Van Dyke, Garcia give impressions on spring QB battle thus far

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With D’Eriq King rehabbing this spring, Miami Hurricanes QB Tyler Van Dyke is getting an opportunity to show his stuff with the first team offense, and he spoke Tuesday about what his experience has been like thus far.

“I feel like I have a good grasp of the plays, who to read, when they’re blitzing how to flip the protection,” Van Dyke said. “But I’m still learning, still making a few mistakes I have to get back and watch film on… You have to limit those mistakes.”

In UM’s first spring scrimmage two weekends ago, Van Dyke went 10-15 (66.7%) passing for 114 yards and a TD. In terms of where OC Rhett Lashlee has helped him the most, Van Dyke first pointed to his improvement on RPO’s.

“I’d say the RPO game for me, (Lashlee) stressed on me that it’s going to be great for me, when to hand the ball off, when to throw it,” Van Dyke said. “We’ve done a lot of pocket passing stuff where they just really stressed trying to make quick reads and stay in the pocket and make the throw unless you need to escape. They really stressed that.”

Van Dyke started the spring garnering most of the first team reps, but true freshman Jake Garcia is fully healthy now and working in with the ones as well with Peyton Matocha also in the mix.

"It's been very competitive, it's good because we're all pushing each other to be better," Van Dyke said. "To be that guy, I feel it just comes with leadership and doing what you have to do, making the right plays, the right reads."

In Lashlee’s second year at UM, Van Dyke says he has seen the entire offense make a jump in terms of comfortability and familiarity with the system.

“We know more stuff, this is year 2 in the system, we’re clicking better, having better connections with receivers, going at a faster pace than last year,” Van Dyke said. “We have a bright future ahead.”

While King may be off the field this spring, Van Dyke says Miami’s regular starting QB has still made his presence felt in other ways.

“He’s been very helpful,” Van Dyke said of King. “He’s always watching film with us, getting us better, asking us questions to challenge us.”

None of Miami’s other QB’s bring the same dimension to the game in terms of running the ball compared to King, but Van Dyke doesn’t feel like he is a slouch in that area either.

“I’m a 7, maybe a 6 (of 10 as a runner),” Van Dyke said. “I can run the ball. I’m not just going to run around in the back and throw the ball. If the opportunity comes, I’m going to take it, try to score every time.”

His goal for UM’s second scrimmage this weekend?

“I feel like the goal for me is to be better than I did last time, just improve making a throw I didn’t make last time,” Van Dyke said. “My main goal is just to go out and have fun. That’s the biggest thing. If you’re not having fun, playing scared, you’re not going to do well. I feel I need to be more of a verbal leader, feel like I’m working on it and that’s probably one thing that’s my main goal too.”

**While he began spring limited with a foot injury, Canes freshman QB Jake Garcia was cleared to participate in full just a day before UM’s first scrimmage of the spring.

His performance in the scrimmage ultimately impressed head coach Manny Diaz and others, as Garcia finished 15 for 19 (78.9%) passing, netting 188 yards and a TD.

“The biggest part is letting receivers do their work, I trust my receivers… Things are going really well,” Garcia said. “I’ve grasped the offense pretty quickly, feel good with it. I did well in the scrimmage, it was good to put some stuff on film and review, learn from it.”

Garcia is competing with Van Dyke and Matocha this spring to position himself as King’s backup and potential heir as the starting QB at Miami, and he has enjoyed the battle thus far.

“It’s a competitive quarterback room, we push each other, continue to root for each other at the same time… It’s a really good room, everyone comes in ready to work every single day,” Garcia said. “We really push each other from the standpoint of getting mental reps. I feel comfortable asking questions and they won’t give me a wrong answer. We all help each other… Coach Lashlee does a pretty good job of rotating us, there’s not a big drop off between our ones, twos, and threes.”

In terms of what Lashlee wants him to work on the most, Garcia pointed to needing to properly recognize his progressions better.

“Kicking the ball to open space, knowing your options - that comes with time,” Garcia said. “I’ve gotten a good grasp of the offense so far. Being able to practice full speed is huge… Just picking up different coverages, get tells pre-snap.”

Of his running ability compared to King, Garcia admitted that he is nowhere near the former Houston QB in that area of the game, but that he isn’t afraid to tuck it and run either.

“I’m going to do everything I can to win, whether that’s running 10 yards for a first down or getting out of the pocket and throwing it,” Garcia said.

It was a long journey for Garcia to finally end up at UM, and he mentioned both his first early morning lift and the first day in helmets during spring ball as “Wow” moments.

“When I got out there it was crazy, ‘Now you’re here’,” Garcia said. “It’s crazy, something I don’t take for granted and I want to make the best of my opportunity.”

Advertisement
I listened to Manny Navarro's Wide Right podcast this morning. He had a couple of guests, including Kelvin Harris. The word from those who have been at practice is TVD and Garcia are both the real deal - pro type guys . Harris went so far as to say if King isn't ready for Bama he doesn't think either one of them would have a problem stepping in and being "the guy".
There was genuine excitement about the QB room right now.

Advertisement
I'm still hoping TVD wins out this year. Big, strong arm and agile. Accuracy idk? IMO King is short, a limited passer and runner (ACL). We need a big arm that can make all the throws and push the ball downfield accurately.
True but that only works when the receivers can get get open and get separation...and catch of course. According to the player interviews thus far TVD's greentree accuracy is ....dare I say....greentree all american-ish.

Advertisement
In the end, IMO Garcia's going to fly by TVD and be a strong contributor to our offense as our #2 behind King.

IF King is unable to go at full speed vs. Bama, in our current Lashlee offense, Garcia has the best experience and skillset to succeed and perform at a high level.

Now if this was our old Pro style offense ...it would be TVD hands down. Unfortunately for TVD it's not

Last edited:
d, IMO Garcia's going to fly by DVD and be a strong contributor to our offense as our #2 behind King.

IF King is unable to go at full speed vs. Bama, in our current Lashlee offense, Garcia has the best experience and skillset to succeed and perform at a high level.

Now if this was our old Pro style offense ...it would be DVD hands down. Unfortunately for DVD it's not

Just curious why you think our offense is more tailored to Garcia than the more athletic qb DVD?

Just curious why you think our offense is more tailored to Garcia than the more athletic qb DVD?

That's just it. I don't think that TVD is more athletic than Garcia.....only bigger.

Garcia quicker, makes decisions faster and is more experienced and comfortable in this type of offense. Ran a similar offense in HS

Last edited:
Advertisement
We haven't had a QB room like this since the glory years. Kaaya had the talent but had no competition and was never pushed, Morris was athletic with a rocket arm but not cerebral, Harris was too immature, Wright and Freeman were head cases. All 4 of these kids are professionals.

just a feeling, but have heard others make the same observation...you look at both of their recent interviews and come away with Garcia exuding confidence. TVD seems a bit pensive and uptight. Nothing to do with athletic ability...but it's important what is going on between the ears. Ultimately that may be what separates the winner and loser.

Advertisement
Be careful crowning guys at QB this early.

Having said that, my money is on Garcia surpassing DVD at some point down the line.

I listened to Manny Navarro's Wide Right podcast this morning. He had a couple of guests, including Kelvin Harris. The word from those who have been at practice is TVD and Garcia are both the real deal - pro type guys . Harris went so far as to say if King isn't ready for Bama he doesn't think either one of them would have a problem stepping in and being "the guy".
There was genuine excitement about the QB room right now.
Isn’t that guy a major sunshine pumper ?

Advertisement
Back