Walk away number

To me all the bad he did TEAM WISE,because most of what he did PROGRAM WISE was first class,got erased when he walked away from that 18 million.Or whatever it was.

The guy could have hung around for another year until they had no choice but to can him,took the remaining 13-14 million or so and crippled the program but he didn’t.He put the U first and gave us a chance to go hire decent coaches to do what he was unable to do and for that his name should be given the highest amount of respect when being talked about.

Don’t know of many human beings on earth that would have done this ( I know NO ONE oN CIS would have and anyone who says different is more full of sHT than an I emptied porta potty) and as we start to ascend to our rightful perch atop of CFB he should always be mentioned as one of the main reasons why we did.

A phucking man.

Advertisement
Here is a piece people seem to keep forgetting. The AD was going to FORCE him to fire Jorn. Obviously if Richt fired Jorn that would be the end of his corching career. No one would ever hire the QB coach that trotted out Malweak in year 3(who had regressed since the duke game years prior), no QB in the recruiting class(not even looking for one), and fired by his father(who is notorious for not firing any under performers).

I am sure Richt would rather give up 18 mill if it meant not having to fire his son and at least this way it just looks like his was not retained as opposed to being fired. Especially since it is his doing that his son was in this predicament. He probably felt like he failed his son. He knows he should have had his son work up the ladder and actually learned the correct way instead of being handed the QB coaching position.

Here is a piece people seem to keep forgetting. The AD was going to FORCE him to fire Jorn. Obviously if Richt fired Jorn that would be the end of his corching career. No one would ever hire the QB coach that trotted out Malweak in year 3(who had regressed since the duke game years prior), no QB in the recruiting class(not even looking for one), and fired by his father(who is notorious for not firing any under performers).

I am sure Richt would rather give up 18 mill if it meant not having to fire his son and at least this way it just looks like his was not retained as opposed to being fired. Especially since it is his doing that his son was in this predicament. He probably felt like he failed his son. He knows he should have had his son work up the ladder and actually learned the correct way instead of being handed the QB coaching position.

I don’t think so.

I’ll bet you a 5 figure sum that there was a clause in his contract that gave him final say in all hires and fires. It would be unheard off for an experienced coach to not to have that, especially when he had to be convinced to coach here.

I don’t think so.

I’ll bet you a 5 figure sum that there was a clause in his contract that gave him final say in all hires and fires. It would be unheard off for an experienced coach to not to have that, especially when he had to be convinced to coach here.

That is why I said the AD was going to force Richt to fire his son and not "Blake is going to fire Jorn". The AD and boosters could have made Richts life very very difficult if they requested he fired Jon and he refused. Not only this, but I am sure the offensive staff would get very frustrated after multiple years of Jons QBs getting trotted out there and it making all of them look bad. No passing game made Browns RBs look bad because teams stacked the box. Maliks knuckleballs made Dugans WRs look like they couldn't catch. Searles we all know sucked, but having an awful qb back there didn't help much. Future potential offensive coaches would also see going to Miami with Jr as the QB coach as career suicide.

That is why I said the AD was going to force Richt to fire his son and not "Blake is going to fire Jorn". The AD and boosters could have made Richts life very very difficult if they requested he fired Jon and he refused. Not only this, but I am sure the offensive staff would get very frustrated after multiple years of Jons QBs getting trotted out there and it making all of them look bad. No passing game made Browns RBs look bad because teams stacked the box. Maliks knuckleballs made Dugans WRs look like they couldn't catch. Searles we all know sucked, but having an awful qb back there didn't help much. Future potential offensive coaches would also see going to Miami with Jr as the QB coach as career suicide.

So he couldn’t have forced him to fire his son.

That’s my point.

Thanks.

Advertisement
This board really needs to lay off Richt and the childish nicknames used for him. He blew it this past season and the end of the prior season. Except he manned up realizing the game has passed him by and he lost his fire unlike previous coaches. So he walked away quietly without any drama instead of dragging this on for multiple seasons. He's forgiven in my book and got us more recognition after the Norte Dame than we've had for years. Enjoy your retirement in peace Mark you have nothing to be ashamed of.
Thanks for your input, Jon Richt Jr

You don't know that. You are assuming that clause is in the contract. Prior to Mark quitting there was tons of smoke about JR getting fired.

Would you prefer I said "The AD and boosters were going to make Richts life a living **** until he fired Jorn. "

No because they couldn’t have made his life a living **** either. That guy did exactly what he wanted. The living **** would’ve been having more seasons like he had last one

Advertisement
No because they couldn’t have made his life a living **** either. Thank guy did exactly what he wanted

Of course they could. Do you really think that if Richt refused a direct order(especially when this order was to fix the single biggest issue with this team) from the AD and boosters that he would just go on his merry way with no repercussions?

Advertisement
It doesn’t work like that.

The end of last season should’ve been enough for him to realize at the very least he needed to give up control of the offense.

He selfishly decided to not and we wasted a season with an elite defense.

We should’ve won 10-11 games this season.

The players can never get it back.
He also destroyed a recruit class.

Without Richt (and I know the Soffer's donated a lot), I really doubt the IPF would exist today. When Richt was riding high, I don't think the school was in any position to refuse him the facility. Nice legacy!

If he took any less than $18 million then he's ok with me. He could have put us through another year or demanded that much, so leaving for anything less was a gift.

Advertisement

To me that's a compliment to Richt as a person. Yes his biggest mistake was giving his son the position in the first place. But when he realized his son was failing at the job instead of throwing him under the bus he did what any good father would do for their son and fell on the sword for him. I would hope any father on this board would do that for his son. @nystateofmind yes last season was a waste I agree but had he left last season who knows who the coach would be right now. I think in the end so far everything has worked pending what happens on the field in 8 months.

To me that's a compliment to Richt as a person. Yes his biggest mistake was giving his son the position in the first place. But when he realized his son was failing at the job instead of throwing him under the bus he did what any good father would do for their son and fell on the sword for him. I would hope any father on this board would do that for his son. @nystateofmind yes last season was a waste I agree but had he left last season who knows who the coach would be right now. I think in the end so far everything has worked pending what happens on the field in 8 months.

Did I say it wasn't a compliment?

Of course they could. Do you really think that if Richt refused a direct order(especially when this order was to fix the single biggest issue with this team) from the AD and boosters that he would just go on his merry way with no repercussions?

Yea pretty much. What are they going to do? Yell at him? I’m making the argument there is really nothing they can do to make his life miserable. He’s got a stronger personality than Blake times 1000, and probably most of the BOT anyway. I’m not defending him, I just know people, and you don’t get to be a head coach for that long without having a stomach and balls of steel. His problem was he was stubborn as fūck.

I’m not defending him, I just know people, and you don’t get to be a head coach for that long without having a stomach and balls of steel.

Eight months earlier...

I don’t think he’ll be satisfied until he’s holding up at least one NC trophy to stick up UGA’s ***. He’ll never admit, but deep down, I think that’s what driving him.

I know people, and it’s the most natural thing there is. That kind of vindication is in the genes of people that are competitive, and he’s competitive.

Advertisement
Back