Off-Topic Vidja Games...Whatcha playin'?

I mean if I'm spending more than the cost of a ps5 I want ray tracing and 4k at 60fps. What card would you recommend that would allow that?
But do we know what the cost of a PS5 is yet? Do we even know if the PS5 will be able to reach 4k 60 fps consistently? And if it does reach that performance, is it at lower quality settings? I think we're comparing apples and oranges.

Advertisement
Hello everyone! I have been a forum lurker for over two years now here and I love all of the topics and conversations, not to mention the amazing insight and knowledgable posters but a forum thread finally was started, thank you @Dan E. Dangerously, that I finally felt comfortable enough to participate in. I am a variety gamer but right now the Wastelanders update pulled me back in pretty dedicatedly to Fallout 76. Despite the myriad of issues that Bethesda’s games have, I cannot stay away... Especially from one of my favourite franchises of all time. I’ve gamed since 1998 (I think) with StarCraft and Age of Empires and I do love reading what everyone is playing... Now to the point of making my first post here; To respond to a question from @5ringshowboutu, I have built three computers to keep up with the times so I can offer a good bit of insight but the best question for me to ask first is what your price range is... Most current midrange cards can handle 4k at 60 FPS but very few can handle every game with maxed graphics at 4K 60. The ones that can are, for Nvidia at least, the 1080Ti (though it is quite a bit outdated for the price point), the 2080 and 2080Ti, though keep in mind that the RTX cards are built for raytracing so they aren’t actually the most efficient if you decide to NOT enable raytracing. Sadly, I am not an expert by any stretch but I do have enough knowledge to make suggestions on the Nvidia front so I do hope we can engage in conversion! Thank you for reading this exceedingly lengthy introduction novella and I promise I will keep any other posts I do make much more brief! Oh and the other games I play are:

-Total War Warhammer II
-Call of Duty Modern Warfare
-Battlefront 2
-Battlefield 4
-various RPGs and RTSes

Advertisement
But do we know what the cost of a PS5 is yet? Do we even know if the PS5 will be able to reach 4k 60 fps consistently? And if it does reach that performance, is it at lower quality settings? I think we're comparing apples and oranges.

My personal opinion after spending 4 grand to build my pc less than two years ago, is I would have bought a ps4 pro, Xbox one x, a switch and a midrange gaming laptop like a nitro 5.

And still have enough money left over to go to a canes game or two.

Hello everyone! I have been a forum lurker for over two years now here and I love all of the topics and conversations, not to mention the amazing insight and knowledgable posters but a forum thread finally was started, thank you @Dan E. Dangerously, that I finally felt comfortable enough to participate in. I am a variety gamer but right now the Wastelanders update pulled me back in pretty dedicatedly to Fallout 76. Despite the myriad of issues that Bethesda’s games have, I cannot stay away... Especially from one of my favourite franchises of all time. I’ve gamed since 1998 (I think) with StarCraft and Age of Empires and I do love reading what everyone is playing... Now to the point of making my first post here; To respond to a question from @5ringshowboutu, I have built three computers to keep up with the times so I can offer a good bit of insight but the best question for me to ask first is what your price range is... Most current midrange cards can handle 4k at 60 FPS but very few can handle every game with maxed graphics at 4K 60. The ones that can are, for Nvidia at least, the 1080Ti (though it is quite a bit outdated for the price point), the 2080 and 2080Ti, though keep in mind that the RTX cards are built for raytracing so they aren’t actually the most efficient if you decide to NOT enable raytracing. Sadly, I am not an expert by any stretch but I do have enough knowledge to make suggestions on the Nvidia front so I do hope we can engage in conversion! Thank you for reading this exceedingly lengthy introduction novella and I promise I will keep any other posts I do make much more brief! Oh and the other games I play are:

-Total War Warhammer II
-Call of Duty Modern Warfare
-Battlefront 2
-Battlefield 4
-various RPGs and RTSes

Ling rush!

I thought TLOU2 was a masterpiece. This dudes review was him just repeating his anger about the leaks
Yea, Angry Joe usually just likes the sound of his own screams.

My main problem was playing as Abby for so long. I didn't mind Joel dying or even learning about Abby's motivation. But making me play for 10 hours as Abby when all I wanted was to get back to playing as Ellie really didn't sit well with me.

My personal opinion after spending 4 grand to build my pc less than two years ago, is I would have bought a ps4 pro, Xbox one x, a switch and a midrange gaming laptop like a nitro 5.

Woah! Four thousand?? Care to detail or link your rig please? I spent just over 1300 to put my last one together and that was in the Fall of 2017... I know the prices for the RTX line are pretty ridiculous but I didn’t expect that much. Luckily every indicator is telling us that the 3000 line, including the 3080Ti and 3090Ti (placeholder names that just follow the convention), will be somewhat lower in price to compete with AMD and the next gen consoles so for PC players, it is looking like a win/win!

my rig is;
-Corsair Crystal Series Mid ATX case
-Corsair H100i V2 CPU pump
-Corsair 850W gold PSU
-Ripjaw GSkill 3200hz DDR5 RAM
-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard
-Intel i7 8700k
-ASUS STRIX 1080Ti 3OC GPU

Advertisement
Woah! Four thousand?? Care to detail or link your rig please? I spent just over 1300 to put my last one together and that was in the Fall of 2017... I know the prices for the RTX line are pretty ridiculous but I didn’t expect that much. Luckily every indicator is telling us that the 3000 line, including the 3080Ti and 3090Ti (placeholder names that just follow the convention), will be somewhat lower in price to compete with AMD and the next gen consoles so for PC players, it is looking like a win/win!

my rig is;
-Corsair Crystal Series Mid ATX case
-Corsair H100i V2 CPU pump
-Corsair 850W gold PSU
-Ripjaw GSkill 3200hz DDR5 RAM
-ASRock Z370 Extreme4 Motherboard
-Intel i7 8700k
-ASUS STRIX 1080Ti 3OC GPU

Did you buy your strix used? Becuase i was pricing them then and they were $1400 lol

Started with two ftw3 in sli. Was more headache than it was worth and sold one.
20200710_202554.jpg

Yeah at that point I would probably tend to agree with you lol. Although, Xbox is making itself obsolete with play anywhere so I would probably leave them out.

Advertisement
No. Uh... I wonder if the data mining craze got to them as you were building yours? I know for a fact that skyrocketed card prices but mine was purchased from Newegg for 670 dollars =X ahh okay I see where some of the extra cost is from at least overall. You like pretty lights! I do too but I always go function over form! For a comparison this is my rig xD apologies for the glare. I tried to cut it down as much as I could but yeah. I imagine that might be what happened was you got yours after the prices spiked. 1400 for a 1080Ti is criminal...
image.jpg

Yeah at that point I would probably tend to agree with you lol. Although, Xbox is making itself obsolete with play anywhere so I would probably leave them out.

Don't get me wrong I love pc gaming. Its just so expensive to keep up with opposed to a console. Video game thread on cis who woulda thought.

First TD scored by king your boy is yelling "LEEEEEEEEEERRRRRROOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYY"

Did you buy your strix used? Becuase i was pricing them then and they were $1400 lol

Started with two ftw3 in sli. Was more headache than it was worth and sold one.
View attachment 121141
Love your wallpaper by the way! Buuut yeah, I was speculating if you SLI’d which I would honestly never recommend unless you know you are playing games that actually know how to code and optimise for SLI or crossfire (if you add talking AMD) otherwise you can actually get WORSE performance than with a single card... A good number of big console titles that are also released on PC have issues with two main things only really found on PCs; multiple GPU setups and, of course, hyperthreading vs multithreading with regards to individual physical core usage and load distribution.

Advertisement
No. Uh... I wonder if the data mining craze got to them as you were building yours? I know for a fact that skyrocketed card prices but mine was purchased from Newegg for 670 dollars =X ahh okay I see where some of the extra cost is from at least overall. You like pretty lights! I do too but I always go function over form! For a comparison this is my rig xD apologies for the glare. I tried to cut it down as much as I could but yeah. I imagine that might be what happened was you got yours after the prices spiked. 1400 for a 1080Ti is criminal...View attachment 121147

Strix's are selling for that used on eBay right now lol

Love your wallpaper by the way! Buuut yeah, I was speculating if you SLI’d which I would honestly never recommend unless you know you are playing games that actually know how to code and optimise for SLI or crossfire (if you add talking AMD) otherwise you can actually get WORSE performance than with a single card... A good number of big console titles that are also released on PC have issues with two main things only really found on PCs; multiple GPU setups and, of course, hyperthreading vs multithreading with regards to individual physical core usage and load distribution.

It's dynamic and changes to a picture of sebastian too. It was soooo buggy. Crashed all the time, nothing like being 40 man raid deep and game crashed. Amazingly it was usually during a healer run.

Man i just trashed my 2014 naga for a g502 hero. I love it. Best mouse I've ever used.

Last edited:
Strix's are selling for that used on eBay right now lol
****... Well! Hopefully the introduction of the 3000 series to compete directly with Big Navi from AMD will reset the price field a little. Obviously building a high end PC will always be more expensive than buying a console but there are a number of factors to consider here... First and foremost you have much more control over your gaming on PC. Like for me? I have really bad VR and motion sickness so things like narrow FOVs, motion blur, depth of field? Those all can make me feel ill so being able to disable those is so important... Then, of course there is frame rate and refresh rate and ms delay time decreases by playing on a monitor vs a TV as well as a larger fame catalogue that, thanks to Steam and other DRMs, usually mean you will get games for less than a console player will... But, overall, PC gaming (and certainly building) is a bargain hunting extravaganza where you may buy things for your build months apart because you see them on a 35% flash sale. That’s how I build mine anyways... Still blown away by that price hike though. Had no idea it was that severe for the 10 series. The 20 I expected because RTX is the new eye candy.

****... Well! Hopefully the introduction of the 3000 series to compete directly with Big Navi from AMD will reset the price field a little. Obviously building a high end PC will always be more expensive than buying a console but there are a number of factors to consider here... First and foremost you have much more control over your gaming on PC. Like for me? I have really bad VR and motion sickness so things like narrow FOVs, motion blur, depth of field? Those all can make me feel ill so being able to disable those is so important... Then, of course there is frame rate and refresh rate and ms delay time decreases by playing on a monitor vs a TV as well as a larger fame catalogue that, thanks to Steam and other DRMs, usually mean you will get games for less than a console player will... But, overall, PC gaming (and certainly building) is a bargain hunting extravaganza where you may buy things for your build months apart because you see them on a 35% flash sale. That’s how I build mine anyways... Still blown away by that price hike though. Had no idea it was that severe for the 10 series. The 20 I expected because RTX is the new eye candy.
Screenshot_20200710-210050_eBay.jpg

Advertisement
Back