Vish new article

Advertisement
Meh, not impressed.

It'll get the board residents all happy because it gives voice to their anger...but his point would have been stronger if he hadn't made it seem as though the UM admin has been lying to fans all along about everything under the sun, while fans just sit back and take it.

It's been shown time and time again that UM did not know (and could not have known) Shapiro was a fraud when they took his money. So why make it seem like they did? Why make it seem like the admin lied to fans by making fans think they were doing everything by the book...but really behind the scenes they were knowingly selling their souls for a 50k check at a bowling alley, knowingly committing NCAA infractions?

Stupid.

That's not to say that fans don't have a right to be ****ed. Golden's stubbornness and unwillingness to change a totally broken defensive philosophy is enough to **** anyone off. And the admin's poor decision-making WRT not firing him now, or at least not demanding immediate and major changes, is a tough pill to swallow too. So be angry...but making up **** to validate your anger doesn't really cut it, IMO.

There were PLENTY of things short of conducting the Ponzi scheme investigation themselves they "could have" and should have known (and probably did) about him.

Such as? Please let me know.

Did the UM legal staff not vet his financial records? My understanding is that they did, and that those records checked out clean. Which is part of why it took the freaking FBI so long to catch the guy...he was good at covering his tracks and falsifying documents.

So if his financials check out, why should UM have rejected his money?

With that money came the same access to the program that any donor at that level had. Should they have not given him that access? Based on what?

It wasn't just Randy Shannon who had issues with Shapiro.
There was that altercation between the Ponzi schemer and David Reed, who happened to be UM's Head of Compliance.
Those 2 facts should have been enough to have set off red-flags and, especially at program like UM which has had
a history with the NCAA, it should have triggered a separation of that criminal from UM athletics, regardless of how
much money he had pledged to donate and whether or not UM's lawyers vetted him.

Remember this?

"But Shapiro said his stake in Axcess jeopardized his standing as a booster on at least one occasion. During the
final game in the Orange Bowl in 2007, with the Hurricanes being embarrassed 31-0 at the half against Virginia,
Shapiro, intoxicated, said he confronted Miami's head of compliance, David Reed. According to a witness to the
event, an incensed Shapiro was stalking through the Orange Bowl press box at halftime when he spotted Reed.

In a rage, Shapiro began cursing at the compliance director, calling him a "sissy" and other derogatory names,
while attempting to draw him into a fight. In Shapiro's mind, Reed was part of the problem in a slumping Miami
program, largely for what Shapiro thought was too much oversight on relationships between players and
boosters. And in Shapiro's mind, that was worth picking a fistfight with the head of compliance in a crowded
press box.

"It was a huge scene," said a witness who helped pull Shapiro away on that day. "All the people in the press
box, the people sitting in the seats, they were all watching the entire thing. Nevin wanted to fight him. He
was up in his face screaming. I was like ‘Oh my God. He's going to punch [Reed] in the face.'"

Meh, not impressed.

It'll get the board residents all happy because it gives voice to their anger...but his point would have been stronger if he hadn't made it seem as though the UM admin has been lying to fans all along about everything under the sun, while fans just sit back and take it.

It's been shown time and time again that UM did not know (and could not have known) Shapiro was a fraud when they took his money. So why make it seem like they did? Why make it seem like the admin lied to fans by making fans think they were doing everything by the book...but really behind the scenes they were knowingly selling their souls for a 50k check at a bowling alley, knowingly committing NCAA infractions?

Stupid.

That's not to say that fans don't have a right to be ****ed. Golden's stubbornness and unwillingness to change a totally broken defensive philosophy is enough to **** anyone off. And the admin's poor decision-making WRT not firing him now, or at least not demanding immediate and major changes, is a tough pill to swallow too. So be angry...but making up **** to validate your anger doesn't really cut it, IMO.

There were PLENTY of things short of conducting the Ponzi scheme investigation themselves they "could have" and should have known (and probably did) about him.

Such as? Please let me know.

Did the UM legal staff not vet his financial records? My understanding is that they did, and that those records checked out clean. Which is part of why it took the freaking FBI so long to catch the guy...he was good at covering his tracks and falsifying documents.

So if his financials check out, why should UM have rejected his money?

With that money came the same access to the program that any donor at that level had. Should they have not given him that access? Based on what?

It wasn't just Randy Shannon who had issues with Shapiro.
There was that altercation between the Ponzi schemer and David Reed, who happened to be UM's Head of Compliance.
Those 2 facts should have been enough to have set off red-flags and, especially at program like UM which has had
a history with the NCAA, it should have triggered a separation of that criminal from UM athletics, regardless of how
much money he had pledged to donate and whether or not UM's lawyers vetted him.

Remember this?

"But Shapiro said his stake in Axcess jeopardized his standing as a booster on at least one occasion. During the
final game in the Orange Bowl in 2007, with the Hurricanes being embarrassed 31-0 at the half against Virginia,
Shapiro, intoxicated, said he confronted Miami's head of compliance, David Reed. According to a witness to the
event, an incensed Shapiro was stalking through the Orange Bowl press box at halftime when he spotted Reed.

In a rage, Shapiro began cursing at the compliance director, calling him a "sissy" and other derogatory names,
while attempting to draw him into a fight. In Shapiro's mind, Reed was part of the problem in a slumping Miami
program, largely for what Shapiro thought was too much oversight on relationships between players and
boosters. And in Shapiro's mind, that was worth picking a fistfight with the head of compliance in a crowded
press box.

"It was a huge scene," said a witness who helped pull Shapiro away on that day. "All the people in the press
box, the people sitting in the seats, they were all watching the entire thing. Nevin wanted to fight him. He
was up in his face screaming. I was like ‘Oh my God. He's going to punch [Reed] in the face.'"

I know all about that incident. Point is that he was a donor long before that...he'd been in and around the program since, what, 2002 or so? Being a drunk ******* at a game five years into being a donor (a game that was perhaps the most humiliating experience in UM history at the Orange Bowl, btw) is not grounds for canceling someone's check...

Last edited:
Vishnu proving the power of the pen... keyboard!!!

Keep hammering them Vish!

Canedom needs your light in this hour of darkness!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Best sports article I have seen since the days of Ed Pope. Not to all co-called print reporters, this is print journalism. Well done.

Advertisement
Back