Valentine is gone

Advertisement
Still have a chance, assuming his courses pan out.

U.S. Army All-American defensive tackle Travonte Valentine dropped his commitment to the University of Miami last week when talk of coach Al Golden possibly heading to Penn State began to reach a fever pitch.

Tuesday, his high school coach Mike Tunsil said Valentine could end up rejoining Miami's class now that Golden has announced he's staying put. But the 6-3, 338-pound standout and his coach at Hialeah Champagnat want to have a sit down conversation with Golden to "make sure everyone is on the same page."

"Travonte just wants security," said Tunsil, who said he's handling all interviews for Valentine until he makes his final announcement on National Signing Day. "He's been saying UM for a long time. He loves UM. But for Coach Golden to go interview for another job was unsettling.

"A lot of things can change when a coach leaves. Now that Golden is back he wants to find out why Golden [interviewed] and if he really is planning to be there for the long haul."

Tunsil said Valentine has communicated with Golden since he de-committed on Saturday after the U.S. Army All-American Game. But Tunsil said he hasn't spoken to Golden and will reach out to him this week if he doesn't hear from him soon.

"Travonte loves UM, the small class rooms like here at Champagnat," Tunsil said. "His mom is close to him here. It's all about sitting down with Golden and getting on the same page. He has a great relationship with their coaches, coach Hurlie Brown. He's not asking for any starting job to be promised or anything like that. He knows nothing is given. It has to be earned."

Valentine, ranked the eighth-best defensive tackle in the country by 247Sports, named LSU his leader after the U.S. Army Game. Tunsil said Valentine plans on visiting UM and LSU before he makes his final decision on Signing Day. He said Valentine could also end up visiting Alabama or Kentucky before then.

"He just doesn't want to go somewhere and then there is a coaching change," Tunsil said. "People have been badmouthing him on Facebook and Twitter since he de-committed. It really isn't fair to the kid. He just wants to see what's going on."

Tunsil said any rumors about Valentine having academic issues and not being able to qualify at UM aren't true.

"He's got the grades and the test score. It's always been a core class issue and he's been taking care of that with online classes and here," Tunsil said. "Travonte could qualify at any school in America except the Ivy Leagues probably."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...lentine-coach-want-sit-down-with-golden-.html

Tunsil said any rumors about Valentine having academic issues and not being able to qualify at UM aren't true.

"He's got the grades and the test score. It's always been a core class issue and he's been taking care of that with online classes and here," Tunsil said. "Travonte could qualify at any school in America except the Ivy Leagues probably."

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...want-sit-down-with-golden-.html#storylink=cpy

GREAT NEWS!!

thank you baby jesus, now please bring him back Goldie

Everyone chill with the hatred for Valentine, it's clear the kid wants to come to the U, let the process play out.

Kid just wants security. Nothing wrong with that. He might've jumped the gun a little early but I don't blame him. Lol at people who thought losing Golden wouldn't mean losing recruits.

Advertisement
Everyone chill with the hatred for Valentine, it's clear the kid wants to come to the U, let the process play out.

there's been zero hatred for him on this site. EVERYONE here loves and wants this kid here badly! Some dumb ***** on Facebook commenting on a UM post caused this

U.S. Army All-American defensive tackle Travonte Valentine dropped his commitment to the University of Miami last week when talk of coach Al Golden possibly heading to Penn State began to reach a fever pitch.

Tuesday, his high school coach Mike Tunsil said Valentine could end up rejoining Miami's class now that Golden has announced he's staying put. But the 6-3, 338-pound standout and his coach at Hialeah Champagnat want to have a sit down conversation with Golden to "make sure everyone is on the same page."

"Travonte just wants security," said Tunsil, who said he's handling all interviews for Valentine until he makes his final announcement on National Signing Day. "He's been saying UM for a long time. He loves UM. But for Coach Golden to go interview for another job was unsettling.

"A lot of things can change when a coach leaves. Now that Golden is back he wants to find out why Golden [interviewed] and if he really is planning to be there for the long haul."

Tunsil said Valentine has communicated with Golden since he de-committed on Saturday after the U.S. Army All-American Game. But Tunsil said he hasn't spoken to Golden and will reach out to him this week if he doesn't hear from him soon.

"Travonte loves UM, the small class rooms like here at Champagnat," Tunsil said. "His mom is close to him here. It's all about sitting down with Golden and getting on the same page. He has a great relationship with their coaches, coach Hurlie Brown. He's not asking for any starting job to be promised or anything like that. He knows nothing is given. It has to be earned."

Valentine, ranked the eighth-best defensive tackle in the country by 247Sports, named LSU his leader after the U.S. Army Game. Tunsil said Valentine plans on visiting UM and LSU before he makes his final decision on Signing Day. He said Valentine could also end up visiting Alabama or Kentucky before then.

"He just doesn't want to go somewhere and then there is a coaching change," Tunsil said. "People have been badmouthing him on Facebook and Twitter since he de-committed. It really isn't fair to the kid. He just wants to see what's going on."

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...lentine-coach-want-sit-down-with-golden-.html

I think we have a **** good chance after reading this. Golden is the ultimate salesman, so having a sit down with Valentine & his coach should be like a walk in the park for Golden. He doesn't want to answer the media's questions about him leaving, but he can spin something to get back in Valentines good graces.

Last edited:
Everyone on this board knows he is the most important recruit on our board. If he needs to feel UM love just direct him to this thread.

Golden should be able to clear the air about PSU. If he isn't leaving here for them then he isn't going anywhere.

there's been zero hatred for him on this site. EVERYONE here loves and wants this kid here badly! Some dumb ****s on Facebook commenting on a UM post caused this

It shouldn't be hard for Golden to distance the program from stupid fan comment when he meets with him.

Advertisement
I am done with believing Golden is the man in bringing us back to prominence as I dont believe in his abilities in actual coaching and I think he is full of sh*t, however , he does excel in these situations which are predicated on bullsh*t. He may just reel Valentine back in who may be the important recruit in this class (he , chad and Kaaya are 1 a,b and c for me)

Any grown man that that goes on facebook or twitter stalking recruits and leaving nasty messages deserves a punch and kick in the nuts. Thats gotta be one of the lowest things a person can do.

I respect his decision. He needs to go where he feels safe. I certainly hope that place is the U.

Advertisement

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/umia...want-sit-down-with-golden-.html#storylink=cpy

GREAT NEWS!!

i think we could pin this to the top of the board so people get out of the "he couldnt qualify anyway" crap

I think we have a **** good chance after reading this. Golden is the ultimate salesman, so having a sit down with Valentine & his coach should be like a walk in the park for Golden. He doesn't want to answer the media's questions about him leaving, but he can spin something to get back in Valentines good graces.

Everyone on this board knows he is the most important recruit on our board. If he needs to feel UM love just direct him to this thread.

Golden should be able to clear the air about PSU. If he isn't leaving here for them then he isn't going anywhere.

I am done with believing Golden is the man in bringing us back to prominence as I dont believe in his abilities in actual coaching and I think he is full of sh*t, however , he does excel in these situations which are predicated on bullsh*t. He may just reel Valentine back in who may be the important recruit in this class (he , chad and Kaaya are 1 a,b and c for me)

Point him to the thread that says Valentine we need you and love you, so please believe our coach who is a bull****ter and salesman?

I see

GREAT NEWS!!

i think we could pin this to the top of the board so people get out of the "he couldnt qualify anyway" crap

I wish you could pin all the arguments I had about how everybody needs to wait till his ov and then NSD to see whats up with him. THis **** is no surprise for me

Advertisement
I wish he knew how important he is to this class, can't say that enough. So many important kids in the class this year, just can' afford to lose one if we want to compete for a NC in the future. Linemen are so important to move to the next level, without great ones there will be no competing. We haven't had great D tackles in years, time for that to change, Golden needs to call this kid right away. I think this is a killer class, don't care about the ratings, the coaches have to work over time to keep it together.

Man... I really hope his HS coach knows what's up with this kid. I would love for all that to be true.

Random Walk (who after doing this thing for over a decade) is the best guy out there for info IMHO... has said 2 very unfavorable things:

1. He's gunna have a hard time getting into UM because of those core classes (we've all seen that happen before)

2. That Valentine is considering the Dwayne Bowe, Patrick Peterson scholarship plan

Sounds to me like Valentine really wants Al to assure him that he can get into school on time. I'm not sure Al can assure him of that.

I'm also not sure we can match LSU's other offer.

We need this kid.

For me our class's biggest priorities are:

1. Kaaya
2. Valentine
3. Thomas

i will never understand what good comes out of bashing a recruit.

Even if that recruit de-commits from miami to another school. what good is done? how does that help our staff try to get him to switch back?

makes zero sense to me.

Advertisement
Back