Wake Forest at Miami at 2 pm on Fox Sports South. (Pregame predictions, game thread and post game reactions.)

Advertisement
We need to win out for the next 6 games (finish up with a 7 game win streak).

Definitely do-able.

Wake Forest (11-13, 4-10 ACC)
AT VaTech (14-10, 5-8 ACC)
AT Notre Dame (15-9, 6-7 ACC)
AT GaTech (12-13, 6-8 ACC)
Virginia (16-7, 8-5 ACC)
Syracuse (14-10, 7-6 ACC)

Hardest game left (UVa) is at home.

Need to win all 6 and finish 10-10 in conference.

As much as the ACC sucks this year, I'm not going to project us to do any better than split the remaining games and finish 7-13.

My projected starters and 2nd unit for next season mixed with what I think Coach L will do. Personally, I think Coach L would prefer all 5 seniors to start but those pieces don't fit.

Starters :

Lykes, McGusty, Timberlake, Wardenburg and Miller.

2nd unit:

Beverly, Wong, Cross, Walker and Brooks.

Rest of the bench:

Gak, Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho.

This gives both the starters and 2nd unit some experience mixed with some youth. I think Earl starts as a freshman because playing in the WCAC makes kids college ready. Plus, he is 6'5 and close to 215 lbs so strength is not his issue. He is a very good defender which is a huge missing piece for this team. Cross can ease himself into things as he starts out as a spot up shooter but he also brings some toughness to the team.
Dylan Cardwell and Daniel Batcho are two 6'10 220 lb high school seniors with Miami in their final list. They should both redshirt as there will not be a lot of playing time for either one next season. However, after next season when the seniors are gone, Deng Gak is the only big(6'10 or above) on the roster. There will be plenty of minutes available at that point.
I ruled out the grad transfer point guard because the roster already has 5 seniors. Harlond is good enough at the point. He is not Shane Larkin but he is not Jaquan Newton either.
I actually wish I could watch the team scrimmage as that should be a very competitive practice.
That is my opinion today but it is subject to change. Maybe.

Advertisement
Game Score prediction :

Wake Forest 64
Miami 89

The freshman continue to play well as all 9 players are available and they all score. Look for DJ to break out of his shooting slump by making 5 of the teams 12 three point shots today.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I like the decision to get the ball to Rodney Miller early.
I hope we do that more often. The team should work inside out.

Advertisement
Back