Washington starting LG Nate Kalepo commits to ole miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
There was a late evening flight to Memphis so I suppose he could have still made it there

Yes it is.

The current CB group has very little experience, average speed as a collective & not a single one of them has any aspect of coverage that they excel in.

Plus whoever is responsible for teaching them the fundamentals of the position has done a poor job with getting them to understand how to defend against the Deep ball & opening up too early against in-breaking routes.

CB last year was below average against teams with a legitimate passing attack, the only time they looked decent was against teams that had sh*tty QB's who couldn't hit the Ocean standing at the edge of a Beach.

The CB group at Miami is not up to par on a championship level. There isn't a single playoff contending team that would trade their group for ours.
Okay and now that you've said all of that and I've used the agree thinga Majin, I still say what I already said. Safeties are more important to the defense as a whole. Even if we had lock down corners you'd still see issues if we had bad safety play. You actually stressed that yourself when u pointed out how bad the corners are against the deep ball. Cause it's your safeties that need to be there to bail out corners each and every time. We need safety play capable of doing exactly that. I'm not concerned about corners if the other boxes are checked off first.

Advertisement
Okay and now that you've said all of that and I've used the agree thinga Majin, I still say what I already said. Safeties are more important to the defense as a whole. Even if we had lock down corners you'd still see issues if we had bad safety play. You actually stressed that yourself when u pointed out how bad the corners are against the deep ball. Cause it's your safeties that need to be there to bail out corners each and every time. We need safety play capable of doing exactly that. I'm not concerned about corners if the other boxes are checked off first.
Safety has been addressed though, that's the difference.

They've at least sought to bring in 2 Safeties from the Portal & recruited a top 100 player at the position out of HS.

At CB, they stacked the deck with developmental prospects & are basically just hoping one of them eventually becomes playable, it's an extremely risky strategy that usually doesn't work out unless you have an exceptional teacher at the CB coach spot, which we don't unfortunately.

Yes it is.

The current CB group has very little experience, average speed as a collective & not a single one of them has any aspect of coverage that they excel in.

Plus whoever is responsible for teaching them the fundamentals of the position has done a poor job with getting them to understand how to defend against the Deep ball & opening up too early against in-breaking routes.

CB last year was below average against teams with a legitimate passing attack, the only time they looked decent was against teams that had sh*tty QB's who couldn't hit the Ocean standing at the edge of a Beach.

The CB group at Miami is not up to par on a championship level. There isn't a single playoff contending team that would trade their group for ours.
You know I've been agreeing with you for a while in the portal DB thread that I have viewed CB as a far bigger need - and actually I've been saying CB has been by far our worst position we've recruited the past 2 years. We have a bunch of CB/S hybrid types or guys that fit better over the slot.

However the thing that is true even though not championship level, is that we are absolutely improved over last season imo. To me there is zero doubt that Porter+Damari+Richard on the outside (and 1 of them in nickel) plus the hope of Stafford+Freeney developing plus being able to play like Riley/Meech in the nickel in a pinch is a better situation than having to Rock with Jaden Davis at Outside CB and Tecory Couch at nickel. Idgaf how "unproven" our guys are - imo they showed enough to end the year that I'd choose this cb group of starters and depth over the situation last year. Speed WRs are going to be a problem to cover. But if our Safeties are more conservative, this can be covered up deep. And our LBs mat for the first time in like 4 years not be bums...

2025 class needs to be treated like 2023 OL and 2024 DL without question.

They've at least sought to bring in 2 Safeties from the Portal & recruited a top 100 player at the position out of HS.

At CB, they stacked the deck with developmental prospects & are basically just hoping one of them eventually becomes playable, it's an extremely risky strategy that usually doesn't work out unless you have an exceptional teacher at the CB coach spot, which we don't unfortunately.
Im more worried about Safeties than CB rn and we agree CB acquisition leaves a lot to be desired.

But we have literal question marks at Safety other than Savion no one has played extended college game snaps as true full time safeties.

Rn we just have Savion, Jaden Harris, and Zaquan.

Whats your opinion on the Powell guy we got? You like him making the switch to the safety position? He is not a willing tackler and when he does he's very meh. He can cover slot guys solid though but that was mostly when he was playing the "husky" position which is just the nickle.

Last edited:
Advertisement

The two safeties we brought in play corner as well. I get what you're saying brother. But safety is a completely unknown variable when it relates to them in this scheme or at this level. Maybe that's just my preference. I want to know we have stability at safety before I'd worry much about corner. Demari has potential to become a very good one. Honestly numbers are a bigger issue to me at corner than who we actually have in the room. We have one spot open. Even if we turn around and can pull the best corner in the country, bigger picture that's not really solving anything because the position lacks depth in general let alone quality.

Re the 85 scholarship limit, what is to stop Miami (or any school) from bringing in players as walk-ons and then their tuition is paid for as part of their NIL deal?

BYU did something similar - although I think it truly was to reward the walk-ons/get publicity as opposed to getting around the scholarship limit: https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/12/byu-football-nil-deal-walk-on-tuition-built-bar
You literally just watched us do that with rodney hill... nothing stops us technically. Only the fact our tuition isn't cheap and kids have concerns about labels at the end of the day. Pride works in strange ways. Even when you know it's just a technicality that you'd be a walk on it's still the reality.

Advertisement
Re the 85 scholarship limit, what is to stop Miami (or any school) from bringing in players as walk-ons and then their tuition is paid for as part of their NIL deal?

BYU did something similar - although I think it truly was to reward the walk-ons/get publicity as opposed to getting around the scholarship limit: https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/12/byu-football-nil-deal-walk-on-tuition-built-bar

Absolutely nothing. Pitino did it this season. I am confident others are doing it as well. We may as well exploit that loophole for as long as it exists.

I don't love the CB room. Porter is a fringe all-ACC corner and Damari came on the second half of the year, but there's always the sophomore slump to contend with. Then there's Richard, who had his moments, but then a significant drop off from there. We need at least one plug and play corner, if not two.

I'm a little less spooked about safety. Kam and JW were supremely talented but there was so much boom or bust with them. With the Washington and Vandy kids coming in + ZP being on campus, I'd like to think we have enough there now to at least be functional.
I trust our DC. I think he'll have them playing better this year.

Im more worried about Safeties than CB rn and we agree CB acquisition leaves a lot to be desired.

But we have literal question marks at Safety other than Savion no one has played extended college game snaps as true full time safeties.

Rn we just have Savion, Jaden Harris, and Zaquan.

Whats your opinion on the Powell guy we got? You like him making the switch to the safety position? He is not a willing tackler and when he does he's very meh. He can cover slot guys solid though but that was mostly when he was playing the "husky" position which is just the nickle.
Obviously, the entire secondary is going to be the biggest question mark, or weakness, on defense going into 2024. The question I keep coming back to is this: For someone who takes recruiting as serious as Mario, and someone who supposedly wants to mold his program in the same vein as Bama/Georgia, the bottom line is the CB/DB recruiting has not been nearly good enough…not even close. So, all that said, how in the world does Addae still have a job? I just don’t get it. When your trying to build an elite program you can’t have ANY weak links, none. When you look at Addae’s recruiting there’s absolutely nothing that screams “elite.”

Advertisement
Obviously, the entire secondary is going to be the biggest question mark, or weakness, on defense going into 2024. The question I keep coming back to is this: For someone who takes recruiting as serious as Mario, and someone who supposedly wants to mold his program in the same vein as Bama/Georgia, the bottom line is the CB/DB recruiting has not been nearly good enough…not even close. So, all that said, how in the world does Addae still have a job? I just don’t get it. When your trying to build an elite program you can’t have ANY weak links, none. When you look at Addae’s recruiting there’s absolutely nothing that screams “elite.”
I'm pretty sure as a consensus everyone would be ok getting rid of Addae, but we need to secure a clear upgrade.

I'm pretty sure as a consensus everyone would be ok getting rid of Addae, but we need to secure a clear upgrade.
True. Admittedly, that’s the only question I had was who to replace him with. I’m sure there’s people here who are far more qualified to answer that question than me.

It's definitely something to be explored (and possibly challenged) in the future.

Previously, the rules focused on OVs and in-homes as being the determining factor as to whether you were "recruited" or not. You couldn't put a kid you were officially recruiting on the roster as a walk-on.

Going to be very interesting in the near future. It was funny to watch how creative Butch got in the 1990s, now everyone is trying to emulate his style of roster management.

Wait, so the Washington DB isn't a true safety? hmm

Powell
Riley
Harris
Patterson

Top going into Spring ball.

I personally think Jaden Harris can be a really good player. Everytime he has been on the field, Spring and spot time last year, he has impressed me.

He fills the alley in run, and has looks good in coverage being a Former CB. I still have no idea where he was in bowl game though? Guessing injury? No one has specified.

Porter
Brown
Ricard
Stafford
Mack
Freeney

Top 6 I think

We definitely need to add athleticism and speed to the group. I think Stafford should help there, Mack ran a 10.8 2 years ago so he has some speed also.

Injuries to the top group could be less than ideal.

Also any word on if Robby wants to give it a try at CB? I know @DMoney mentioned this during offseason or fall camp sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back