Venables on why he’s stayed a DC for 9 years

I saw the talk about culture on the board - you think we can ever be a place like this?

The thing is, we never have had that culture at Miami. Suffice it to say, all other major championship programs, past and present, have been places where the most important coaches stay for long periods of time and administer championships that way. Looking at all of our turnover at head coach and coordinator positions over the years, it was almost a mercenary culture during the championship years. Incredible that the school kept winning that way when there was no other program I can think of in college football that ever won like that.

But, of course the game changed over 20 years and we've skipped almost and entire generation of relevancy as of right now. Whatever championship culture we once had that worked is gone now...like a beloved relative. I don't think catching lighting in a bottle is possible, but how do we develop a championship culture like said program in the OP, I don't know.

If you want to get holistic, my only guess is that there would have to be a sudden and impactful change somewhere in the University outside of the football program itself.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All these threads of "fire this guy" and "fire that guy", "hire XYZ as a DC", "the culture sucks", "fire Blake James" etc., are mental *********ion. Until UM has a president that cares about the biggest revenue generating sport on campus, none of the other crap is going to make a difference. It starts at the TOP. Only then, can UM potentially build a championship program. Quit cutting the tail off the snake. It doesn't kill the snake. You have to cut the head off.

Our problem is we want to fire everyone that does not win a conference title or a Natty in 2-3 years. We are so short sighted it is not funny. It takes 5-10 years to build a program, yet we want to fire everyone after a bad loss. Some are warranted (DC), be cautious about this as it only decays the program. Boy, I can sure speak out of both sides of my mouth, eh? DC is the only change I would make right now.
And maybe a cornerback coach but that’s only bc he’s hands down the worst recruiter we’ve seen!!

Advertisement
I'm sure he's still a great DC, but players sure do help make a coach look good. It's a lot easier when you have some of the best 4-5 star players in the country on your team. Helps even more when some of those same guys stay another year instead of bolting to the NFL.
Baker and our defensive scheme sux balls, but we are not getting back to being great until we hire somebody or find a way to keep a lot of these studs home playing for us.
Once that happens and we start winning and being in the mix for acc titles and playoff spots, then more and more will want to come here.
It does not make sense to me why our BOT or AD wouldn't want that, being that successful has to make much more money for the university than just being average.
The only way to come back faster is make a big splash hire and the only one available is Urban. I feel anybody else would take much longer to get us back to top 10 consistently.
Sadly it's not up to us fans and it ****es me off. I just don't know what the people in charge are thinking or smoking.
We've sucked long enough **** it !

Advertisement
All these threads of "fire this guy" and "fire that guy", "hire XYZ as a DC", "the culture sucks", "fire Blake James" etc., are mental *********ion. Until UM has a president that cares about the biggest revenue generating sport on campus, none of the other crap is going to make a difference. It starts at the TOP. Only then, can UM potentially build a championship program. Quit cutting the tail off the snake. It doesn't kill the snake. You have to cut the head off.
Making sense is not allowed on this board...STOP IT!!

No it doesn’t take 5-10 years to build a program. Sit your *** down.
Quitter's mentality. Can't hit reset every 2 years when **** don't go perfect.

Getting a new coach/staff, keeping a recruiting class together during transition, and having to keep players bought in rather than practicing is much more disruptive than letting a coach that has improved and is capable of making decisions to make things better get another year.

I’d imagine his track record of success recruits itself, not to mention there are people (and things) that do that for him at Clemson
Yea interesting to see if he can stack elsewhere or he's just reaping the reward of those bags. Tough to know

Advertisement
Yea interesting to see if he can stack elsewhere or he's just reaping the reward of those bags. Tough to know
Clemson's top 4 LBs average composite grade - 8796.75
Miami's top 4 LB/Striker average composite grade - 8846.25

Clemson has 2 mid-round backup LBs in the NFL who have a combined 200 career tackles, and Isaiah Simmons who was a hybrid player and a little-known 3* recruit.

All those pass rushers Clemson has had drafted in recent years have little NFL production to their name and some are out of the league. Their DBs have struggled in their transition as well.

You tell me what the difference between Miami and Clemson is defensively. I'll give you a hint - it's not bags.

Clemson's top 4 LBs average composite grade - 8796.75
Miami's top 4 LB/Striker average composite grade - 8846.25

Clemson has 2 mid-round backup LBs in the NFL who have a combined 200 career tackles, and Isaiah Simmons who was a hybrid player and a little-known 3* recruit.

All those pass rushers Clemson has had drafted in recent years have little NFL production to their name and some are out of the league. Their DBs have struggled in their transition as well.

You tell me what the difference between Miami and Clemson is defensively. I'll give you a hint - it's not bags.
we need to find out whos the mastermind evaluator they have, its someone of the staff. Its like Butch was for a good while at UM

we need to find out whos the mastermind evaluator they have, its someone of the staff. Its like Butch was for a good while at UM
It's quite simple to me. If you want to play an attacking upfield 4-3 front you need LBs who can diagnose quickly, knife through lanes and run around blocks cause you're gonna get a lot of guards reaching to the 2nd level.

Instead of recruiting someone like, say Ruben Hyppolite, the staff goes after stiff inside thumper types like Jennings and Jaydon Hood, or raw conversion types. And for various reasons they miss on Anthony Solomon, Flowe, T2, etc.

The bottom line is there are effectively 3 LB coaches on the staff:
  • the Head Coach who has no playing experience and whose mentors have retired
  • the DC who started 6 games at Tulane and was mentored by the HC
  • the ST/Striker coach who played at SF Austin and was mentored by the HC&DC
The LB coach prior to this triumvirate was an alum who played 13 NFL seasons and worked his way up to AHC in the NFL. It's obvious where the problem is and how it can improve.

Advertisement
Not everyone wants to wear the crown.

Bret will never get all the credit on the outside but as he said he’s well paid and lives a low key low pressure life.

compared to the high pressure it would be of he took a job like UGA.

It's quite simple to me. If you want to play an attacking upfield 4-3 front you need LBs who can diagnose quickly, knife through lanes and run around blocks cause you're gonna get a lot of guards reaching to the 2nd level.

Instead of recruiting someone like, say Ruben Hyppolite, the staff goes after stiff inside thumper types like Jennings and Jaydon Hood, or raw conversion types. And for various reasons they miss on Anthony Solomon, Flowe, T2, etc.

The bottom line is there are effectively 3 LB coaches on the staff:
  • the Head Coach who has no playing experience and whose mentors have retired
  • the DC who started 6 games at Tulane and was mentored by the HC
  • the ST/Striker coach who played at SF Austin and was mentored by the HC&DC
The LB coach prior to this triumvirate was an alum who played 13 NFL seasons and worked his way up to AHC in the NFL. It's obvious where the problem is and how it can improve.
They r trash at linebacker it's comedy hour....it's depressing when u watch a UNC linebacker looking like a modern linebacker where we have most our backers with trex arms.

Advertisement
Back