Valentine Speaks, and Booker T Updates

WhatTheHell

"WE CANT DEMAND PERFECTION.”
Banned
Valentine acknowledges his heart is with LSU and says UM "must show me something" on official visit

U.S. Army All-American defensive tackle Travonte Valentine got an early morning visit at Hialeah Champagnat from Hurricanes coach Al Golden and a couple of assistants on Tuesday.

Golden was there for two reasons: he wanted to make sure the 6-5, 325-pound Valentine was going to give the Canes an official visit this coming weekend and a shot to earn his signature on National Signing Day.

Mission accomplished.

Valentine, tabbed the 65th best 2014 prospect (regardless of position) according to 247Sports' composite rankings, said he assured Golden that he and his mother would visit Coral Gables officially this coming weekend. And he also said UM still has a shot to win him over, even though it's pretty clear LSU has his heart "as of right now."

"I don't know [what Miami has to do to change my heart]," said Valentine, who was wearing an LSU backback during a half hour interview at school with The Miami Herald Tuesday. "They just have to show me something."

That something is kind of difficult to put a finger on right now. Valentine, who de-committed from Miami late last month when the Golden to Penn State rumors were running rampant, knows he can come in and play early at Miami given the current state of the defensive line.

He also knows what Coral Gables is all about. Valentine said he's been down to UM so many times already he can't remember exactly how many unofficial visits he's made. So why does he feel the need to go there again this coming weekend?

"Just to have a good time with the players and the commits," he said.

Apparently Valentine hasn't done enough of that already. Valentine said while he's bonded with the coaches at UM, he hasn't felt the same "bonding experience" with Canes players and recruits. He said the reason his trip to LSU was special was because he did feel that bonding experience with a few former South Floridians who now call Baton Rouge home.

Valentine called that "a really big" factor.

"Team bonding," Valentine said when asked what he's ultimately looking for before making a final decision. "I want to bond with the team. I want everything to be good, a family situation when I get there.

"Like what I had this past weekend with [LSU freshman cornerback] Rashard Robinson [a Pompano Ely grad], [LSU freshman defensive tackle] Quan Bain [a University School grad] and [Hallandale senior safety and LSU 2014 commitment] John Battle. I have chemistry with them boys."

Valentine said he's already discussed rooming with Battle at LSU.

"Even though I can’t say I have that at Miami, I can have that [chemistry eventually] with guys like Chad Thomas, Anthony Moten, Mike Smith and Braxton Berrios," Valentine said. "We just have to build it."

When it comes to relationships, Valentine said he's been building a strong one with LSU assistant Corey Raymond since November. How is his chemistry with Canes assistant coach Hurley Brown? "It's pretty good," Valentine said. "Coach Hurley has known my stepdad since high school."

Valentine said Golden's recruiting pitch Tuesday was pretty clear cut. He brought up the history Miami has had with defensive linemen, and that he wants to have the opportunity to coach another great one. Valentine said Golden ended his pitch by saying: 'Let me coach you.'

How did those words make Valentine feel?

"Those were pretty big, decent words," Valentine said. "I felt like that’s something I have to think about."

Valentine promises he will and will do so before making his announcement on Signing Day. Champagnat coach Mike Tunsil said the school is planning to have its ceremonies around 10:30 a.m.

"I can never fault Miami for the way they've recruited Travonte," Tunsil said. "They did a great job recruiting him. I could never complain about that. They’ve been on him hard. They had the defensive coordinator, the d-line coach, the head coach over here. Overall, I think they could recruit our school better. But as far as Travonte, they’ve done great."

NEWS AND NOTES

> For those of you sweating over Chad Thomas' recruiting visits to Florida State last weekend and his upcoming visit to Alabama -- go ahead and stop.

The five-star All-American defensive end made it pretty clear Tuesday he isn't planning on breaking Canes hearts on Signing Day.

"There’s no suspense," Thomas said. "I’ve been throwing up The U since the first game of the season. I’m not really trying to build any suspense, get anybody wound up, rowdy. Miami coaches knew I was going to take trips. They've just told me to have fun –- not just too much fun."

Thomas, an aspiring musician when he isn't killing quarterbacks on the football field, has been looking at UM's Frost Music School since well before the Hurricanes ever offered him a football scholarship. As a student at New World School of the Arts in Miami, he's been playing the piano, tuba and a number of other instruments for years and dreaming of attending Miami's music school.

While he said seeing FSU's music school -- and having a long talk with former Seminole Myron Rolle -- were nice experiences last weekend, Miami is still his school.

"It's two different music programs," Thomas said. "They look more into the production side at FSU. Miami has a great production side too. But I think the production side and band side at Miami are both great."

Has Alabama talked to Thomas about music? "No. Just football," he said with a grin.

Is he 100 percent Hurricane? "Yes sir," Thomas said. "Alabama knows that. They're just doing their job recruiting me."

> Booker T. offensive coordinator Tim Harris Jr. said he believes Thomas and defensive end Demetrius Jackson will both sign with UM next Wednesday.

Jackson, a three-star recruit according to 247Sports, visited Arkansas last weekend after telling a few recruiting websites he wasn't taking any more trips and was solid to UM.

"Arkansas was the first school that offered him," Harris Jr. said. "It’s a big school, SEC school. It’s only right to go on an official visit like that. I’ve seen people have bashed him on his Twitter for it. People don’t understand he just wants to take a visit. Kids work themselves to get this point. Us as coaches we help them along the way, but those kids, this is their moment. At the end of the day I think he’s going to stick with Miami as well."

Posted by Manny Navarro at 07:18 PM in University of Miami Football Recruiting | Permalink

Comments

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...omething-on-official-visit.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
What a crock of ****, dude was talking about how much he liked hanging with Moten a few weeks ago but now he doesn't have "chemistry" with anyone in Miami's class and has to build it. Meanwhile, 2 days at LSU and and he had an epiphany.

tunsil is acting bitter. smh. do what is best for kid. this is alex collins 2.0.

Advertisement
Now his official visit has become an free visit. Golden has done everything he can get this diva back. I would cancel his visit and move on if I was Al.

tunsil is acting bitter. smh. do what is best for kid. this is alex collins 2.0.

no i think it's the exact opposite.

we thought AC would be here.

now we DON'T think TV would be here.

maybe we're wrong. again.

I don't know how Golden was able to even get to the kid.

I was told by someone on this board that he was on lock down and nobody could get in touch with him.

weird.

in all seriousness... great job by Golden to get on that. Doesn't mean he won't flake, certainly doesn't mean he signs a UM LOI, but I appreciate the effort. We wouldn't have gotten that type of due diligence and effort out of the previous two regimes.

Gimme JC Jackson and 1 of the DTs and I'll be ok with the close.

/still think we go 0-3 though

TV trolling everyone. He is all Cane. You don't think it was a bit contrived to have an LSU bag at Miami interview.

Advertisement
No **** he's gonna bond with the 3 other south Florida kids at LSU over a weekend.. There's 4 of them and they all have that in common so it opens the door for communication between the 4 of them right off the bat to bond.

C'mon TV rather than joining a crew of 4 at LSU come join the family at Miami man...

Tunsil and Genron delivering this kid to LSU is ******* bull****. This **** has been in the works for months, since at least the summer when those two went to LSU to camp in July. I guarantee you they are the reason Rashard Robinson talks to Valentine. And now LSU is buying the entire program as they just announced they are playing University Lab which is ON LSU campus during their season this year. Any coincidence that was announced the week of Valentine official visit... hmmm... Let me guess so while Valentine was on his visit they all got to tell him how great it will be for him to go and watch his old high school play on LSU campus... GTFOH

It sickens me to read TV's comments. Feel comfortable because there are a couple of guys from S. Florida on LSU's roster. Really? Has he checked out all the local players from S. Florida on UM's roster. Also, to say "decent" that Coach Golden wants to coach you is completely disrespectful.

Seems like a bunch of excuses by him..

Advertisement
Now his official visit has become an free visit. Golden has done everything he can get this diva back. I would cancel his visit and move on if I was Al.

I thought I was the only one that got free trip from the article on TV. I don't know what Miami can do to impress this kid, they have already laid out the red carpet for him.

Some of you need to untangle your panties.

He's coming for his OV and we know Al can spin BS with the best of them.

Advertisement
Now can we call stop blaming the scheme. Not saying he doesn't sign here but even his comments were all about chemistry with players etc. nobody can tell me how if he wants to feel comfortable how miami isn't the place for him.

Advertisement
Back