Walton vs Yearby

Advertisement
Walton is not a feature back. Let Joe carry the load, and BTW it's time to see what Gus can do.

Walton should be taken to an eye doctor for corrective surgery. Poor guy can only see 2 inches in front of himself.

Advertisement
Yearby has clearly better vision and wiggle than Walton.

We need to get Walton the ball in open space.

He doesn't have the vision to run up the middle successfully. He does have the agility and burst to make people miss in open space. We should try some screens and sweeps.

What Yearby did last year, to gain 1000 yards with that o-line, has to be one of the more impressive feats accomplished by a Hurricane football player in the last ten years.

He doesn't have the vision to run up the middle successfully. He does have the agility and burst to make people miss in open space. We should try some screens and sweeps.

We need to get Walton off the field. When he gets the ball in open space is when he gets REALLY painful to watch

Advertisement
If Walton chooses the right hole he hits it hard , yearby has better vision and more elusive . Imo the better option

We need to get Walton off the field. When he gets the ball in open space is when he gets REALLY painful to watch

That's not true.

If Walton has a lane and one man to beat there's a good chance he'll make them miss.

Last edited:
Look at the second play here as an example:

[video=youtube_share;0fxTlWUINfo]https://youtu.be/0fxTlWUINfo[/video]

He looks magnetized to a blocker's back even in the open field. Poor guy looks like he's always looking for a back to run up.

Advertisement
It's obvious to everyone but Rick that Yearby is the better RB. Walton is probably a try hard yes sir no sir guy who practices harder. But Yearby is much better on game day.

He sure as **** had no issues with playing the correct RB at GA. Why all of a sudden has he gone **** up here at Miami with playing the "better" RB?

He was running a different offense at UGA running a lot more man blocking principles because he had the horses to do so.
Here we have more a finesse line (to put it in the nicest way) zone blocking and Yearby is for sure the better back for that system.

That might be true, but my guess is that he had some dominate backs at GA and could see the separation at the time. Here he has two solid, average backs, but none that possess what he had at times at GA. It's not a dump on the two being discussed, it's just that neither can separate from the other and that speaks volumes about them.

That's not true.

If Walton has a lane and one man to beat there's a good chance he'll make them miss.

True - but wouldn't any RB look good when there's a clear land and one man to beat? The defense of Walton seems to be "if conditions are perfect, he looks good".

The run you posted below against Nebraska is what he should do - but isn't what he does a large majority of the time. I'll add some posts to show what I mean.

Advertisement
I posted this before the FSU game, but you can see in the FAU highlights the microcosm of Walton's tendencies I dislike as a runner:

1) Pauses & hop steps before the Line of Scrimmage - he should just be hitting the hole. He slows down or in some cases comes to a dead stop in almost every run.
2) Spins, jumps - things that slow his down.
3) Lack of speed
4) Lack of vision, locking on to one defender or one area he wants to go, with no awareness of other defenders or his own blockers, which causes him to run directly into them.

- Hop step/lateral cut before the LOS (every run). His natural instinct is to do this hop step on every carry when 50% of the time he should just be running straight through the hole.
- Lack of burst/speed and jumping (2nd run)
- Spin move & running directly into his own blocker (4th run)
- 4 hop stops before LOS (5th run)

[video=youtube;BjD2-eep8yk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjD2-eep8yk[/video]

Here's what I mean about Walton being frustrating in the open field. There's a TON of examples I can use, but let's use the FSU screen pass, or "chicken with his head cut off" play as an example.

You can see in the open field:

1) Walton can only make rounded cuts, he can't make a sharp plant his foot and go type cut
2) He runs East-West way too much of the time
3) He locks onto one defender, totally unaware of where other defenders are, where his blockers are, or where he is on the field
4) He has no speed
5) He seems to lose motor control of his legs if he's running in the open for too long

The Green arrows is what he should do, the red is what he does

He starts his cut just past the 30, and should be attacking the open field/end zone.

But he makes a rounded cut that leads him to run parallel to the 20.

Walton 1.jpg

Walton 2.jpg

He has the last defender off balance, almost falling, which I don't think he ever notices.

He has a ton of open field, and should be running to the endzone.

But he doesn't even LOOK up field. Instead he continues to run parallel to the 20, locked into the defender coming from way behind, until he gets tackled.

This shows his - lack of vision/awareness, inability to make a quick cut, no confidence in what little speed he does have.

Walton 3.jpg

Walton 4.jpg

Walton 6.jpg

Walton 7.jpg

You can see the video of the run at 32:30 mark

[video=youtube;7Nb_2KPkvRg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nb_2KPkvRg[/video]

Last edited:
like to see Homer and Gus get more touches .

I wouldn't hold your breathe on seeing Homer this year, unless it's on kick returns.

After 7 games the coaches still haven't figured out that more carries should be going to Yearby at 2nd string. Gus is 3rd string and never used. So I don't see how with 5 or 6 games left how Homer can go from 4th string to getting carries when the 2nd & 3rd have barely been used.

I think Homer's fate was sealed when he fumbled vs. FAMU.

Advertisement
Back