Virginia series

Advertisement
Bottom of the tenth actually. Had runners on in the bottom of the ninth too and couldn't score then either. We have nine hits, but only one is extra bases. We can't produce runs unless there are errors. Even with three walks in a single inning we couldn't manufacture the winning run. We even pinch hit for our cleanup hitter in that bases loaded situation. Think about what that says about our lineup.

Bottom of the tenth actually. Had runners on in the bottom of the ninth too and couldn't score then either. We have nine hits, but only one is extra bases. We can't produce runs unless there are errors. Even with three walks in a single inning we couldn't manufacture the winning run. We even pinch hit for our cleanup hitter in that bases loaded situation. Think about what that says about our lineup.

Thanks, I'm watching on a choppy WatchESPN and lost track of the inning.

Thanks, I'm watching on a choppy WatchESPN and lost track of the inning.

Watch ESPN is a blessing and a curse. I love being able to watch pretty much every Canes baseball game. But it seems to put me in a bad mood more often than not this season.

Let's see what happens here in the 12th. Two more baserunners (both nice hits) with no outs...

Advertisement
**** yeah. Bullpen threw a few nice innings there to keep giving us chances. Had to take advantage eventually if we kept putting runners on. Wish we didn't make it hard on ourselves, but I'll take it.

Nice win. Team batting have average is up from .235 to .253 after the last three games. After tonight Cook should be the lefty setup guy with Mediavilla in middle relief. Gil’s performance at first means we’ve likely seen the last of Toral for a while.

The pitching is good enough that they can go on a run if the D tightens up, and they can hit a bit better. It would be nice to see just a little pop out of the bats. 7 hr in 21 games is anemic. But with Gil, Toral, and Romy not hitting and Reyes and Amditis on the shelf I guess there isn't much power to display.

A very much needed win!!! I was screaming at the tv most of the game.

All but forgotten is the coaching blunder by DiMare in the 7th inning. Quinones led off with a single. Then Escala bunted him over to 2nd. With one out Gil hits a line drive single to left field in which the left fielder scooped up on 5 hops. Knowing that Quinones doesn't run well and how hard the ball was hit directly at the left fielder, DiMare should have had an automatic STOP on Quinones by pointing to 3rd base, instead he waves him thru 3rd base then gives him the "hold up" sign. Quinones can't get back in time and he's thrown out at 3rd for the 2nd out of the inning killing the opportunity for the go ahead run.

The announcers didn't see it, but if you look at the replay, you can clearly see DiMare waving Quinones thru 3rd.

Could have been another crushing defeat that this team may not have recovered from.

DiMare needs to get his act together. As of now I'm not high on his coaching ability.

Advertisement
The pitching is good enough that they can go on a run if the D tightens up, and they can hit a bit better. It would be nice to see just a little pop out of the bats. 7 hr in 21 games is anemic. But with Gil, Toral, and Romy not hitting and Reyes and Amditis on the shelf I guess there isn't much power to display.

Exactly. I expect the team batting average will continue to climb and will end up respectable. But without Reyes there just isn't any pop. Single, single, single, single... Extra base hits, and especially homers, are rare with this group so scoring runs is going to continue to be a struggle. Hopefully Romy can find last year's pop. Not sure if there are any other potential power guys on the roster besides Toral and Perez, who both have more fundamental things to figure out first.

Gino’s first move as head coach should be to make someone else third base coach. Canes lead 1-0 mid 3 on a ball lost in the lights by the UVA LF. McKendry with 7 Ks so far.

And another game with 8 hits, but not much in the way of extra bases. Our run came on a fly ball that probably should be caught, so even that wasn't really earned (even if the official playbook says it is). We need UVA to give us more walks and errors please. Thrown out on the basepaths a couple times too. McKendry was awesome, but no insurance runs scares me going into the last couple innings.

Advertisement
Oh boy. Hit batter with 2 outs and 2 strikes in the ninth. It's something about Miami sports this year that we just can't bury teams. Always gotta make it interesting.

Advertisement
Technically, a series win over a ranked opponent although UVA is pretty pedestrian. McKendry was outstanding again. Need to clean things up on the base paths with four outs given away.

Sweep is a must after the FAU loss. A three game winning streak and getting over .500 have both eluded us so far. Hopefully that changes tomorrow.

Last edited:
Technically, a series win over a ranked opponent although UVA is pretty pedestrian. McKendry was outstanding again. Need to clean things up on the base paths with four outs given away.

Sweep is a must after the FAU loss. A three game winning streak and getting over .500 have both eluded us so far. Hopefully that changes tomorrow.
I agree. The team needs to come out hungry on Sunday. They can't be satisfied with just a series win. A sweep is there for the taking and would put them at 6-3 in the conference with a chance to to be on top of the Coastal with a Duke loss. Pitt beat Duke earlier today. Both Duke and Miami now at 5-3. Obviously, Duke holds the tie breaker.

The Cloonan caught stealing in the 8th was a sick joke. Has to be over 100,000 outs given away under Morris.

Advertisement
Back