Va tech and their misdirection in offense

Every fan of this program needs to get on board with winning shootouts to finish the year. It hopefully will lead to the chumps firing

Advertisement
I literally have no faith in baker this game, fuente made baker look like the group of 5 dc that he is. It was way too easy. Hopefully the offense continue their play
I have faith. Bakers scheme will make their freshman TE look like an All American

After the game Baker will be saying they ran something we have not seen this year
That goes away after NC State. I defended that **** before cause it was factual but NC state for a second time ran a QB throwback pass. I'm over these middle to bottom tier QBs becoming Trevor Lawrence and these hoe *** trick/gimmick plays when they play this defense, The D Line is lazy or poorly coached or both and Zach McCloud plays football on this team still in 2020. Inexcusable. Ice Harris Voice "WhY tHe dEFenSe aIn'T WoRkIN?"

Advertisement
fuente offense vs manny defense has happened 4 times, and you can say that each side has won twice. ppl will obsess only over last year (hence this thread) but the world did exist prior to 2019. in 2017 and 2018 fuente put up 10 points and 14 points. i expect a shootout too, fuente is a good coach and VT's offense is good this year, but let's not cite one year of results and act like this defensive staff is not capable of holding down fuente's offense.

fuente offense vs manny defense has happened 4 times, and you can say that each side has won twice. ppl will obsess only over last year (hence this thread) but the world did exist prior to 2019. in 2017 and 2018 fuente put up 10 points and 14 points. i expect a shootout too, fuente is a good coach and VT's offense is good this year, but let's not cite one year of results and act like this defensive staff is not capable of holding down fuente's offense.
Baker is not diaz.... respectfully

Advertisement
There are two things that must be done to shut down the VT offense and we don't do either well.

The 1st is stopping the QB run. VT has feasted on QB run with Hendon Hooker running for 150 yards last week on mostly designed runs. Miami has struggled every week against mobile QBs. This has to change.

The 2nd is covering the TE and especially the TE throwback play that has killed us the past few years. Sadly, I think this trend continues. TEs have been open all season. Our starting LBs can't cover in space. More often than not, they bite for the cheese not even covering the TE let alone keeping up with him in coverage.

As much as I hate it, this is a game where we need to play a lot more zone defense with guys staying home and doing their job. The reason is because Hooker will have a field day running the ball against man coverage. With CBs and safeties covering WRs down field, it leaves our weakest links at LB exposed to make the plays which they have shown time and again not to against mobile QBs.

If you're thinking man coverage, don't. Two things have to be answered. Who's going to cover the TE and who's going to shadow Hooker the QB? Our starting LBs can't do either. So, if you shadow Hooker with our striker, then their TE will feast. If the striker covers the TE, then their QB run will feast.

By playing zone, the LBs can just cover an area rather than unsuccessfully trying to cover the TE all over the field or tackle Hooker 1v1. One possible solution is Cover-2 man under which is just zone with the corners playing press man. VT receivers don't scare me, but our CBs have made every QB and WR core look good, so maybe this is another bend but don't break game relying on our offense to put up 40+.

Another possibility is a single high safety with 1 safety in the box to stop the VT run game and shadow the QB. The striker can then cover the TE. This is probably the better defensive coverage to stop VT.

The key to the defense against VT is to NOT over pursue. We must be more disciplined and stay at home each player doing his job and his job only because the counters and misdirections are coming.

Last edited:
Advertisement
But baker running his d very poorly

I always say we got some pussyfied a55 fans who always think everybody going to beat us but somebody going to have to talk me down the ledge this week. I’ve lost even more faith in coach baker. 2 40 plus games(1 had a backup qb playing looking surgical on our D), Louisville had 34 and doing whatever the Fvck they wanted . Uva and pitt (with a backup qb) were consistently moving the ball.

I aint saying I’m scared but a mf definitely annoyed because we all know how va tech is going to call this game offensively vs Miami but yet we going to keep letting it happen

Advertisement
I always say we got some pussyfied a55 fans who always think everybody going to beat us but somebody going to have to talk me down the ledge this week. I’ve lost even more faith in coach baker. 2 40 plus games(1 had a backup qb playing looking surgical on our D), Louisville had 34 and doing whatever the Fvck they wanted . Uva and pitt (with a backup qb) were consistently moving the ball.

I aint saying I’m scared but a mf definitely annoyed because we all know how va tech is going to call this game offensively vs Miami but yet we going to keep letting it happen
Remember how you probably felt the same way after last year's VT game? We stifled a ranked UVA the following week and didn't let them score a TD.

Their absolute best player Khalil Herbert will be out for the game & their Defense is equally as atrocious as ours.

I think we'll win in a high scoring game, we'll give up a bunch of yards, but will be able to respond score for score.

It'll look like the Louisville game IMO.

Their absolute best player Khalil Herbert will be out for the game & their Defense is equally as atrocious as ours.

I think we'll win in a high scoring game, we'll give up a bunch of yards, but will be able to respond score for score.

It'll look like the Louisville game IMO.
It's been confirmed he is out or you are you basing on the reported severity of it?

It killed Miami all game last year. Is the defense/baker up for the task vs va tech this weekend? Yeah Jarren Williams helped get us in a early hole last season but at the end of the day the score was just 7-0 va tech after all 3 of those ints.

What Miami can NOT allow to happen Is for va tech to go 5 for 5 in redzone possessions for all tds like they did vs va tech last year.

we all know the plays they are going to do with the qb running and them slipping out their tight ends.... I’m just praying baker and the defense don’t look clueless again but at this point they are becoming a liability

Good post, Brock. Less blitzing, more pressure with four, hope the LBs can make the right reads

Advertisement
Back