UVA Tailgate

Sorry but this doesn't explain away why thousands feel almost obligated to spend hours in a parking lot each weekend.

If I wanna do hoodrat things for 3 hours before going to a game, to escape my high paying corporate & family life, tailgating is where it’s at

As someone else said, it’s logistics and transportation driven….

Advertisement
As someone else said, it’s logistics and transportation driven….
Everyone who decides to arrive 5 hours early and turn a small, confined parking space on asphalt into their home away from home has every right to make that happen. But I do wonder how many even consider that other options exist.

west orange - debauchery, including nakedness, vomiting, pole dancing, cornholding and other fun activities. lots of cheap alcohol
green - mature lot, elite alcohol and food, families, chill.
east orange - amalgam of "west orange" and green.
yellow - BFE

Which lot is the nose beer lot?

But do you see how fiercely defensive they get about this opinion?

You're considered un-American if you don't toe the line.
I could give a rats *** what they think. I've been to MANY UM Tailgates both home & away, since the early 80s....and I'd much rather meet up a few hours before a game (Greet & Meet) at an establishment both home or away. I know alot of people who feel the same.

Advertisement
Everyone who decides to arrive 5 hours early and turn a small, confined parking space on asphalt into their home away from home has every right to make that happen. But I do wonder how many even consider that other options exist.

I see what you’re saying. Between nfl and college I’ve been to about 30 stadiums, and some are better than others from a tailgating standpoint.

Hard Rock being away from campus and not a great area immediately around it doesn’t offer a lot of the intangible benefits that a school like Ole Miss or Tennessee offers

I'd much rather meet at some establishment prior to the game enjoying time with friends and then riding over to the game, than standing in a Parking Lot for 2-3 hours....but that's just me, to each their own.

I think the problem most people have with this is traffic. I'm with you (and I'll preface this with I'm very old and would NEVER have thought this was in my twenties), I would rather sit in the air conditioning and chill and watch other games and drink and take a nice stress-free, non-Porta potty or into someone's open truck door ****, and then go to the game. The problem is, let's say it's an 8:00 game. If you want to do what I described above, you probably need to leave that establishment at 7:00 to get over to the game. And that last hour of tailgating is when everyone really starts foaming at the mouth and things start to get wild. I don't want to be sitting in a car, or an uber, in traffic going 2 mph trying to get into the stadium in that situation. I'd rather already be at the stadium and I can walk in when I want.

I think in a lot of other stadiums, it's either on campus, or close. So you can do what you're describing. Go sit at a bar a few hundred yards from the stadium and walk over when you want. You can't do that at Hard Rock. So I'd rather get there maybe 90 minutes before kickoff, get a nice lather in, and then walk in when I want vs the anxiety of battling traffic at 7:30 with a nice buzz wondering if I'm going to be able to get through this sea of ******** in time for kickoff. JMO.

west orange - debauchery, including nakedness, vomiting, pole dancing, cornholding and other fun activities. lots of cheap alcohol
green - mature lot, elite alcohol and food, families, chill.
east orange - amalgam of "west orange" and green.
yellow - BFE
No love for the Blue lot, huh?

The Blue Lot is last year’s West Orange lot (they changed the colors…not sure why).

I will die before understanding why spending time in the parking lot before a game is compulsory behavior among football fans. Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't do this anywhere but the United States.

It is cheaper than doing it in a pub, which is where the rest of the world does it. Plus, you can get away with a lot more unacceptable behavior. I see absolutely no problem with it.
Side note, I am a nerd and I used to go to horror movie conventions. I started tailgating at one of the early ones in the Baltimore area. A lot of folks noticed, it was discussed on the message boards, and some people laughed, but it became a big thing the next year, and has continued since.........

Advertisement
I think the problem most people have with this is traffic. I'm with you (and I'll preface this with I'm very old and would NEVER have thought this was in my twenties), I would rather sit in the air conditioning and chill and watch other games and drink and take a nice stress-free, non-Porta potty or into someone's open truck door ****, and then go to the game. The problem is, let's say it's an 8:00 game. If you want to do what I described above, you probably need to leave that establishment at 7:00 to get over to the game. And that last hour of tailgating is when everyone really starts foaming at the mouth and things start to get wild. I don't want to be sitting in a car, or an uber, in traffic going 2 mph trying to get into the stadium in that situation. I'd rather already be at the stadium and I can walk in when I want.

I think in a lot of other stadiums, it's either on campus, or close. So you can do what you're describing. Go sit at a bar a few hundred yards from the stadium and walk over when you want. You can't do that at Hard Rock. So I'd rather get there maybe 90 minutes before kickoff, get a nice lather in, and then walk in when I want vs the anxiety of battling traffic at 7:30 with a nice buzz wondering if I'm going to be able to get through this sea of ******** in time for kickoff. JMO.

i tailgate a few times a year only, and get there early. i detest sitting in traffic. in addition, i like to get inside the stadium at least one hour before to watch warmups.

It’s the American 🇺🇸 fing way, go away you globalist fool.
going off alex jones GIF

I agree in regards to Hard Rock....not much close by but when I go to Raleigh, or for that matter any number of away game venues, they have a Ton of killer places to eat and drink. Especially Raleigh, and when I went to Knoxville yrs ago, I was Treated like royalty with outstanding food and drinks a hop, skip and jump from the stadium.

Advertisement
It is cheaper than doing it in a pub, which is where the rest of the world does it. Plus, you can get away with a lot more unacceptable behavior. I see absolutely no problem with it.
Side note, I am a nerd and I used to go to horror movie conventions. I started tailgating at one of the early ones in the Baltimore area. A lot of folks noticed, it was discussed on the message boards, and some people laughed, but it became a big thing the next year, and has continued since.........
Are you comfortable drinking beer in your Chucky PJs?

I will die before understanding why spending time in the parking lot before a game is compulsory behavior among football fans. Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't do this anywhere but the United States.
My theory is that the more of a pain in the *** the stadium is to get to, the more tailgating there will be.

Advertisement
I agree in regards to Hard Rock....not much close by but when I go to Raleigh, or for that matter any number of away game venues, they have a Ton of killer places to eat and drink. Especially Raleigh, and when I went to Knoxville yrs ago, I was Treated like royalty with outstanding food and drinks a hop, skip and jump from the stadium.

Bingo bango…. Hit the nail on the head

Advertisement
Back