Vols Search

David Cutcliffe

Why would he leave Duke (no expectations, decent money, job security) and didn't already reject the job offer.

Because he can't win really at Duke, and the money would be far better at UT. Maybe job security is a big deal to Cutcliffe, but that would make him the exception, not the rule. Big money+program that can win>job security 99% in coaching.

He doesn't have to win at Duke. He may be content with what he is doing. I guarantee Duke is good with what he is doing.

Most coaches love job security, hence the tremendous long-term extensions and buyouts. Not sure many coaches that don't.

Tenn has quickly become a 2nd/3rd tier team in the SEC. I don't think they are going to top Bama or LSU. Plus teams like USC, UF, USCe, Ark and UGA are above them greatly. For Tenn to win it would take a bunch of things to go their way and David Cutclife isn't really one of them. I have no doubt that David can coach an offense but a whole team in the SEC, I doubt it.

If they want to win or be competitive in the SEC, Cutclife at HC isn't the answer. Get Petrino.

EVERYBODY loves job security, but not more than the chance to make big money and win big at a school that at least has a chance to do so. If job security was the deciding factor for most coaches, it would be easier for schools like Duke , Vanderbilt etc, that have low expectations in football to hire and retain good coaches. Instead they tend to have a revolving door at the position. Like a said, it's possible that Cutcliffe is the exception to the rule, or that he doesn't feel the UT job is a good job to step into, but I'm not sure I'd bet on that.

While I agree in general, it is not true for everyone. We have watched a bunch of coaches stay at inferior schools over the past 5 years. Once you fail on the national stage, you tend to fall off the earth for awhile. That is why I think some coaches are content with staying at inferior programs with better offers potentially on the table. The exception Gene Chizik, after his stint at Iowa State I thought he would never get another decent offer...but then Auburn came and we know.

Also, I am pretty sure before they hired Dooley they went after Cutclife and he rejected them. I just think Cutclife may be content at Duke.

Advertisement
From local talk radio, here are the names being thrown around in no particular order.

Gruden
Bill Cowher
Petrino
Vince Lombardi
Cutcliffe
Jesus Christ

Petrino or Davis. I think Davis would almost be a better fit, but the Arkansas job is going to come open too after the season I would guess.

From local talk radio, here are the names being thrown around in no particular order.

Gruden
Bill Cowher
Petrino
Vince Lombardi
Cutcliffe
Jesus Christ

Jesus won't be available till the end of December and I've also heard his dad gets involved in everything!

I heard Tennessee wanted to paint themselves as a racial friendly school and Randy Shannon was therefore being considered for the j.........aha, I can't even finish this with a straight face.

Advertisement

Gruden
Bill Cowher
Petrino
Vince Lombardi
Cutcliffe
Jesus Christ

Jesus won't be available till the end of December and I've also heard his dad gets involved in everything!

I live in Tenn they honestly think they are either getting gruden or cowher.

Basically the fans will think they **** the bed if they don't get gruden.

Expect for a ton of money to get thrown around.

Advertisement
Charlie Strong will get the Tennessee, Arkansas or Kentucky job. Petrino should also get a look at Kentucky and Tennessee. Willie Taggert may get the Kentucky job after doing a decent job at WKU.

Tennessee is a sleeping giant. One of the biggest recruiting budgets in CFB, great facilities, decent access to talent and they play in the SEC. If they can get a decent coach, it wont take them long to get back up.

Advertisement
Tennessee is a sleeping giant. One of the biggest recruiting budgets in CFB, great facilities, decent access to talent and they play in the SEC. If they can get a decent coach, it wont take them long to get back up.

This.

UT might be a 2nd/3rd tier football team they have all world potential.

Tennessee has one of the biggest recruiting budgets because they have to. They have no in state talent and need to hit up other states or else become Kentucky.

I realize these SEC teams need to "make a splash," but somebody needs to pick up Tosh Lupoi while he's still under the radar.

Advertisement
If they were smart, wanted to win, and get back to producing NFL talent...they'd hire Butch Davis.

This is going to be Tennessee's third hire since Phil Fulmer, and during each search, they come to the realization that NO ONE WANTS TO COACH AT TENNESSEE...no big name, anyway. They sent feelers out to a few big names before taking Lane Kiffin, before they hired Derek Dooley, they were looking at Gruden, Golden, Muschamp, Troy Calhoun, David Cutcliffe, Kyle Whittingham...all public rejections.

Now, they fire another guy, and expect a big name?

They should go with a low key hire of Butch Davis.

Could we temporarily ban any OP who mentions Golden going anywhere else for a while? The parade of OP idiots is getting annoying.

Advertisement
Back