Ward to the league...or maybe not...who the **** knows...but seriously...what the **** else better do you have to do?

1704495376146.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Here's how I see it...

Ultimately, college football is a business and decisions made by players impacting their financial well-being should not be taken personally by the parties (or their fans). However, there is a right way and a wrong way to do business. I'm generally of the opinion that parties should be as forthright as possible without revealing confidences or fiduciary duties in their business transactions, but at a bare minimum should refrain from outright lies.

If Ward or his camp told Miami that he was still exploring the NFL draft as a potential option, I'm not sure how anyone can be upset by him ultimately declaring.
Even if Ward and his family agreed to an NIL deal in principle, but said deal was contingent upon Ward enrolling at UM, so long as Ward or his camp was honest that he/they were still exploring the possibility of declaring for the NFL draft, I don't see an issue.
Just like if the initial NIL package provided to Ward contained one number if he signed/enrolled after taking visits, and a higher number contingent upon him signing/enrolling without visiting any other schools (like FSU), that's business, too (even though it clearly disincentivizes Ward from fully investigating his collegiate options).

Now, if Ward agreed to an NIL deal, didn't disclose the possibility of declaring for the NFL, visited FSU knowing UM's deal would be lower thereafter, turned back to UM to get the NIL deal he'd agreed to but with the additional (at this point forfeited) $$$ notwithstanding his visit to FSU, and only then raised the NFL draft as a threat to create leverage for more $$$, I have a problem with that. It's still business. And Mario still looks like a clown for reacting like a man standing in wet cement. But, it's not a professional and forthright way to go about your business, so I could understand bad feelings (in that instance).

Last paragraph is interesting. Could add a couple of sentences there at the end...

Advertisement
What receipts?

If TVD sucks at Wisconsin, Cool. Mario stuck with him for 2 years.
If TVD balls out at Wisconsin, Cool. He went back to pre-Mario form.

I see a common failure point....
TVD gave us signs in '21 of who we was as a QB.
Hot and cold.
Cold in clutch games.

I've got him down for 1 win, when the game actually meant something, during his time here.
That was this year vs A&M.

Last edited:
I'll even suggest that Norvell was never THAT serious about Ward anyway (he knew very well he couldn't afford him). He pursued Ward only to make Mario go all-in and not pursue any other QBs. That's my theory anyway. Mario got played on several fronts with Ward.
Did he get played? Just your theory.

Advertisement
Here's how I see it...

Ultimately, college football is a business and decisions made by players impacting their financial well-being should not be taken personally by the parties (or their fans). However, there is a right way and a wrong way to do business. I'm generally of the opinion that parties should be as forthright as possible without revealing confidences or fiduciary duties in their business transactions, but at a bare minimum should refrain from outright lies.

If Ward or his camp told Miami that he was still exploring the NFL draft as a potential option, I'm not sure how anyone can be upset by him ultimately declaring.
Even if Ward and his family agreed to an NIL deal in principle, but said deal was contingent upon Ward enrolling at UM, so long as Ward or his camp was honest that he/they were still exploring the possibility of declaring for the NFL draft, I don't see an issue.
Just like if the initial NIL package provided to Ward contained one number if he signed/enrolled after taking visits, and a higher number contingent upon him signing/enrolling without visiting any other schools (like FSU), that's business, too (even though it clearly disincentivizes Ward from fully investigating his collegiate options).

Now, if Ward agreed to an NIL deal, didn't disclose the possibility of declaring for the NFL, visited FSU knowing UM's deal would be lower thereafter, turned back to UM to get the NIL deal he'd agreed to but with the additional (at this point forfeited) $$$ notwithstanding his visit to FSU, and only then raised the NFL draft as a threat to create leverage for more $$$, I have a problem with that. It's still business. And Mario still looks like a clown for reacting like a man standing in wet cement. But, it's not a professional and forthright way to go about your business, so I could understand bad feelings (in that instance).
Hit it right on the head. Has he officially declared and signed with agent?

It isn’t ward or Mario that made this a mess. NIL and the portal (the way it currently is) is completely ruining the game. All the coaches hate it, they just can’t say much or kids won’t go play for them. Get a scholly and a stipend. Get rid of NIL.

Advertisement
Looking at the draft boards and its slim pickings for Ward.
If he “believes in himself” he should be looking for a payday next draft. Qb’s rated higher than he is are staying for one more year.
Unless some team is low key trying to get him, he’s gambling big time.
Puzzling to say the least.

Advertisement
Back