Waaaay Too Quiet In My Opinion

The new head of the BOT who took over in May, 2014,Stuart Miller, wants to win.

Donna Shalala's opinion of the current sitatuion does not matter. She is leaving.

Blake James' opinion means less. He will be on his *** or back to the ticket booth when the new prez comes in.

The BOT does not want to make the move before hiring the prez and new AD but they may have no choice. Things are as bad as they could be.

The timing of this sucks.

Advertisement

Donna Shalala's opinion of the current sitatuion does not matter. She is leaving.

Blake James' opinion means less. He will be on his *** or back to the ticket booth when the new prez comes in.

The BOT does not want to make the move before hiring the prez and new AD but they may have no choice. Things are as bad as they could be.

Prolonging this would be much worse.

Any chance there is something similar in Gorlden's contract?

Intersting to note: Shannon's Arkansas contract has a $100,000 buyout that runs through today. It drops to $50,000 tomorrow.
10:18am - 31 Dec 14

Wishful thinking but cot dammit

I imagine that's why "sources" are pointing to next year as the year to fire Golden. Technically, he's still on his 1st contract. Firing him before the extension kicks in is WAY worse than firing him AFTER year 1 of his extension.

Getting rid of him now is likely an $8MM hit, because it's not in the extension period ... So, he's probably due the full value of the contract. Getting rid of him after next year is likely a $3MM hit ... Which would be about half of his remaining contract.

Seems like the BoT are comparing the $2MM in salary next year to the $5MM spread in buyout, and are making a monetary decision to save $3MM.

More than likely, as much as we hate it, making a coaching change this season WILL NOT result in an additional $3MM in revenue to the school.

I'm not saying I agree with their decision. But I can see their position ...

This is a very logical explanation...but is it really worth holding on to a coach so bad that ex-players, alums, fans and even parents don't like? UM has the money to bit the bullet if they want to. My concern is another year wasted on the field...another wasted of progress....and now recruits (especially those in South Florida) are understanding that Golden is nothing more than talk...

It looks like he will be hear for 2015...but I think its a mistake to let this man get another year and set us back further...

Advertisement

For Golden as well. I have NO doubt he is the next Herbstreit, Coselle, **** Cronkite all in one. He missed his true calling and is costing himself money and aggravation. Godspeed and goodnight Al!!!!

It will cost more than $3M to keep him
Gate receipts and vending at games alone probably takes a $2M hit.

If we hire someone not employed like Butch we probably save $3M right there bc we don't pay a buyout

Then consider lost money on apparel, tv money.

Then add lost capital gains on that difference of money along w time value of it

Golden isn't getting fired. Is it really that hard to accept at this point?

Miami is going to burden the search for a new president by dumping a huge financial mess like this on it.

Advertisement

Miami is going to burden the search for a new president by dumping a huge financial mess like this on it.

What is the point of this post? Are you concerned with efficiency in our work place? Are you concerned with the bandwidth on the board? Are people starting too many threads?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Advertisement

If we hire someone not employed like Butch we probably save $3M right there bc we don't pay a buyout

Then add lost capital gains on that difference of money along w time value of it

I don't know if it will cost them more than $3MM or not ... But they clearly think the cost of his buyout exceeds the value of increased revenue of a new coaching hire.

For me to remain a fan of this program ... I have to believe SOMEONE in the administration and BoT is smart enough to run a cost-benefit analysis, and they know the actual numbers a helluva lot better than me.

So, I'm gonna go with the idea that they are making a sound financial decision to keep him one more season, and will make a legit hire next year.

For Golden as well. I have NO doubt he is the next Herbstreit, Coselle, **** Cronkite all in one. He missed his true calling and is costing himself money and aggravation. Godspeed and goodnight Al!!!!

I know, right? I mean that hair!

Advertisement

I don't know if it will cost them more than $3MM or not ... But they clearly think the cost of his buyout exceeds the value of increased revenue of a new coaching hire.

For me to remain a fan of this program ... I have to believe SOMEONE in the administration and BoT is smart enough to run a cost-benefit analysis, and they know the actual numbers a helluva lot better than me.

So, I'm gonna go with the idea that they are making a sound financial decision to keep him one more season, and will make a legit hire next year.

Do you think a ten year contract in Goldens first year (6-6. Worse than previous coach)was a sound financial decision?

I liked this post not because I want to keep golden but because I agree that the truth is that this decision will not be made by this lame duck president.

Do you think a ten year contract in Goldens first year (6-6. Worse than previous coach)was a sound financial decision?

I bet a few BOT members made that decision over some rum and scotches up in the Shapiro box during the game.

No. This is incorrect on so many levels.

1. You trust the admin and BOT to make a sound financial decision when they have done nothing to prove they're capable of doing one. The admin and BOT put us in the situation today. They extended him. They felt the need to extend him without any logical reason. Why would you believe they're capable of making a sound financial decision? They handicap us!

2. This isn't just about financials, there are many other issues with keeping Golden around. Just to name a few:

(A) they're telling the alum/fans that we're okay tanking in 2015 (what kind of message is that?) and in doing so jeopardizes the student-athletes,

(b) they're digging the program into deeper hole by delaying the process, and

(c) you're letting a coach run the program for another 10-12 months who knows he is out the door after the season(this is a guy who has not made a coaching change despite OBVIOUS issues on the staff). How does this benefit anyone?

3. The biggest issue the admin and BOT still remains. THEY LOVE TO MICROMANAGE!!! They have tremendous flaws and are not capable of running a program properly. This is why we have had 3 retards at AD and 2 of them left as soon as possible. This school needs to bring in a real competent and passionate AD to run the department and then follow the words of Adam Smith (HANDS ***ING OFF!)

So stop trusting and start realizing what is ACTUALLY going on.

Advertisement
Back