Off-Topic Vidja Games...Whatcha playin'?

@Dhatguy, @TerragonSix, @LeedsCane, @OBLIVION
Alright, Im ready to buy or build a gaming pc. Looking to get a high end pc that I wont have to upgrade soon. Doesnt have to be top of the line but something with a good balance of great performance vs great resolution. Something I can run those taxing visual mods with no framerate drops or slow performance on games like GTA, Read Dead, 2k, flight simulator, etc.

Problem is I dont know where to start. If I should build my own or get a pre built pc. I have no experience building a PC but can work my way around it with guidance or a guide. Im also not to up to date on terms when dealing with components like cpu, gpu, video cards, types of memory, types of storage, underclocking, types of motherboards, types of cooling fans, etc. Ive seen some guides to building a pc using google but figured its enough knowledgeable posters here that can help me out. If any of you guys dont want or have the time to walk me through the process, pointing me in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Whats your budget?

Cpu: Central proccessing unit. The calculator of your computer.

Gpu: Graphics processing unit. The video card. Processes graphics you see on screen. Commonly referred to as a video card. Essential for video gaming.

Memory: Typically know as RAM (Random access memory). When you open an application, including video games, it uses this. Capacity is important, but so is its speed.

Types of storage:

SATA Hard drive: Large, cheap, capable of storing a lot of data, has longevity. Its cons that its slower to access the data than more modern components.

SATA SDD/ NVME: Two versions of the same thing, solid state drives. Fast, responsive, but the cons to them are they have a relatively short life span compared to hard disk drives and more expensive. However they will give you faster boot times and faster loading times in apps.

Motherboards come in many form factors, with different features, and different CPU's it will take. (Intel vs. AMD).

Types of cooling: Air or Water. Air is cheaper and longer lasting, but louder. Water is more expensive, but quieter.

Currently I'm running:

i9-12900kf
32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR 5 Ram
Asrock RX 6900 Formula
ASUS ROG Motherboard
Cooler Master AIO Water Block
2x 2tb Sabrent Nvme SDD's (One is flashed as a clone backup)
Windows 11

Current market to build a mid range cpu with new components is in the 1-2k range.

Advertisement
Whats your budget?

Cpu: Central proccessing unit. The calculator of your computer.

Gpu: Graphics processing unit. The video card. Processes graphics you see on screen. Commonly referred to as a video card. Essential for video gaming.

Memory: Typically know as RAM (Random access memory). When you open an application, including video games, it uses this. Capacity is important, but so is its speed.

Types of storage:

SATA Hard drive: Large, cheap, capable of storing a lot of data, has longevity. Its cons that its slower to access the data than more modern components.

SATA SDD/ NVME: Two versions of the same thing, solid state drives. Fast, responsive, but the cons to them are they have a relatively short life span compared to hard disk drives and more expensive. However they will give you faster boot times and faster loading times in apps.

Motherboards come in many form factors, with different features, and different CPU's it will take. (Intel vs. AMD).

Types of cooling: Air or Water. Air is cheaper and longer lasting, but louder. Water is more expensive, but quieter.

Currently I'm running:

i9-12900kf
32gb Corsair Vengeance DDR 5 Ram
Asrock RX 6900 Formula
ASUS ROG Motherboard
Cooler Master AIO Water Block
2x 2tb Sabrent Nvme SDD's (One is flashed as a clone backup)
Windows 11

Current market to build a mid range cpu with new components is in the 1-2k range.
2.5k is my budget.
These are my current spects on the Omen laptop I talked to you guys about a few years ago. I had to replace the hard drive on it in January but it’s been good to me…….

9C2533C4-86BF-4347-B186-048E60EEBB23.jpeg
D0137A54-EF93-4BA3-BC6D-2A5295AEB2E1.jpeg
6D066C42-109F-4BB1-A855-8784A1B66B52.jpeg

2.5k is my budget.
These are my current spects on the Omen laptop I talked to you guys about a few years ago. I had to replace the hard drive on it in January but it’s been good to me…….

View attachment 238720View attachment 238721
That's plenty to get a high-end rig. Do you have a monitor (a nice one), keyboard, and mouse? Or is it 2.5k for the computer alone?

Also, don't be afraid of building your own. If you can put legos together or build something from Ikea you have the ability to build a pc. Just have a good Youtube tutorial open while building it.

Advertisement
That's plenty to get a high-end rig. Do you have a monitor (a nice one), keyboard, and mouse? Or is it 2.5k for the computer alone?
Only thing that I have is a Thrustmaster that I play GT7 on the PS5. Ive also tried the Thrustmaster connected to my Omen along with my Oculus to play F1 2022 and the semi truck simulator. The simulator gave me motion sickness lol.

I did but didn’t get to beat the world boss.

Ah that sucks. I got him with 5 seconds remaining on mine and logged in the last day on a buddy of mines who hadn’t completed it. That run we whooped it with almost 7 minutes left.

Advertisement
Ah that sucks. I got him with 5 seconds remaining on mine and logged in the last day on a buddy of mines who hadn’t completed it. That run we whooped it with almost 7 minutes left.
Yeah my in laws showed up at noon instead of 3pm like I told them too for Mother’s Day. Had planned on trying at noon. Spent the night getting to level 20 for nothing. Lol

Yeah my in laws showed up at noon instead of 3pm like I told them too for Mother’s Day. Had planned on trying at noon. Spent the night getting to level 20 for nothing. Lol

In laws they ruin everything. Yeah this friend works corrections overnight and the past weekend was one of his (every other). He just got to level 20 before the 9am spawn Sunday and wiped and that was his only shot at it. His account is linked on my Xbox so I hopped on the last shot at noon.

Advertisement
What do you mean by this?

I use one solid state drive for all my stuff, and when i did a factory install, I used a SSD clone tool to make an exact duplicate of a factory install. SSD's last about five or less years (They have a finite amount of disk writes they can do before they brick), so when my first one fails, I can swap it for my cloned one and keep going.

I'm a 90s PC guy. (And got started on a Tandy 1000). Redundancy for your data is hardwired in my head, and I do not trust cloud storage.

Having a portable backup hdd is a good idea as well.

Some years back I had a novel I was working on (Some 30,000 words) that I permanently lost because I did not even make a usb drive backup of it.

Never again, lol

2.5k gets you:

Ryzen 9 7900
Rx 7900
32gb ram
4 tb ssd
fancy motherboard
fancy case
water cooling if you want it

I would rec Nvidia but their prices are absolutely ridiculous, especially for the 4090.
This right here is what my buddy just built. Pretty sick setup

Advertisement
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($318.89)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 62 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($231.09)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.01)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($154.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: Deepcool FK120 68.99 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 27.0" 2560 x 1440 240 Hz Curved Monitor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Logitech K270 Wireless Gaming Keyboard ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech M720 Triathlon Bluetooth Optical Mouse ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 10 W Speakers ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $3845.86

---Being doing a little research and said F it, go big or go home. Also didnt factor in that I need a desk, mouse, keyboard, and chair but I think I can go cheap on those items. It will be a little bit cheaper altogether because I found a bundle for $550 with the motherboard, CPU, and memory on reddit. Had a friend pick it up for me in Dallas and its been shipped. https://www.microcenter.com/product...ries-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-combo

---Decided to go with the 4090. Chose the Gigabyte Gaming OC because of people online saying its quite. Is their any issues paring it with AMD products?

---Plan is to put the AIO at the top, 2 fans to the front, and one in the back. The 5000D comes with 2 fans already. One in the front and one in the back. Is that a good setup and enough fans? What would be the best configuration with exhaust vs intake. Will all those fans, along with the gpu, cpu, and motherboard fit the case I have picked?

---5000D has a vertical mount for the GPU. Does mounting it vertically matter or have any benefits?

---I was going to get the 4000D at first and when researching it, I seen that I would need a IQ Commander. Will I still need that for the 5000D? I dont think so but im not sure.

---I already have windows 10 on the laptop and had the option to upgrade to 11 since I had my HD replaced in January. I just havent upgraded yet. Will I still need to purchase windows 11 for the pc?

---Any compatibility issues between the CPU, GPU, coolers, memory, PSU, case, and motherboard?

---In the compatibility notes on pcpartpicker, it says this in the notes. What exactly does it mean. "The video card PCIe 16-pin power connector adapter is being supplied by three 6+2-pin power connectors. Please ensure that the three 6+2-pin power connectors are not daisy-chained and do not share the same power cable."

---Going to get the 32in monitor instead of the 27 since its only $50 more.

Last edited:
Shouldn’t be any issues with the the hardware from what I can see.

That case can hold up to 10 fans? I’d use the AIO and some fans for intake at front and then the last fans at the top and back for exhaust.

I wouldn’t say the commander is “necessary”

I think vertically mount will increase temps inside. Never done it myself so can’t give real world opinion. Someone else may have better knowledge in that.

I ain’t using windows 11 myself so I’ll defer on that one for which is better. Buy it off kinguin for the low tho either way.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($318.89)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB V2 62 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($231.09)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.01)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card ($1699.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case ($154.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair RM1000x (2021) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Case Fan: Deepcool FK120 68.99 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 27.0" 2560 x 1440 240 Hz Curved Monitor ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Logitech K270 Wireless Gaming Keyboard ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech M720 Triathlon Bluetooth Optical Mouse ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 10 W Speakers ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $3845.86

---Being doing a little research and said F it, go big or go home. Also didnt factor in that I need a desk, mouse, keyboard, and chair but I think I can go cheap on those items. It will be a little bit cheaper altogether because I found a bundle for $550 with the motherboard, CPU, and memory on reddit. Had a friend pick it up for me in Dallas and its been shipped. https://www.microcenter.com/product...ries-32gb-ddr5-6000-kit,-computer-build-combo

---Decided to go with the 4090. Chose the Gigabyte Gaming OC because of people online saying its quite. Is their any issues paring it with AMD products?

---Plan is to put the AIO at the top, 2 fans to the front, and one in the back. The 5000D comes with 2 fans already. One in the front and one in the back. Is that a good setup and enough fans? What would be the best configuration with exhaust vs intake. Will all those fans, along with the gpu, cpu, and motherboard fit the case I have picked?

---5000D has a vertical mount for the GPU. Does mounting it vertically matter or have any benefits?

---I was going to get the 4000D at first and when researching it, I seen that I would need a IQ Commander. Will I still need that for the 5000D? I dont think so but im not sure.

---I already have windows 10 on the laptop and had the option to upgrade to 11 since I had my HD replaced in January. I just havent upgraded yet. Will I still need to purchase windows 11 for the pc?

---Any compatibility issues between the CPU, GPU, coolers, memory, PSU, case, and motherboard?

---In the compatibility notes on pcpartpicker, it says this in the notes. What exactly does it mean. "The video card PCIe 16-pin power connector adapter is being supplied by three 6+2-pin power connectors. Please ensure that the three 6+2-pin power connectors are not daisy-chained and do not share the same power cable."

---Going to get the 32in monitor instead of the 27 since its only $50 more.
cant beat nvidia and amd.

Advertisement
Back