sure if you talk to any players, or insiders etc but 3 LB's are standing out with the new staff in mat drills and conditioning: Grace, Gordinier and Quarterman. The coaches run the drills and they look at the film of every practice and these three are at the top of their list every day for best performers (conditioning, strength, speed, agility, mental toughness, etc). Great to see Quarterman and Gordinier up there because we already know they are beasts in terms of being physical and tough...but to see also well conditioned and move well is also a good sign.

This. Plus, he developed the classic golden pot belly last year

Advertisement
Back