Wait... @ Arkansas State in 2017??

You know, I understood when we went to UHouston about 10 years ago when they were awful and w even UL-Monroe about 12 years ago. Those are fertile recruiting grounds where it's always good to leave a footprint. But friggin Arkansas?

Advertisement
You know, I understood when we went to UHouston about 10 years ago when they were awful and w even UL-Monroe about 12 years ago. Those are fertile recruiting grounds where it's always good to leave a footprint. But friggin Arkansas?

Exactly. And by the same token, what does another trip to North Carolina get us?

If we're gonna schedule these games we should go to the other states that turn out big time players -- Cali, Texas, maybe even Georgia & Ohio. Schedule a Fresno St. or San Diego St. or North Texas. We do have Toledo coming up, but I don't have much confidence that it was intentional in that sense.

I am going to give you a real answer so do with it what you want.

For the most part UM does not travel well to away games. So because we need to have so many home and away games the Athletic dept looks at what makes the most sense. UM will always have a big out of conference game each year. (as you can see on the future schedules) But for the other games why not give Arkansas St. and App St. games at their house? By giving them a home and home series we are not having to pay these small schools millions of $ to get a home game only. Thus, we save a ton of money and play an away game that would not have been well attended even if it was Arkansas instead of Arkansas St.

Now in App St. case I believe some one dropped us and we were scrambling to pick up and away game last minute and they were one of the few schools with an opening which is why the return home game is so far in the future.

have you seen the teams most highly ranked teams play each year? there's always cupcakes here and there. arksansa state is actually a more competitive cupcake. it's not like we're scheduling citadel, old dominion, or georgia southern. and who know's. we were once an arksansas state once a upon of time in the land of giants.

yeah but I don't see the power 5 schools travelling to play at the cupcakes' stadium like some third rate program.

Advertisement
have you seen the teams most highly ranked teams play each year? there's always cupcakes here and there. arksansa state is actually a more competitive cupcake. it's not like we're scheduling citadel, old dominion, or georgia southern. and who know's. we were once an arksansas state once a upon of time in the land of giants.

Shoot yourself. Name me one highly ranked team or at least highly a team with highly skilled players that goes to devry to play them.

USF wouldn't even do that.

Except, of course, that they are going to UMass, Northern Illinois, and Western Kentucky. But they would NEVER go to Arkansas State.

USF is also in the American, which essentially means that technically UMass, NIU, and WKU are our counterparts as other G5 schools. WKU gets the series because of Willie Taggart. NIU even has a little name recognition as a better than average MAC school. UMass doesn't make much sense though.

And by the way, we have FSU coming here next year, Illinois coming the year after that, and Georgia Tech out in 2022. I guess we're not too small to get home games against these teams (full disclosure: FSU is getting a portion of the gate). Texas will also come to Tampa on a 2 for 1.

You're free to schedule a home and home against USF. Your fans will come, I'm sure. Otherwise, I'm sure there are mid to lower tier Big 10 and Pac-12 teams who wouldn't mind a home and home against the Canes. Think Maryland, Purdue, Indiana, Arizona, Colorado.

We are also going to Appalachian St.

This is what happens when you have a beta in the position of athletic director.

I hate this game....except I'm planning on going since it's 4 hours from me, and it'll be my first chance to see Coach Chip Kelly/Dan Mullen/Tom Herman's Hurricanes in person

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back