WALTON GON START FRIM DAY 1

All of you have to remember Mark Walton reclassified, he's coming to college a year early. Most high school players develop a lot from junior year to their senior year, let the kid grow. This will be a runningback by commite approach, and a **** good one for our new coach.

He reclassified back to his appropriate grade.

Advertisement
Last time I saw a back like Walton, I was watching Knowshon Moreno rip through Jersey defenses like tissue and rewriting the record books in the process. Swore up and down Moreno would wind up being an average back at best. Wasn't fast and wasn't huge either. Moreno was probably 190-195 coming out of Middletown South and was running somewhere near 4.7 in the forty.

But sometimes man...a dude can just run the rock.

Walton reminds me of Knowshon some.

Vern how would you rank Williams, Cronkrite, Scarlett, and Walton? I personally like Walton a lot but Scarlett's film had me in love.

All of you have to remember Mark Walton reclassified, he's coming to college a year early. Most high school players develop a lot from junior year to their senior year, let the kid grow. This will be a runningback by commite approach, and a **** good one for our new coach.

My apologies I thought he was a year younger. Either way him and Yearby is a great 1, 2 punch. Just please no more Gus up the middle on 3rd and 2.

Advertisement
Last time I saw a back like Walton, I was watching Knowshon Moreno rip through Jersey defenses like tissue and rewriting the record books in the process. Swore up and down Moreno would wind up being an average back at best. Wasn't fast and wasn't huge either. Moreno was probably 190-195 coming out of Middletown South and was running somewhere near 4.7 in the forty.

But sometimes man...a dude can just run the rock.

Walton reminds me of Knowshon some.

Love that comparison, Moreno had that never say die attitude as well.

Walton and Yearby are similar in that they're good, but not great RB's. They have some great attributes, but aren't the full package that Collins/Michel/Cook/Scarlett are. It sucks, because I want to be more excited about them, but the guys we missed out on are just on another level.

Walton is more compact and stoutly built. He'll be much better breaking tackles. Yearby is shiftier and better at avoiding tackles, but he can't break them.

Both are limited by their size and speed. Neither can break away.

Walton's a better fit here to take the pounding, where I think Yearby would look much better in a spread offense that gets him in the open field more. I don't think Yearby is the right fit for this offense.

That said - Gus and Yearby rotated pretty evenly last year, and I'd expect the same this year, with Walton in the mix but running 3rd. I'd actually expect Gus to start. How physically developed Walton is coming in a year early will probably determine his PT.

LOL Yearby is better then Michel and no one can tell me different. I think he is just as good as Collins and Scarlett as well. Cook will be the best RB in college next year . Yearby is so **** good i am fine with Duke being gone . Walton is on Scarlett's level as well. The point is with Yearby , Walton, Gus and Grey we are **** loaded at RB.

Did you see what a beast Nick Chubb was for Georgia this year? Michel was ahead of him on Georgia's depth chart before he got hurt. Meanwhile Yearby couldn't beat out Gus Edwards on the depth chart. It's just two different levels of talent. Yearby is no Michel, and Walton is no Scarlett. Both are good RB's, but it just is what it is.

:lebron.jpg:If gus doesnt transfer he will be 3rd string/short yardage back in the fall.

ehh it's not like he spent 4 years in HS, so he is somewhat at a disadvantage compared a lot of players. being a year behind your proper graduating class for whatever the reason is pretty much the norm down here but he didn't get 4 years of HS coaching, competition, and weight training like the rest do.

My apologies I thought he was a year younger. Either way him and Yearby is a great 1, 2 punch. Just please no more Gus up the middle on 3rd and 2.

He's not a year younger but being a year behind the proper graduating class is pretty normal down here for a lot of top kids, however none of the rest try and move back into their proper class. They just go play ball and dominate while eventhough they are able to vote already. No one cared that Sony was a year behind his proper class, or Dalvin, or Valentine, or Scarlett, heck Calvin Ridley is closer to legal drinking age then he is to his proper graduating class.

Even though kats trying to make it seem like the kid is more a product of playing at Booker and he wouldn't be as good if he somewhere else like CC (smh) that's not the case. it's not like BTW just got good at football, yet I can't remember the last time Ice them had a 1000+ yard RB. I want to say OT did it his soph season when he played with BHarris, Davon, and Theron them but I don't think he quite got there. I know DVon and Krondis didn't do it. However, Walton ran for over 1400 yards even though he played in a handful of games during the season where he barely got 5 carries. If dude would have stayed pat and played his 4th season of HS football he would have put up crazy numbers and had SEC schools down here trying to get him and dudes would be tripping about how these asshats were going to lose another top sfl RB.

Dudes getting caught up in how something look instead of the end result. Just because Yearby (and I'm not singling Joe out just using him as an example) chop his feet 100 times and make 5/6 cuts to pick up 15 yards and Walton just going to do a shoulder dip cut run threw a arm tackle to pick up his 15. They still getting you 15 yards you just don't get to ohh and ahh while watching the 2nd run.

ehh it's not like he spent 4 years in HS, so he is somewhat at a disadvantage compared a lot of players. being a year behind your proper graduating class for whatever the reason is pretty much the norm down here but he didn't get 4 years of HS coaching, competition, and weight training like the rest do.

He's not a year younger but being a year behind the proper graduating class is pretty normal down here for a lot of top kids, however none of the rest try and move back into their proper class. They just go play ball and dominate while eventhough they are able to vote already. No one cared that Sony was a year behind his proper class, or Dalvin, or Valentine, or Scarlett, heck Calvin Ridley is closer to legal drinking age then he is to his proper graduating class.

Even though kats trying to make it seem like the kid is more a product of playing at Booker and he wouldn't be as good if he somewhere else like CC (smh) that's not the case. it's not like BTW just got good at football, yet I can't remember the last time Ice them had a 1000+ yard RB. I want to say OT did it his soph season when he played with BHarris, Davon, and Theron them but I don't think he quite got there. I know DVon and Krondis didn't do it. However, Walton ran for over 1400 yards even though he played in a handful of games during the season where he barely got 5 carries. If dude would have stayed pat and played his 4th season of HS football he would have put up crazy numbers and had SEC schools down here trying to get him and dudes would be tripping about how these asshats were going to lose another top sfl RB.

Dudes getting caught up in how something look instead of the end result. Just because Yearby (and I'm not singling Joe out just using him as an example) chop his feet 100 times and make 5/6 cuts to pick up 15 yards and Walton just going to do a shoulder dip cut run threw a arm tackle to pick up his 15. They still getting you 15 yards you just don't get to ohh and ahh while watching the 2nd run.

I'm always weary of the RB guys who are a "year ahead." Some of our best have come in pretty young and flourished once here. Edge, Portis and Gore all come to mind.

Gore was nearly a summer baby for his class (2001, but born in May).
Portis played his first NFL season at 21 after playing 3 years here.
Edge played his first NFL season at 21 being three years removed from HS.

The biggest "finds" in college football are late developers. If I were coaching or recruiting, I'd try to find a formula for finding late bloomers.

Advertisement
Running back by Committee, but Gus probably gets the most carries. Going to come down to little things, like who holds on to the rock. Gray is the wild card, don't see how they move him now.

Yearny small and slow

Walton looks very average

Gus as the measurables to be an elite back, but the kid looks like Tarzan plays like Jane

Grey never played RB in his life

Not looking good

Advertisement
Running back by Committee, but Gus probably gets the most carries. Going to come down to little things, like who holds on to the rock. Gray is the wild card, don't see how they move him now.

Yearby over Gus all day IMO.

RB on the #1 team in the state of Florida of the last 3 years..... Film dont lie mane. YOu cant be small and slow... Hopefully he will be a lil stronger then yearby

lol so what you saying he didn't play a role in why that team was the #1 team in the state the last two years? Also they could have anyone they wanted at RB but no one wanted to come bang with him at the position just like no one wanted to bang when he was leading Northside to ships or at SLV. Yeah he's really small and slow smh. Everyone can't have Dalvin top end speed but he has good acceleration in first five yards and can get around the corner when needed and is able to run through tackles.

You know who else was around 5'10, 185lb, and running a 4.6 coming out of HS and played in a spread off??? Probably the best sfl HS rb ever or atleast the last 30 years. Frank wasn't a blazer at all. He had good balance and body control (like Mark), excellent vision and instincts (like Mark) and knew how to break and run through arm tackles (like Mark). Most importantly just like Frank he has a frame that will allow him to properly become a 200+ lb back something Duke and Joe frames don't allow them to do. That's why Duke looks like a **** Dorito who doesn't take leg days serious. Mark doesn't and won't have those problems. He has solid upper body and thick hammys that give him the leg strength needed to break tackles (something Joe doesn't do well).

I know you got this thing that anyone who decides to play for these losers must be a loser too, but this kid ain't that. There's reason just about every scouting service has him listed above Scarlett in their rankings even though he could still be a Hs Jr if he followed the sfl motto of graduating HS a year behind their correct class like many of the RBs everyone on this site salivates over including Scarlett. People need to stop thinking that if you're not a sprint champion you can't still be really effective in what you do.

You make valid points kudos.. You are right does Walton have a better frame then DUke and Yearby? Yes he does definitely he does. I will argue That DUke looks like a Dorito your totally wrong on that. At the same time don't you dare compare Walton to Gore. i almost spit up laughing. I think Walton can be a solid back and hopefully he exceeds expectations. But he is not as talented as those other guys( explosion,change of direction) ..Is he more talented than Yearby? I dont think so, but that remaains to be seen. By the way there has been plenty of running backs with high rankings but it dont mean nothing I know what the eye test shows me. I think Walton is better then Eduardo Clemente, but he is the same type of running back he was. Walton just doesnt have that explosion through the hole mane, no disrespect but it is what it is..... Doesnt mean he cant be good for us he is just not that first round pick talent that we all crave for...Chicks dig the long ball mane..In a perfect world he would be our Giovanni Bernard but he is not as talented as him.

I didn't say he was Frank, ain't no **** body Frank. Not Duke, Not Dalvin, not Sony. None of them are because Frank had something that you couldn't measure at the Opening. He had a drive and will to never be stopped and I'm sure a lot of that had to do with what was going on at home. What I did say is he had many of the same attributes Frank had that you are completely ignoring because to you he's just small and slow smh. Good thing I'm not a chic because I understand you don't have to be Giancarlo Stanton to hit the long ball, McCutchen does just fine. Is he more talented the yearby, maybe bec he's a different type of runner than Yearby that maybe more effective to what Miami actually needs from a RB. Yearby relies on quick feet and constantly jump cutting and changing directing in order to make people miss, however when people get there hands on him he goes down and that's been a knock on him going back Yearby to his optimist days. That's not Walton game he has enough wiggle to be a slippery runner who set defenders up because of his balance to be able to run through arm tackles. Peoples biggest complaint against Yearby last year was he constantly gets tripped up. That's not happening to Walton. You constantly calling him OT 2.0 is as asinine as it would be for me to call him Frank 2.0. Don't worry he small, slow, and lacks explosion yet college coaches, scouts, and people that have seen him face think he a lot more than an average RB. It's cool to be the contrarian so I'll let you do you then and I'll just move on.

Contrarian? Cmon mane Ive been on these boards going on 7-8 years.. I speak the truth as I see it. I've been in "barbershops" in the city where people argue about how good Walton is..... people on both sides of the fence mane this is nothing new... So we can agree to disagree.. I agree with you totally that Waltons strength is his balance and his ability to set people up run through arm tackles and show a little wigggle... He also has great hands.....However when I saw Gore, Duke, Bobby Washington, Alex COllins, Sony (pre injury), Dalvin, **** even Yearby shined and looked special in high school. Walton just never looked special to me. I guess average is too harsh, I think he can be solid to good RB for us..

Combine that with a lack of player development at UM, and it could get ugly for the youngin' in the future. We need coaches that can take these boys to the next level.

Advertisement

I'm always weary of the RB guys who are a "year ahead." Some of our best have come in pretty young and flourished once here. Edge, Portis and Gore all come to mind.

The biggest "finds" in college football are late developers. If I were coaching or recruiting, I'd try to find a formula for finding late bloomers.

Which is basically the point that I'm making about Walton. Unlike Sony, Dalvin, Collins, Scarlett who were all (or will be in Scarlett case) 19 before they played there first game, Walton will be similar to Frank/Edge/CP as dudes that played their freshman season as 18 year olds. He's going to be a little over a month older than Frank was when he arrived on campus because he doesn't turn 18 until the end of March. He just didn't get four years of HS football coaching and training before he got to UM. Now I'm not going to say I'm afraid of the older kids like Sony and Dalvin them because to many of them have proven to still be ballers even if they are a year ahead, but it doesn't change the fact they all should have graduated HS a year before they did because none of them were late birthdays like Duke and Yearby.

I'm happy with Walton. I heard the other RB's Folden was pursing was scared to sign with Da U, because Waton's former head coach (Ice) would be his position coach, and some felt Ice would show favoritism to Walton. Because, that's what other schools was feeding those guys...

However, pound for pound, I think Walton has a better upside Yearby, as our starter, not just talent wise, but from the durability standpoint as well.

Yearby needs to gain some muscle, and run track; still a good player though!! BTW, I like the Sproles role previously mentioned for him.

That formula was Butch's recipe for success. Find the kids that are ready to explode at the next level, not the super hyped over developed kids that have already peaked in HS and are already near their ceiling. FWIW, I feel like Coley has some of that instinct in how he recruits.

Advertisement
Back