Virginia Tech at Miami January 28th 2020 at 8 pm on the ACCN (Pregame predictions, Game thread and post game reactions)

Advertisement
Great victory. The fans calling for Coach L's head haven't been die hards during the Perry Clark era.

Coach L will retire on his own. He's earned this. He's elevated Miami basketball to levels we've never seen. Yes, the Adidas bull**** seems to be something he can't recover from but he's a good man, a hall of fame coach, and he'll retire on his own accord.

This is an NIT team at the very least and I expect a really solid run over the next couple years before he retires after 3 more seasons (this one included). We should appreciate and embrace these final moments with him leading our team because the post-Coach L era could look really ugly.

Advertisement
Could only watch off and on during the second half.

Almost gave it away but good last minute.

We win. I’ll take it

Didn't watch the game but all these injuries are somewhat of a blessing in disguise. Let Wong and Beverly play, get minutes, get confidence, and be ready to roll next season, when we are playing at a self imposed handicap

Pretty similar to the Pitt game from a few weeks ago when you think about it

Very similar. That was the last game I attended. I was thinking about the similarities all night.

At halftime it wasn't complicated. We had 44 points. Just get to 70. I was saying that to the fans sitting near me. If we get to 70 it almost doesn't matter what Virginia Tech does. We're huge favorites to win.

Then the second half is sputtering along at a laughable pace of less than 1 point per minute. The 70 points became very much in doubt. Virginia Tech had 6 team fouls with I believe 11 minutes remaining. Then we never got into the penalty until they fouled Sam intentionally with less than 2 minutes remaining.

Beverly keeps it interesting in both directions. Impossible to get too high or too low on him. Just when you think he's starting to mature he'll throw a stupid no-look pass smack to the opponent in a critical situation. I'm not sure TV was able to pick up that two of those long errant passes by Beverly were attempted no-lookers.

I was impressed with his shooting touch from the free throw line late in the game. Those shots all had confident stroke with same trajectory and spin every time.

Contrast to DJ who barely hit the side of the rim on a 1 and 1.

Also, Beverly seems very well spoken and sharp during the canned timeout gags. Tonight he was easily the best while discussing, "Is water wet?" That may seem trivial or irrelevant but at least I know he's a smart guy not a dummy. There is a chance his court IQ will come around. He's already less playground than early season.

As goofy as Rodney looks out there he can finish with either hand if the opposing big man doesn't overwhelm him.

BTW, that was the worst attended conference game in the 6 years I have had season tickets. And the athletic department needs to decide if it is serious about basketball or not. They have stopped opening up the gates at the Ponce garage. No staffing at that garage either. Previously they always had staffers directing you in and out, plus the gates open so cars could park on the upper floors for free. That's where we were directed to park for years. Now the gates are closed. The car in front of me stopped at the gate in dismay at what to do. Likewise the guy behind me. We all called the parking security guy over to talk to him. He said sometimes the basketball program tells them to open the gates and sometimes they do not. Tonight they said nothing so the gates were closed. I told him apparently they don't want my business. I started to back out and leave without attending the game. The guy behind me was standing outside his car and emphasizing exactly the same thing. This is low class to the max, especially without any warning and to change protocol in the middle of the season. Finally the parking security guy made a phone call and found out there was a Super Bowl event at the health center tonight and consequently the gates on the way out would remain open at least until 11 PM. That meant we could depart without a paid ticket. Wonderful. That takes care of tonight. But what about next Wednesday night at 8:30 PM? Is it going to be closed gates at the garage? I will not renew my season ticket if this situation continues.

Advertisement
Very similar. That was the last game I attended. I was thinking about the similarities all night.

At halftime it wasn't complicated. We had 44 points. Just get to 70. I was saying that to the fans sitting near me. If we get to 70 it almost doesn't matter what Virginia Tech does. We're huge favorites to win.

Then the second half is sputtering along at a laughable pace of less than 1 point per minute. The 70 points became very much in doubt. Virginia Tech had 6 team fouls with I believe 11 minutes remaining. Then we never got into the penalty until they fouled Sam intentionally with less than 2 minutes remaining.

Beverly keeps it interesting in both directions. Impossible to get too high or too low on him. Just when you think he's starting to mature he'll throw a stupid no-look pass smack to the opponent in a critical situation. I'm not sure TV was able to pick up that two of those long errant passes by Beverly were attempted no-lookers.

I was impressed with his shooting touch from the free throw line late in the game. Those shots all had confident stroke with same trajectory and spin every time.

Also, Beverly seems very well spoken and sharp during the canned timeout gags. Tonight he was easily the best while discussing, "Is water wet?" That may seem trivial or irrelevant but at least I know he's a smart guy not a dummy. There is a chance his court IQ will come around. He's already less playground than early season.

As goofy as Rodney looks out there he can finish with either hand if the opposing big man doesn't overwhelm him.

BTW, that was the worst attended conference game in the 6 years I have had season tickets. And the athletic department needs to decide if it is serious about basketball or not. They have stopped opening up the gates at the Ponce garage. No staffing at that garage either. Previously they always had staffers directing you in and out, plus the gates open so cars could park on the upper floors for free. That's where we were directed to park for years. Now the gates are closed. The car in front of me stopped at the gate in dismay at what to do. Likewise the guy behind me. We all called the parking security guy over to talk to him. He said sometimes the basketball program tells them to open the gates and sometimes they do not. Tonight they said nothing so the gates were closed. I told him apparently they don't want my business. I started to back out and leave without attending the game. The guy behind me was standing outside his car and emphasizing exactly the same thing. This is low class to the max, especially without any warning and to change protocol in the middle of the season. Finally the parking security guy made a phone call and found out there was a Super Bowl event at the health center tonight and consequently the gates on the way out would remain open at least until 11 PM. That meant we could depart without a paid ticket. Wonderful. That takes care of tonight. But what about next Wednesday night at 8:30 PM? Is it going to be closed gates at the garage? I will not renew my season ticket if this situation continues.
Park under the Metrorail for night games. I park there all the time and never had an issue, Sat Afternoon games is the same.

A good team effort per Coach L. Thanks for playing everyone available on the team.

The freshman guards are growing into ACC caliber guards. That happens with playing time.

Anthony Walker had 7 points and 4 rebounds in 13 minutes. Good production per Coach L. I think he needs more playing time.

Rodney Miller had 11 points and 9 rebounds. He probably would have scored more if he was not double teamed. Coach L may br right. Rodney might win the ACC Most Improved Player Award. I didn't know that award existed.

Harlond scored 7 of the last 11 points for the team. That is being clutch.

Advertisement

Rodney Miller had 11 points and 9 rebounds. He probably would have scored more if he was not double teamed. Coach L may br right. Rodney might win the ACC Most Improved Player Award. I didn't know that award existed.

Harlond scored 7 of the last 11 points for the team. That is being clutch.

Rodney has been fantastic. Need to feed him more.

I had similar issues parking at the FSU game. No warnings given by UM.

Advertisement
That’s the Rodney we love.

- Missing a rebound, leads to a VT 3
- Missing a pass, Miami TO
- Rodney with the awful D, easy bucket
Ok, your bashing of Rodney is a bit out of hand. Yes, we know he's extremely limited athletically. Yes, we know he's not the strongest. Yes, we know he's a defensive liability.

BUT: he had 11 points and 9 rebounds last night vs. a halfway decent opponent. He's actually been much more effective in ACC play than in the OoC slate. In league games, he's averaging 8 points, 7 boards and shooting 59%. Is he a force? Not even close! But it's time to tip our caps and acknowledge that he has developed into a decent low post threat, which is more than I think any of us could've ever imagined. He was critical in our win last night.

So can we back off the bashing for just one minute? It's not his fault L has to play him more than he should be out there due to our constant lack of depth problems (that's L's fault, not Rodney's). I see a kid that is out there busting his *** and providing leadership.

This season, I think, has set multiple new attendance lows. Would I be correct to say student interest is pretty non-existent? We had more students, back in the mid 60s, traveling all the way to the Miami Beach Aud or Conv Ctr to watch Rick Barry's teams.

The on-campus facility was supposed to solve our attendance woes.

This season, I think, has set multiple new attendance lows. Would I be correct to say student interest is pretty non-existent? We had more students, back in the mid 60s, traveling all the way to the Miami Beach Aud or Conv Ctr to watch Rick Barry's teams.

The on-campus facility was supposed to solve our attendance woes.
You'd be correct. The student turnout for FSU was appalling. Maybe 200 for our biggest rival? Last night, there couldn't have been more than 15 students.

Advertisement
Back