Visits Visitors May 1-7, 2023

Not sure but plenty of WR5s are interested
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Advertisement
This would be an improvement over Cristobal based strictly on the clips. Good bend and overall movement.

I imagine they want to size him up in person. If he looks the part, and they think he can be a future starter, bring him in. He has three years of eligibility.
he also graduates an may so would be here all summer.

Bring him and Cristobal in as a walk on...****.

he also graduates an may so would be here all summer.

Bring him and Cristobal in as a walk on...****.
You see how much the Miami cost of attendance is starting next year? $89k! Per year!

Maybe Mario takes care of the nephew, but I can't imagine anyone willing to come to Miami as a P/WO unless they are coming from wealth and/or are getting some hefty scholarship $$.

Advertisement
I dont want him so i could care less. lol
Yeah - I knew what you were saying, it was more an excuse for me to post my disbelief at how expensive Miami has become. It was pricey when I was there around the turn of the century, but the costs have risen much faster than salaries/inflation. Considering baseball can't give full scholarships, I am surprised they are able to compete at all.

Advertisement
Advertisement
i got a lb committed to Ferris in this class...teammate last year of our rb commit cwh. Hes going to end up like thi skid too...he is about 6'1 closer to 6'2 215 and not done growing just slipped through the cracks playing in s.fla and because of the covid year.

Kid would of been a borderline power 5 offer kid but yet ferris state got a steal....

they put out nflplayers and they are a good school.

Zach Seiler is a **** beast and was a dolphin complete steal fromt he ravens
Probably going to make Ogbah a cap casualty

Who's on campus today?

No one. This is about who the staff is out visiting.

Representatives at Miami will check in on some blue-chip targets like Washington (DC) Friendship Collegiate Academy five-star EDGE Dylan Stewart, St. Louis (MO) University five-star wide receiver Ryan Wingo, Oradell (NJ) Bergen Catholic Top247 offensive lineman Nyier Daniels, Blountstown (Fla.) Top247 defensive lineman Artavius Jones, and Laurel (MD) St. Vincent Pallotti Top247 linebacker Gabriel Williams.

Also in that DMV area, Miami will check on one of their top linebacker targets in Severn (MD) Archbishop Spalding’s Keyshawn Flowers, who has an official visit with the Hurricanes scheduled for June 10. He’s a defensive prospect that the program highly values.

Miami is also scheduled to check in on commit Juan Minaya and another 2024 target in massive Hamburg (NY) St. Francis offensive lineman Marcus Harrison.

Advertisement

For most college-level football players, the high school recruiting process is marked by numerous offers and tough decisions. For Larry Nixon III, it was a pretty easy choice out of North Richland Hills (Tex.) Richland High School. That’s because he had all of one offer, from North Texas. So that’s where he wound up in the Class of 2018. Now, five years later? Call it his “real” recruiting process. Nixon III is a highly sought grad transfer linebacker who has opportunities from the likes of Miami, Auburn, Texas A&M, West Virginia and Oregon State.

His Hurricanes visit is set for this weekend, and right now it’s a two-team race between the Canes and Tigers with UM getting the first crack – his Auburn visit is set for next Thursday-Friday since he graduates on Saturday.

So where does Miami fit into his thinking heading into the weekend?

“At first I was leaning toward Miami heavy and still am, really,” said Nixon III, who is taking the visit with his parents. “But after really thinking about what can happen I’m stepping back from it and just really am going with the flow right now, trying to figure out what best fits me, what will get me to the league.

“Both (Miami and Auburn) are talking about me coming in and starting for them if I go in and work hard. And Miami is Linebacker U, so there’s that.”

He says if the Miami trip goes according to plan that a decision could come in short order.

“If things are going well, you know, that would definitely be a decision I would make then and there,” Nixon III said. “But I have to get out there and see for myself.”

Nixon III is being recruited to play WILL at Miami, the same spot he played at North Texas. At 6-1 and 230 pounds, he finished last season with 106 tackles, 2.5 for losses with a sack. Nixon III had 71 tackles the year prior.

So he’s a veteran playmaker with a nose for the ball.

Nixon III’s linebackers coach at North Texas, Jim Gush (who is now the defensive coordinator at University of the Incarnate Word Athletics in San Antonio, Tex.), says whoever lands him will have a top playmaker on its hands.

“I’ve coached at Baylor, Kansas State, had guys that played in the NFL,” Gush said. “There are certain things I think are important – base, pad level, change of direction, not crossing over. I was on Larry about all the fundamental things. He had all the athletic tools – length, size, it was just fine tuning all the things that you need to be successful as a linebacker. And getting his eyes in the right place, trusting his keys. I saw improvement from Day 1, his commitment to getting better, using his hands. He developed into a bigtime player for us.”

Does Gush see Nixon III being successful making the transition to a place like Miami?

“I do see that,” Gush said. “I followed (first year Miami coordinator) Lance Guidry after he was at McNeese (2013-18), I like the way he blitzes a lot, likes guys that have speed. That’s Larry’s forte. He can thrive in that situation.”

As for Nixon’s performance over the last four seasons per Pro Football Focus?

Last season he was credited with 15 quarterback hurries but had 17 missed tackles in 734 reps, grading out overall at 66.6 percent (71.2 run defense, 51.9 tackling, 78.0 pass rush, 56.2 in coverage). In 2021 he played 503 reps and had eight QB hurries and 16 missed tackles, grading out at 59.5 overall (57.3 run defense, 50.8 tackling, 78.0 pass rush and 54.9 in coverage). He played 585 reps in 2020 and graded out at 57.6 overall (59.1 run defense, 36.3 tackling, 69.0 pass rush, 54.7 coverage) and in 2019 played 129 reps and graded out at 81.7 percent (71.5 run defense, 71.9 tackling, 53.8 pass rush, 87.7 in coverage).

While grades aren’t going to overwhelm you, his potential is certainly there.

And now it’s on to the UM visit to see if that’s going to be his future home.
“At first I was leaning toward Miami heavy and still am, really.”
Larry Nixon III
Nixon says the closest he’s ever visited to Miami was Panama City, and that this weekend “Really I just want to see the campus in general, what the football program has to offer and everything as well and just the area. And I want to talk to the coaches, am really excited about picking their brains, seeing how they feel about this next coming season.”

He says he’s talking regularly with Miami LB coach Derek Nicholson as well as Mario Cristobal.

“They said they need some speed, a guy who has speed, size as well, an all-around guy,” Nixon III said. “That’s what they are looking for in their defense.”

After getting just one college opportunity out of high school, it’s a different situation now for Nixon III. He says the attention he’s gotten in the portal is “just crazy.”

“It’s big-name schools, a little overwhelming at times,” he said. “I’m just going with the flow, figuring out what’s best for me.”

CaneSport’s take
Nixon III’s plan as a graduate senior is to show out at a higher level of competition and then it’s off to the NFL. As his linebackers coach from North Texas said, his skillset fits what Guidry wants to do perfectly. Now, might Wesley Bissainthe have something to say about Nixon III coming in and starting? Perhaps. But that would be determined in fall drills. Nixon III also said if he doesn’t see what he wants at Miami or Auburn he’d schedule more visits, but his goal is to get on a campus for Summer A. We think if the Canes really want Nixon on board that he winds up on the team this year.

Advertisement
Back