Virginia Tech game 2000

Advertisement
By that point in the season the 2000 team is one of the best ever.
This. I don't think on paper we should have routed them if Vick was fully healthy. But I believe we would have for the exact reason 919 said above. It was like that emotional comeback win against fsu absolutely lit a fire under that squad! They rolled to a level I'm not sure I've ever seen a team roll after that. And I was at the OB that day (as I'm sure many of you were too) and there was blood in the air. It was similar in many ways to the climate the following year when the poor huskies came to town. People had "Suck my Vick" signs, EVERYONE was WANTING Michael to play, it was vick this and vick out of all mouths that day.... and I think if he hadn't been hurt, our Canes would have been out to absolutely punish him and them. I actually think we win by the same margin if not more if Vick hadn't been hurt that day - even though that seems super illogical.

Still cannot believe the BCS computers put FSU ahead of this team. I just remember chewing on a straw in my homegirl’s dorm room in anger watching that OU v FSU game just kept murmuring this should be Miami.
My senior ******* year. A chance to win a natty in our own back yard. SMH That BCS BS legit took at least a year of life expectancy off me. So did that loser Porter a couple years later.

@^#*&@#^*&@#Y^@*&#^Y@*&#^@*&#^ I'm mad about it to this day.

Advertisement
This. I don't think on paper we should have routed them if Vick was fully healthy. But I believe we would have for the exact reason 919 said above. It was like that emotional comeback win against fsu absolutely lit a fire under that squad! They rolled to a level I'm not sure I've ever seen a team roll after that. And I was at the OB that day (as I'm sure many of you were too) and there was blood in the air. It was similar in many ways to the climate the following year when the poor huskies came to town. People had "Suck my Vick" signs, EVERYONE was WANTING Michael to play, it was vick this and vick out of all mouths that day.... and I think if he hadn't been hurt, our Canes would have been out to absolutely punish him and them. I actually think we win by the same margin if not more if Vick hadn't been hurt that day - even though that seems super illogical.

And I respect your input, so you think we win by more if Vick played, that's pretty ******* cool, and after the Washington loss that team played at a higher level than I saw any team play even the 2001 sqaud.

And I respect your input, so you think we win by more if Vick played, that's pretty ******* cool, and after the Washington loss that team played at a higher level than I saw any team play even the 2001 sqaud.
Yeah, I know it doesn't make much sense, but I really do believe that. I say that mainly because I so distinctly remember the feeling in the air at the OB that day. Only other time I ever felt it like that was when washington came down the following season. There was palpable blood lust in the air, and the sense was we were going in that stadium to slay something, not to compete with something. I genuinely believe our boys took their foot off the gas that day once they realized Vick was hurt and the game was won. If it had been a true test, I think we were destined to rise to the occasion and slaughter them that afternoon. Nothing was stopping that 2000 bus once it got rolling. Nothing. I think we would have blown OU out by 30 points.

A top 5 game I've been to in my Canes fandom. One of those vibes in the air, even while tailgating you just knew Va Tech stood no chance. A healthy Vick would've made a difference but more so keeping the score appear respectable rather than beating us. Our defense was too good that day in what felt like 1000 ° Fahrenheit.

Advertisement
Still cannot believe the BCS computers put FSU ahead of this team. I just remember chewing on a straw in my homegirl’s dorm room in anger watching that OU v FSU game just kept murmuring this should be Miami.
Travesty. Along with Porter robbed us of 2 Natty's

Supposedly the 11 point win over La Tech really hurt Miami in the computers.

Miami would have basically been playing at home vs OU, and OU QB Josh Heupel was playing injured in that game. FSU only lost to OU because Mark Richt was preparing to become UGA head coach and infamously spent very little time gameplanning for OU. The FSU defense held the hobbled Heupel to 13 points, but the FSU offense scored 0.
No....FSU lost because Snoop Minnis didn't play....killed their passing game...

Advertisement
Yeah, I know it doesn't make much sense, but I really do believe that. I say that mainly because I so distinctly remember the feeling in the air at the OB that day. Only other time I ever felt it like that was when washington came down the following season. There was palpable blood lust in the air, and the sense was we were going in that stadium to slay something, not to compete with something. I genuinely believe our boys took their foot off the gas that day once they realized Vick was hurt and the game was won. If it had been a true test, I think we were destined to rise to the occasion and slaughter them that afternoon. Nothing was stopping that 2000 bus once it got rolling. Nothing. I think we would have blown OU out by 30 points.

Oh yeah, I believe you about OU had we played them that year, we blow them out the water, then we gone on to win back to back chips

Advertisement
2000 wasnt better talent wise but they played at a higher level than the 2001 team after the Washington loss

2000 was deeper , more talented just less experienced. I’ll always say that 2000 team was the best roster ever.

Just not as experienced...

Yep.

Dan Morgan , Santana , Wayne , Leonard Myers and James Jackson were on 2000. Myers was super underrated and Morgan was one of the best players I’ve ever seen at Miami in my 30 + years of being a fan. It’s sad they stumbled in Washington , in fairness it was one of the hardest places to play in the country then. We just came on too late, lots of early nerves.

Travesty. Along with Porter robbed us of 2 Natty's

It just amazes me how things come full circle:

1986, Vinny throws the game
1987, National Champs
1988, Refs ***** us over in ND

That’s our first 3 peat tricked off

2000, BCS computers ***** us twice
2001, National Champs
2002, Refs ***** us over against OSU

That’s our second 3 peat tricked off

We r fa sho missing 3 additional chips in our trophy case, and the Vinny topic is a sensitive one, but yeah, throw that one in too!

Advertisement
Back