Va tech and their misdirection in offense

Baker will 100% not be ready....this would look exactly like last year cept we have King and Lash now.
50/50 game.

Advertisement
It's been confirmed he is out or you are you basing on the reported severity of it?
He reaggravated his hamstring injury on the opening kickoff & was out for the rest of the game.

The best way to recover from multiple hamstring strains is to stay off it, which means he won't be practicing much if any at all, unless his hamstring heals up by Thursday I don't see how they could play him if they don't want him to re-tear it again vs Miami & further injure him.

Maybe he miraculously heals up this week, but I doubt he'll play.

Wow....y'all went this whole thread without mentioning that Khalil Herbert has been their entire offense to this point and he's probably not gonna play, or if he does, he can't be 100%? He pulled his hamstring pretty significantly on Saturday. He played the opening kickoff and then didn't return, and Fuente said this afternoon that he's not sure if he'll be able to go.

Coming into the game, Herbert was #1 in the entire country in YPC. He was averaging 8.6 a clip, and averaging 131 yards a game from scrimmage. He's also their main kick returner. That kid has been nothing short of spectacular this year. I'm sure they'll still have success on offense, but him being out would be a HUGE break for us.

Not sure how we play any better against them with a lot worse LB play this year. Not adding up for me.

He reaggravated his hamstring injury on the opening kickoff & was out for the rest of the game.

The best way to recover from multiple hamstring strains is to stay off it, which means he won't be practicing much if any at all, unless his hamstring heals up by Thursday I don't see how they could play him if they don't want him to re-tear it again vs Miami & further injure him.

Maybe he miraculously heals up this week, but I doubt he'll play.

My bad. Could have sworn I posted what I just did above like a half hour ago lol. Weird. But crazy we went 2 pages without mentioning this. He was like 32% of their offense before last week.

Advertisement
Baker is not diaz.... respectfully
ok but manny still wears a headset during the games and is there on the sideline. lol. he doesn't get locked in solitary confinement when the defense is on the field. and people in this thread are talking about preparation, game planning etc... that's all the duty of the head coach. blake baker is not the autonomous leader of the defense. manny deserves a share of the responsibility/blame regardless of what happens. people want it to be very simple -- it's blake baker's fault when the defense looks bad and then when the defense has 2 good drives it's because manny suddenly took control of the playcalling in secret. it's just not that simple.

also ppl who think this defense is anywhere near as bad as d'onofrio need a reality check. your memories should not be that short. the defense is playing softer this year no doubt but the d'onofrio defenses are a completely different story. btw there's no statistical basis for that argument, like at all.

Advertisement
ok but manny still wears a headset during the games and is there on the sideline. lol. he doesn't get locked in solitary confinement when the defense is on the field. and people in this thread are talking about preparation, game planning etc... that's all the duty of the head coach. blake baker is not the autonomous leader of the defense. manny deserves a share of the responsibility/blame regardless of what happens. people want it to be very simple -- it's blake baker's fault when the defense looks bad and then when the defense has 2 good drives it's because manny suddenly took control of the playcalling in secret. it's just not that simple.

also ppl who think this defense is anywhere near as bad as d'onofrio need a reality check. your memories should not be that short. the defense is playing softer this year no doubt but the d'onofrio defenses are a completely different story. btw there's no statistical basis for that argument, like at all.

If people tell you this defense is on the same planet as Onofrio's, mute them. You don't need that sort of dumbassery in your life.

Our DE all they need to do is

BOX and TRAIL

Do not cut corners stay true to this and force everything inside feed LB and DT.

Even if don’t make one tackle or sack , they will come in this scheme.
NEVER LOSE CONTAINMENT STAY FOCUSED IN YOUR PLAY

Not rocket science , this simple now DO IT

GOCANES

The perfect game plan would be to spy Hooker with our NFL linebacker, Zach McCloud
bill cosby comedy GIF

Advertisement
Miami turned the ball over on the first 4 possessions of the game last year, including VT starting at the 48, 20 and 25....5 turnovers total.

Not sure last year is the best measuring stick

I hope McCloud is ready this week because Fuente is going to attack him by air and ground. We really need the front 4 to play the game of their lives to take pressure off the LB group (McCloud and Jennings). Jennings is fine playing in a phone booth but VT is going to force him to play sideline to sideline. Need Gil and Smith on the field together as much as possible with 1 less LB.

Miami turned the ball over on the first 4 possessions of the game last year, including VT starting at the 48, 20 and 25....5 turnovers total.

Not sure last year is the best measuring stick
Lack of focus it’s our greatest weakness, it been imbedded in these kids deep in there gut .

To purge it is not a quick fix , there should be a huge line following Kings every move with a note pad .

King is the complete opposite of mist of the kids on this team, it’s a real shame King will have to carry these team because most are just tipping there toe in Kings work ethics and they find it is The road less traveled and puts them out of there comfort zone .

WINNING IS TORTURE TO ACHIEVE TILL RING CEREMONY THEN TEARS FLOW IN HUMILITY.

Teach that to a 3-5 star kid never hearing NO BEFORE... TOUGH

GOCANES

Advertisement
We all know what's going to happen:

- Misdirection
- LBs getting caught looking at eye candy and not reacting in time
- TEs seemingly uncovered
- WRs with too much cushion catching uncontested 7 yard passes on 3rd and 5
- Hooker escaping the rush and gashing the D for 10+ yard runs,
- Predictable and undisguised blitzes when the ball is near midfield; and
- CBs not turning around to make a play on an under thrown ball or back shoulder throw.

It's coming. We can sense it. We've seen it time and time again. We can scream at the TV and predict what's going to happen prior the ball being snapped.

Unfortunately, while we can anticipate whats going to happen on Saturday at noon, there is nothing any of us can do to stop it. It's up to Baker and the defensive staff to put our players in a position to win.

Prediction: If the defense plays another first half like NC State, we take an L.

Their absolute best player Khalil Herbert will be out for the game & their Defense is equally as atrocious as ours.

I think we'll win in a high scoring game, we'll give up a bunch of yards, but will be able to respond score for score.

It'll look like the Louisville game IMO.
LCE - Where did you hear/read that Herbert was out? He took himself out of the Liberty game after the first play because of a sore hamstring. It was bothering him entering the game. He tried to give it a go but to no avail.

There has been no official word on his status for Saturday. His absence is a major loss becasue there is a massive drop off in talent after Herbert. VT's ability to get outside containment would be limited and Baker could then (theoretically) scheme more on stopping the designed QB runs.

EDIT: Never mind...just saw your response above.

Everyone should just come to the logical conclusion that they will put up some yards and score some points but all of this Hooker carrying the ball left and right and up the middle is not going to work against us as easily as it did against Liberty.

Somebody is going to knock him out if he thinks he can just run willy -nilly on us. My bet is on Carter, who would probably get a penalty in the process but will still celebrate cause Hooker will be pulled off on a stretcher and sent to the tent.

Advertisement
Back