vs ND 12 noon Saturday on the CW, Canes (-14.5)

Advertisement
Horrible hands, can't finish. Atleast he looks way more aggressive than AJ but it's hard to watch him botch so many opportunities down low
Gotta just find a way to keep things simple for the freshman. He's got some tools that could help this team. He's at his best when he's aggressive and assertive. Much of his mistakes is over thinking things. Don't think too much. Just play hard. Whatever happens, happens. Confidence also seems to be an issue. Need him to focus on contesting shots, rebounding and running the floor.

Last edited:
Advertisement
As we've seen throughout CBB today, winning comfortably against overmatched opponents isn't the cakewalk a lot of fans believe it to be. This wasn't Miami basketball at its best, but it was a relatively comfortable win over a conference opponent, in a classic "Who cares" game. 12PM tip, building had little juice(Wouldn't be shocked if the student section was less than half full), and Miami took care of business.

I will say this, I think Bensley is at his best coming off the bench, as that first guy. I think that getting George on the floor as a starter opens up more possibilities. Nwoko is getting OTJ training and while there are times I wish he wasn't getting this training, it's going to pay off in the long run. You can see that the talent is there, he's just raw and honestly, I think that he isn't used to dealing with guys that are just as big, and just as strong. Watson is starting to get it, and you will see his minutes increase as a result. The more I see of these youngsters, the more I'm convinced that when February/March hits, Miami will have legit depth and the ability to match up with other elite teams. Miami will not have elite size this year, but lengthwise, Miami can compete, especially with Watson and Nwoko coming off the bench.

Gotta just find a way to keep things simple for the freshman. He's got some tools that could help this team. He's at his best when he's aggressive and assertive. Much of his mistakes is over thinking things. Don't think too much. Just play hard. Whatever happens, happens. Confidence also seems to be an issue. Need him to focus on contesting shots, rebounding and running the floor.
Trust me I'm excited about his future. Way more so than I am AJ Casey just based on his physicality. Just wish he did a better job holding onto the ball. Drives me nuts how many opportunities his missed on bc he drops, bobbles or fumbles the ball

As we've seen throughout CBB today, winning comfortably against overmatched opponents isn't the cakewalk a lot of fans believe it to be. This wasn't Miami basketball at its best, but it was a relatively comfortable win over a conference opponent, in a classic "Who cares" game. 12PM tip, building had little juice(Wouldn't be shocked if the student section was less than half full), and Miami took care of business.

I will say this, I think Bensley is at his best coming off the bench, as that first guy. I think that getting George on the floor as a starter opens up more possibilities. Nwoko is getting OTJ training and while there are times I wish he wasn't getting this training, it's going to pay off in the long run. You can see that the talent is there, he's just raw and honestly, I think that he isn't used to dealing with guys that are just as big, and just as strong. Watson is starting to get it, and you will see his minutes increase as a result. The more I see of these youngsters, the more I'm convinced that when February/March hits, Miami will have legit depth and the ability to match up with other elite teams. Miami will not have elite size this year, but lengthwise, Miami can compete, especially with Watson and Nwoko coming off the bench.
Agreed. Do think Bensley can play starter minutes coming off the bench. Don't think we'd see the drop-off we're currently seeing with the bench if he were coming off it.

Advertisement

Agree with everything you said except student section was pretty full. Crowd never got juiced but attendance was good and there was a good atmosphere in the building… it felt like an event. It was really great to see and I think the home conference games are gonna be super fun.

George can be a really good player, needs to keep focused.

Watson was good today. He can look like he's going in slow motion, but if he hits his open shots, he will be an important contributor.

Casey is legit terrible, and it sucks, becauae we need more of an inside presence.

It's a weird team. We may go Nijel pack and a bunch of 6-7" guards and a 6-7" center. Lol. So strange.
Offensively, Casey is lacking. On D, he anticipates well and has size. There's a place (or three) on this team for guys who will play some defense.

Offensively, Casey is lacking. On D, he anticipates well and has size. There's a place (or three) on this team for guys who will play some defense.
Not exactly enamored here of Casey OR Nwoko's defensive talent. Agree their primary role when in right now from bench is defense, as their offensive talent is not at all near anyone of the starting 5. (They may sink a pretty shot or 2 but when they (apparently) take a so-so shot rather than pass to an open starter who also has as good a shot... I really cringe the result.)

Yes, they can improve (hope so.)

Advertisement
Mercy somebody please rebound
I was glad to hear L focus post game on this…but like last year, hard to believe the guy doesn’t pummel rebounding and defense on these kids, especially without true big men. They picked it up big time last year in the tourney, but without big bodies under the board, they should be fighting that much more.

I watched Norchad twice today out on the perimeter while ND got 2-3 offensive rebounds in a single possession. I know we trying to protect him from fouls..but get your down there after the first missed rebound and put an *** on somebody.

Advertisement
George can be a really good player, needs to keep focused.

Watson was good today. He can look like he's going in slow motion, but if he hits his open shots, he will be an important contributor.

Casey is legit terrible, and it sucks, becauae we need more of an inside presence.

It's a weird team. We may go Nijel pack and a bunch of 6-7" guards and a 6-7" center. Lol. So strange.
I’ve been down on Casey, but he was fine in limited minutes today.

What’s there to say that we all saw. A team without distinction. A team that played better overall defense but just bathed in their many turnovers and lack of focus. Outside shooting was fair but very few attempts to get the ball inside.

I thought Pack looked ragged and unreliable he has to understand his value to this team on an every game basis. Norshad is all over the place without rythym his resolve overcomes a lot of this.
You see a few great plays by Casey but we need to see a lot more. Watson is just helpful in flashes but there is not enough there. And if we can’t get Nwoku to progress with our height problems we will be playing from downhill inside against many teams that will just have there way with us.

The good news is that we are healthy and we have a good coach who recognizes most of our deficiencies and can get this team in a position to win mainly with some of the same obstacles we have had in the past.

We all complain about a lack of height, but Duke and Purdue, with two of the best big men in the country both lost yesterday, Duke for the third time and they have multiple bigs. Our only loss was to a team that shot 60% from the floor. Hope is still alive.

Advertisement
Back