Vols Search

Advertisement
I think Al Golden is the right guy for any job but if your UT I would want a more proven coach then Golden after there past two disaster hires.

Advertisement
I live in Tennessee. Most Vols fans want a bigger name (gruden). Media says UT needs to "make a splash" and I don't think Golden fits their needs/wants.

Vols need to simmer down expectations greatly, I understand they have some money but that job has no job security.

It would be funny if USC fired Kiffin and they picked him back up.

Advertisement
Vols need to simmer down expectations greatly, I understand they have some money but that job has no job security.

It would be funny if USC fired Kiffin and they picked him back up.

From a friend who has access to the UT AD, there is zero chance anyone with the last name of Kiffin ever steps on campus again.

Advertisement
Advertisement
David Cutcliffe

Why would he leave Duke (no expectations, decent money, job security) and didn't already reject the job offer.

Because he can't win really at Duke, and the money would be far better at UT. Maybe job security is a big deal to Cutcliffe, but that would make him the exception, not the rule. Big money+program that can win>job security 99% of the time in coaching.

Last edited:
David Cutcliffe

Why would he leave Duke (no expectations, decent money, job security) and didn't already reject the job offer.

Because he can't win really at Duke, and the money would be far better at UT. Maybe job security is a big deal to Cutcliffe, but that would make him the exception, not the rule. Big money+program that can win>job security 99% in coaching.

He doesn't have to win at Duke. He may be content with what he is doing. I guarantee Duke is good with what he is doing.

Most coaches love job security, hence the tremendous long-term extensions and buyouts. Not sure many coaches that don't.

Tenn has quickly become a 2nd/3rd tier team in the SEC. I don't think they are going to top Bama or LSU. Plus teams like USC, UF, USCe, Ark and UGA are above them greatly. For Tenn to win it would take a bunch of things to go their way and David Cutclife isn't really one of them. I have no doubt that David can coach an offense but a whole team in the SEC, I doubt it.

If they want to win or be competitive in the SEC, Cutclife at HC isn't the answer. Get Petrino.

Last edited:
David Cutcliffe

Because he can't win really at Duke, and the money would be far better at UT. Maybe job security is a big deal to Cutcliffe, but that would make him the exception, not the rule. Big money+program that can win>job security 99% in coaching.

He doesn't have to win at Duke. He may be content with what he is doing. I guarantee Duke is good with what he is doing.

Most coaches love job security, hence the tremendous long-term extensions and buyouts. Not sure many coaches that don't.

Tenn has quickly become a 2nd/3rd tier team in the SEC. I don't think they are going to top Bama or LSU. Plus teams like USC, UF, USCe, Ark and UGA are above them greatly. For Tenn to win it would take a bunch of things to go their way and David Cutclife isn't really one of them. I have no doubt that David can coach an offense but a whole team in the SEC, I doubt it.

If they want to win or be competitive in the SEC, Cutclife at HC isn't the answer. Get Petrino.

EVERYBODY loves job security, but not more than the chance to make big money and win big at a school that at least has a chance to do so. If job security was the deciding factor for most coaches, it would be easier for schools like Duke , Vanderbilt etc, that have low expectations in football to hire and retain good coaches. Instead they tend to have a revolving door at the position. Like a said, it's possible that Cutcliffe is the exception to the rule, or that he doesn't feel the UT job is a good job to step into, but I'm not sure I'd bet on that.

Advertisement
Back