Van Dyke, Garcia give impressions on spring QB battle thus far

View as article
Advertisement
Since no one else is gonna say it, why are we calling him DVD? What did I miss?

Advertisement
The scenario I see as most likely is that TVD wins the backup role and Garcia redshirts.
If King isn’t ready I’m hoping Garcia wins the job. I don’t think any stage will be too big for him. He’s the type of guy to shine in the moment. That being said, at least wait until the spring game before making such judgements. The truth is nobody knows squat...yet.

I’d just like to see a quarterback drafted before round 5. I feel like we all thought brad would do it and then he left early. I think he could have maybe. But if Tyler or Jake can do it I think we’d gain some clout at the position. Great for exposure and recruiting in general to have a signal caller drafted early

If King isn’t ready I’m hoping Garcia wins the job. I don’t think any stage will be too big for him. He’s the type of guy to shine in the moment. That being said, at least wait until the spring game before making such judgements. The truth is nobody knows squat...yet.

I agree that nobody here knows squat yet, but my post already factored that in. Here's the thinking...

Lets say both TVD and Garcia grade out equally after spring and summer practices. Who would you personally put as QB2?

The way I see it, if both of these guys are that close in their development, the smart move from a program management standpoint is to try to get as much separation in their eligibility as possible. If you redshirt Garcia, going into 2022 TVD will be a sophomore and Garcia will be a freshman. If you list Garcia as QB2, going into 2022 both will be sophomores.

Advertisement
I agree that nobody here knows squat yet, but my post already factored that in. Here's the thinking...

Lets say both TVD and Garcia grade out equally after spring and summer practices. Who would you personally put as QB2?

The way I see it, if both of these guys are that close in their development, the smart move from a program management standpoint is to try to get as much separation in their eligibility as possible. If you redshirt Garcia, going into 2022 TVD will be a sophomore and Garcia will be a freshman. If you list Garcia as QB2, going into 2022 both will be sophomores.
Chances are the loser transfers if we’re being real. I would prefer to have a 3 year starter if he’s that good.

Chances are the loser transfers if we’re being real. I would prefer to have a 3 year starter if he’s that good.

I've certainly given that a lot of weight in my thought process as well. In this new post modern world of free agency in CFB, that's the obvious take.

To that end, in a vacuum I have to guess that TVD is more likely to transfer if Garcia is named QB2 this year than Garcia is to transfer if TVD is named QB2 and Garcia redshirts. The hope would be that Garcia could still have 1-2 years as a starter depending on how TVD performs as a starter in 2022-23.

I've certainly given that a lot of weight in my thought process as well. In this new post modern world of free agency in CFB, that's the obvious take.

To that end, in a vacuum I have to guess that TVD is more likely to transfer if Garcia is named QB2 this year than Garcia is to transfer if TVD is named QB2 and Garcia redshirts. The hope would be that Garcia could still have 1-2 years as a starter depending on how TVD performs as a starter in 2022-23.
You could say the same for Brown next season if Garcia wins the job. Then if Brown wins whomever comes in 23.
Let’s pick this back up after the spring game.

Why we gotta flip that out there?

Me? I don't care what kind of Mexican someone is. Cuban Mexican, Puerto Rican Mexican, Colombian Mexican, Texas Mexican, Honduras Mexican, Costa Rica Mexicans or even Mexico Mexicans.

I'm just thrilled we have some Quarterbacks in the room! It's been one, long, dry spell for us on QB's . . .

I see what you did there....

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back