Vincent Davis, Jr., RB, Cardinal Gibbons

A guy I used to coach optimist football with (whose son will be the starting QB at Gibbons after Scalzo graduates) raves about Vincent Davis, Jr. He told me that the kid is very fast, runs with a low pad level and is like a bowling ball out there.

Yes, all of this. He made some impressive catches in red zone pass drills vs LBs. Great hands.

He is on shorter side but very well built similar to Cam Davis. Super fast, he won that race with ease yesterday. Very quick feet, was watching him during RB drills.

He is going to be an absolute steal wherever he lands. I’m a fan.

Stefan has an interview coming up with him this week.

Advertisement
Wanted to get this out about Vinny, and Khris as well. Both came to Gibbons well behind in their academics, it wasnt that they were incapable of getting the work done, they were just so far behind in the amount of education they received at their prior schools. Instead of coasting on their athletic ability, and doing the bare minimum, instead they went every tuesday and thursday and received extra tutoring (this was not mandated by Dubuc) and caught up very quickly.
I know this is a football board and we just want to know how well the excel on the field, which they obviously do, but they also are very humble, respectful young men. My parent teaches at Gibbons and had them both in class. (S)he had nothing but overwhelming positive things to say about the both of them. They show up to class: on time, in uniform, with assignments completed on time, and most of all show the utmost respect in class and outside the classroom. Its just me but i think thats important when recruiting kids to your program. Yes RJ left early, despite some of us thinking it wasnt the decision. But he was never a problem at Miami and performed well above his HS ranking.

That being said Oklahoma is recruiting Vinny the hardest and as on now thats who he favors

*side note on Khris
Hes a very good basketball player and that will play a factor in his recruitment. I doubt Saban or Smart will allow him to play basketball, maybe Richt wont either. But Ive used the Peppers comparison to Bogle, and he had a down year on the court this year, but he had his best game againt Calvery (think he had 38 or something like that). Kid is a big time player in big games.
Thanks for sharing. Completely agree that attitude and work ethic > talent alone. The U needs players that want to be winners @ life, not just between the lines. Look forward to any other nuggets your (S)he wants to share with us.

Edit: BTW, imagine front court of VC2 + KB, Coach L wets his pants 4 sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. Completely agree that attitude and work ethic > talent alone. The U needs players that want to be winners @ life, not just between the lines. Look forward to any other nuggets your (S)he wants to share with us.

Edit: BTW, imagine front court of VC2 + KB, Coach L wets his pants 4 sure.

Im heading back down on Hillsborough county's spring break, Me and Hambo (baseball coach) are pretty tight, to scout some of the hitters. Ive spoke to those two personally, among other athletes in other sports, of the recruiting process. Like ive said in the past when they commit, to whomever it is, I think they stick.

**im not a football guy, so my conversations are always academic/life conversations, and im always in Gibbons gear so no one feels the need to push a false narrative.

Agree. I just don't see him as a big-time college back unless he adds some size. Part of what makes him elusive while making people miss tackles is that quickness, size, and speed. Next level though, he gets wrapped up on a lot of those runs.

Which he will do. He's 165-170 as a JR in High School. By his Soph year in college he'll likely be 190-200 lbs which is fine. He may not get taller, but I don't give a fack about that. I prefer RBs in the 5'8 - 5'11 range.

Most 16/17 year-old kids gain a fair amount of weight in the ensuing years.

Which he will do. He's 165-170 as a JR in High School. By his Soph year in college he'll likely be 190-200 lbs which is fine. He may not get taller, but I don't give a fack about that. I prefer RBs in the 5'8 - 5'11 range.

Most 16/17 year-old kids gain a fair amount of weight in the ensuing years.

The problem is I've heard he's more like 5'6?

Advertisement
5'7, 173 at the Rivals camp. I will say he looked a little bigger to the eye test.

My dad's 5'9" and Vinny is the same height or slightly shorter then she is.
Duke was 5'9" 206 (at Miami), young man is gonna be very similar to Duke at the same age. And like they say "the tape doesn't lie."

5'7, 173 at the Rivals camp. I will say he looked a little bigger to the eye test.

Thanks Dmoney...D I will ask you the same question I asked gogetta last week (and he obliged), rank these backs from the last 2 seasons. Obv Ford was down around 5'5/5'6 and UM just isn't taking that, but how do you rank these 5 undersized backs

J.Ford
Shivers
J. Stuart
V.Davis
T.Jones (AH)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Thanks Dmoney...D I will ask you the same question I asked gogetta last week, rank these backs from the last 2 seasons. Obv Ford was down around 5'5/5'6 and UM just isn't taking that, but how do you rank these 5 undersized backs

J.Ford
Shivers
J. Stuart
V.Davis
T.Jones (AH)

Thanks in advance!
Outside of Lingard, Shivers was the one back I wish this staff would've gotten

Advertisement
Thanks Dmoney...D I will ask you the same question I asked gogetta last week (and he obliged), rank these backs from the last 2 seasons. Obv Ford was down around 5'5/5'6 and UM just isn't taking that, but how do you rank these 5 undersized backs

J.Ford
Shivers
J. Stuart
V.Davis
T.Jones (AH)

Thanks in advance!

Ford was the most exciting and the best football player. Shivers was the fastest and had great character from what I've heard. I would say Davis next, and Stuart and Jones in the next tier.

His film jumps off the screen ... I would be on the phone and at his door stop ... Pronto!!

Kid has some serious wheels but I wouldn’t take him over either of the IMG kids or McIntosh

I agree with an earlier poster where this kid will go out of state and have people asking us during his career how we “let him get away”

Kid has some serious wheels but I wouldn’t take him over either of the IMG kids or McIntosh

I agree with an earlier poster where this kid will go out of state and have people asking us during his career how we “let him get away”

Is McIntosh's future at RB? IMO his RB film isn't impressive. Doesn't seem to have much burst at all.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back