UVA vs Canes Tonight @ 7PM on ACCN

I think people are hesitant because of the coaching issue in football. We'd see signs to be optimistic from a coach and then they'd fail and we'd hear how bad they really were after the fact. Coach L cleansed the Blake James stink off himself by making the Elite 8. DiMare can do the same by taking us to Omaha. Until then, the doubts will persist.

Advertisement
I honestly don’t know which category I fall into, if I fall into either. But it seems to be more people despise the put your head in the sand whenever something is going wrong, don’t dare post a negative thought, 15-0 fantasy land, message board police that some weirdos around here have become.
This board not near as bad as GameDay football. Posts are made in the heat of the moment during games. Does not mean the poster is negative overall.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I vote for bs staying. I also hate guys that get down on players. Unless you’ve had continued success hitting 90+ mph fastballs and 85+ mph sliders, you don’t know what it’s like. I’ve seen greatness up close and personal, and it’s rare. We have some really talented guys on the team right now, some great arms, but some guys seem to lack baseball IQ. That’s travel ball. It doesn’t teach baseball IQ, it teaches basics and stat chasing. It’s going to take time for some of the younger guys to develop real IQ. I feel like it will come though. We are getting better. Dorian and Yo-yo stand out as higher IQ guys to me

I vote for bs staying. I also hate guys that get down on players. Unless you’ve had continued success hitting 90+ mph fastballs and 85+ mph sliders, you don’t know what it’s like. I’ve seen greatness up close and personal, and it’s rare. We have some really talented guys on the team right now, some great arms, but some guys seem to lack baseball IQ. That’s travel ball. It doesn’t teach baseball IQ, it teaches basics and stat chasing. It’s going to take time for some of the younger guys to develop real IQ. I feel like it will come though. We are getting better. Dorian and Yo-yo stand out as higher IQ guys to me
Agree on the baseball IQ, as witnessed by a lot of the mental mistakes that drive many of us crazy (throws that shouldn't be made, getting picked-off in bad situations such as Yoyo hitting w 1 or no outs or their pitcher is struggling w his command, etc.). It was much worse last year but Gino cleaned a lot of that up it seems w the roster purging.

I agree a lot of us have been down on Romero but, to his credit, his attitude and leadership seem genuine and his play has improved slowly but surely, not to mention some of his clutch hits.

I think people are hesitant because of the coaching issue in football. We'd see signs to be optimistic from a coach and then they'd fail and we'd hear how bad they really were after the fact. Coach L cleansed the Blake James stink off himself by making the Elite 8. DiMare can do the same by taking us to Omaha. Until then, the doubts will persist.
Fair enough. For the most part this board is very well balanced and objective. Occasionally it gets silly, but all is well.

Advertisement
Yea Romero is a tough one to judge for me. He def doesn’t have a plan at the plate, but is serviceable behind the dish. He’s def someone who needs to study situational baseball from a defensive perspective.

Overall, I am enjoying watching this team play more so than most other years

I have lurked for a couple of years, but this topic piqued my interest. I coached a high school team for a couple of years here in FL. I have multiple guys playing in the pros and countless playing in college at the D1 level. I think as baseball fans, we tend to second guess almost every move the players/ coaches make. This is the nature of the game. There are things that are given “rules” of the game, but then there are things that are out of our control.

Example- last night all we needed was a fly ball in one situation, and we grounded into a double play. As a critic, I would say WTF was that guy thinking?!?! But as an ex player/head coach, I understand that maybe the pitcher made the pitch he needed to make, and we just got bested in that situation.

I seem to fall right in the middle. There are things that I would do differently than DiMare, but there are also things that I know are just part of the game. I was never “negative” towards my guys, I would say I was tough on them and expected mistakes, but not mental mistakes. We can all jump on dumb mental mistakes, but errors and execution by opposing teams is tough to pile on for…just my two cents

you're correct, and in reality, i think that is what sets people off.

many fans on here feel that for a top tier program like UM to have multiple error games on a (mostly) regular basis, and have ongoing baserunning mistakes and wasted at bats, really seems like a lack of coaching and accountability in the way the team is run.

you're right. sometimes the other guy just makes a play. you tip your hat, and move on to the next batter.

but when you help him along with mental errors and lack of baseball discipline, that's in your control, and that part stings.

but either way, this has been a very good two weeks of baseball. let's keep it up!

Advertisement
That’s fair. But instead of screaming at their house some people let it out here. Of course there have been reactions occasionally that are way over the top but for the most part 90% of “negative” posts are very mild reactions to a negative play that just occurred. I just don’t think that makes anyone a better or worse fan because of it. I guess it just seems every game thread lately has been derailed by someone going back and checking receipts for anyone that had the slightest negative post and then it just unravels into a bickering match. All good though, just letting out my thoughts. Going to enjoy some beach time in Jupiter before a big night of Canes baseball and Panthers hockey. See you all this evening, GO CANES!
Great win tonite!!

let it go GIF
You are correct , but....

Advertisement
Back