Van Dyke, Garcia give impressions on spring QB battle thus far

In the end, IMO Garcia's going to fly by DVD and be a strong contributor to our offense as our #2 behind King.

IF King is unable to go at full speed vs. Bama, in our current Lashlee offense, Garcia has the best experience and skillset to succeed and perform at a high level.

Now if this was our old Pro style offense ...it would be DVD hands down. Unfortunately for DVD it's not
It seems like some times some of us just favor a player based on looks or whatever. We have seen nothing to believe that Garcia will or won't pass TVD yet. I know Garcia being cuban and starting at Miami is cool story but reality he might be a more pro style QB than TVD. I say that because Garcia didn't look any more mobile in his highschool tape.

Advertisement
It seems like some times some of us just favor a player based on looks or whatever. We have seen nothing to believe that Garcia will or won't pass TVD yet. I know Garcia being cuban and starting at Miami is cool story but reality he might be a more pro style QB than TVD. I say that because Garcia didn't look any more mobile in his highschool tape.

I gave my opinion. I later gave my reasons that I posted for developing that opinion. Seems you have comprehension issues.

Also from your warped perspective you try to turn it into a RACIAL THING. Not only that, to the best of my knowledge Garcia's heritage is Mexican not Cuban so not only are you poor at gauging people's motives, you're poor at gauging why they are motivated in such a way. Which makes you poor, weak and purposely divisive

Sorry, that it ****es you off for others to have opinions but notice that this is an opinion board.

And BTW DVD being white ALSO makes for a cool story. In fact, whoever is our QB is makes for a cool story Bro.

IF you ever want to know why someone said or did something go at them directly and ask....instead of hiding behind "It seems "

Last edited:
I gave my opinion. I later gave my reasons that I posted for developing that opinion. Seems you have comprehension issues.

Also from your warped perspective you try to turn it into a RACIAL THING. Not only that, to the best of my knowledge Garcia's heritage is Mexican not Cuban so not only are you poor at gauging people's motives, you're poor at gauging why they are motivated in such a way. Which makes you poor, weak and purposely divisive

Sorry, that it ****es you off for others to have opinions but notice that this is an opinion board.

And BTW DVD being white ALSO makes for a cool story. In fact, whoever is our QB is makes for a cool story Bro.
Ok I'll go there with you. For one cuban is a nationality not a race. Meaning you have people of African, European, and mixed ethnicity. Manny Diaz is a spaniard from cuba, which means he is European or white. The boxer Louis Ortiz is also Cuban but is clearly of African ethnicity. I thought it was said one of Garcia's parents was cuban so please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Compare TVD, Miller Moss, and Jake Garcia's highlights and look at how Moss and TVD regularly throw off base or on the move. For the record I wasn't at all mad it's just we do this with our recruits every year. When Jacurri Brown shows up next year you' ll have people saying he is automatically better than Garcia before he has proven anything.

IF you ever want to know why someone said or did something go at them directly and ask....instead of hiding behind "It seems "
Also based off your response it seems as if you feel like I attacked you. I apologize if you felt like that because that was not my intentions. It just seemed like your statement came out of no where. I'm know that Jake Garica being a QB from southern California who also played big time ball in Georgia should automatically make him better than a guy from Connecticut but it doesn't always work like that. For the record I'm black and I think Miami having a Cuban or Haitian player always makes for a cool story.

Also based off your response it seems as if you feel like I attacked you. I apologize if you felt like that because that was not my intentions. It just seemed like your statement came out of no where. I'm know that Jake Garica being a QB from southern California who also played big time ball in Georgia should automatically make him better than a guy from Connecticut but it doesn't always work like that. For the record I'm black and I think Miami having a Cuban or Haitian player always makes for a cool story.

That Cuban "lesson" was about as needed to me as a birds and bees talk after I watched my first child being born.

I admit, the way you came at me at first kinda ****ed me off.... but I'm OK now.....and I think we can communicate normally.

First of all, IMO arguing over QB tapes to me is a fruitless exercise. The defensive skill level and competition is different, as is the skills of the other offensive players supporting each QB.

Again, my opinion is based on how familiar and effective I feel each QB is in operating a Lashlee type offense. Garcia has the advantage there IMO and that's a very important advantage to have in any competition. 1 year as a sub versus 2+ in HS years as a starter

OF course, neither of us knows how this competition will turn out. That's without a doubt. And yes, I've been fortunate enough to have seen Garcia play in person. So I'm sure that colors my judgement. BUT from what I've actually seen of DVD and his film (because that's all I can base any judgement on,) I feel that Garcia's going to quickly be our #2 or starter whenever King can't play.

I predict that he'll consistently be more effective and move the offense better than his competition during the Spring.

I do get your point about having favorites but seriously I have no ties with Garcia and if I thought TVD was better I'd say so. IF he proves to be better I'm just as happy. SO SotaC to me it's not worth arguing about because we'll both just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Be careful crowning guys at QB this early.

Having said that, my money is on Garcia surpassing DVD at some point down the line.

If you can't help yourself crowning someone, then forgive the rest of us, lol.

Personally, I don't have a favorite. I do believe that if King is healthy, he will get 90% or more of the snaps.

After that, I have seen enough true freshmen at QB to know they are far more risky than a redshirted freshman. Yes, I know people can find the exceptions. Usually those exceptions are elite dual-threat athletes or generational types like Lawrence. And then there's James Blackman...

So the odds are that TVD is going to be the #2. And I highly doubt the #3 gets more than garbage time barring injury or King not ready to go.

IMO, Matocha is a career backup at the U. Awesome if he's okay with that. I would not be surprised if he transfers, though.

That said may the best man win the backup spot.

I like Garcia too as #2 and if king isn't ready or cleared.. gotta roll with dvd..but I'm liking Garcia the most his upside football IQ dare I say thoughts??? Which one is prepared the most for game 1 and peyton I don't know what the deal is I haven't seen any of his film..

That Cuban "lesson" was about as needed to me as a birds and bees talk after I watched my first child being born.

I admit, the way you came at me at first kinda ****ed me off.... but I'm OK now.....and I think we can communicate normally.

First of all, IMO arguing over QB tapes to me is a fruitless exercise. The defensive skill level and competition is different, as is the skills of the other offensive players supporting each QB.

Again, my opinion is based on how familiar and effective I feel each QB is in operating a Lashlee type offense. Garcia has the advantage there IMO and that's a very important advantage to have in any competition. 1 year as a sub versus 2+ in HS years as a starter

OF course, neither of us knows how this competition will turn out. That's without a doubt. And yes, I've been fortunate enough to have seen Garcia play in person. So I'm sure that colors my judgement. BUT from what I've actually seen of DVD and his film (because that's all I can base any judgement on,) I feel that Garcia's going to quickly be our #2 or starter whenever King can't play.

I predict that he'll consistently be more effective and move the offense better than his competition during the Spring.

I do get your point about having favorites but seriously I have no ties with Garcia and if I thought DVD was better I'd say so. IF he proves to be better I'm just as happy. SO SotaC to me it's not worth arguing about because we'll both just have to wait and see.
That's a fair take. If I would have known that you saw Garcia in person that would have probably helped me understand your initial take as to me it was very definitive. Who would your pro comp be for Garcia?

Advertisement
If you can't help yourself crowning someone, then forgive the rest of us, lol.

Personally, I don't have a favorite. I do believe that if King is healthy, he will get 90% or more of the snaps.

After that, I have seen enough true freshmen at QB to know they are far more risky than a redshirted freshman. Yes, I know people can find the exceptions. Usually those exceptions are elite dual-threat athletes or generational types like Lawrence. And then there's James Blackman...

So the odds are that TVD is going to be the #2. And I highly doubt the #3 gets more than garbage time barring injury or King not ready to go.

IMO, Matocha is a career backup at the U. Awesome if he's okay with that. I would not be surprised if he transfers, though.

That said may the best man win the backup spot.

I'm not crowning anyone. I just like Garcia's game better and it is my belief he'll surpass TVD at some point in their respective careers.

I also don't have a favorite. I don't know either of them personally and I hope they both succeed in everything do.

We should hope that neither has to log serious minutes and King makes a triumphant return.

That's a fair take. If I would have known that you saw Garcia in person that would have probably helped me understand your initial take as to me it was very definitive. Who would your pro comp be for Garcia?

That's a real tough one SotaC. It's hard to say. Because whenever you do, people tend to expect the same success and attributes.

I'll have to sleep on that one and get back to you.

True but that only works when the receivers can get get open and get separation...and catch of course. According to the player interviews thus far TVD's greentree accuracy is ....dare I say....greentree all american-ish.
Miami's two most critical measurables against Bama to prevent an October Clemson-esque colon cleansing: 1) OL play against Bama DL; 2) # of first downs (e.g. sustained drives) Miami's O can generate for 4Qs.

Advertisement
This. Jack Allison says hi.

The spin on that kid was unreal. Pedestrian stats and every excuse in the book by some to try and convince themselves he was a catch. A lot of posters do that here year in and year out. I still remember breaking down his first 10 plays of his highlight reel and how 7 of them were bad to flat out ill advised throws.

This one👇
lQkdoDpjF0Fe8.gif

2016-03-16-1458147938-6764017-LeaSophyHolland-thumb.jpg

or this one👆

Advertisement
Miami's two most critical measurables against Bama to prevent an October Clemson-esque colon cleansing: 1) OL play against Bama DL; 2) # of first downs (e.g. sustained drives) Miami's O can generate for 4Qs.
Include Bama OL vs. our DL. Doubt we’ll have another UNC debacle with Simpson but if bama consistently gets 5-6 yards a carry it will be a long night.

Why we gotta flip that out there?

Me? I don't care what kind of Mexican someone is. Cuban Mexican, Puerto Rican Mexican, Colombian Mexican, Texas Mexican, Honduras Mexican, Costa Rica Mexicans or even Mexico Mexicans.

I'm just thrilled we have some Quarterbacks in the room! It's been one, long, dry spell for us on QB's . . .

Advertisement
Back