UVA Tailgate

Advertisement
west orange - debauchery, including nakedness, vomiting, pole dancing, cornholding and other fun activities. lots of cheap alcohol
green - mature lot, elite alcohol and food, families, chill.
east orange - amalgam of "west orange" and green.
yellow - BFE

I will die before understanding why spending time in the parking lot before a game is compulsory behavior among football fans. Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't do this anywhere but the United States.

Advertisement
I will die before understanding why spending time in the parking lot before a game is compulsory behavior among football fans. Correct me if I'm wrong but they don't do this anywhere but the United States.
this is false. there is plenty of "pre-gaming" which is what tailgating is in soccer. i went to a pregame party before a soccer match in Florence this year.

this is false. there is plenty of "pre-gaming" which is what tailgating is in soccer. i went to a pregame party before a soccer match in Florence this year.
Did you spend the 6 hours leading up to the game in a parking lot though? Something tells me that in Florence you spent that time in town at nice places eating and drinking, and not in a confined parking space, huddled underneath a canopy sitting on a folding chair surrounded by strangers.

Did you spend the 6 hours leading up to the game in a parking lot though? Something tells me that in Florence you spent that time in town at nice places eating and drinking, and not in a confined parking space, huddled underneath a canopy sitting on a folding chair surrounded by strangers.

Perhaps Florence involved "nice places", but that's not the case with most soccer pre-gaming, which is spent in local pubs close to the stadiums.

Very simply, the other parts of the world where soccer pre-gaming is big...are not as reliant on cars and driving to matches. There is a greater use of trains or buses to get close to the stadium, and then the "tailgating" happens in bars and pubs and along the "march to the match".

Huddled under a canopy? I'll give you that one. But the pre-game process is fairly similar. Drinking in small groups within a large group of strangers.

Advertisement
Perhaps Florence involved "nice places", but that's not the case with most soccer pre-gaming, which is spent in local pubs close to the stadiums.

Very simply, the other parts of the world where soccer pre-gaming is big...are not as reliant on cars and driving to matches. There is a greater use of trains or buses to get close to the stadium, and then the "tailgating" happens in bars and pubs and along the "march to the match".

Huddled under a canopy? I'll give you that one. But the pre-game process is fairly similar. Drinking in small groups within a large group of strangers.
Yes, obviously the people there like to get blitzed before a game just like anyone would. But the way they do it in Europe just makes more sense to me. Having participated in hundreds of American tailgates, I personally don't understand why so many find hanging out in a parking lot for several hours to be this irresistable activity that automatically comes along with attending a game. There are other options lol.

I agree wholeheartedly...to be Honest, I F-ing hate them.

your lack of capacity to reason through dissimilar environments is troubling. hopefully you are just a desk clerk at a municipal agency.

exactly. go to fenway park and you will pregame in nearby pubs.

Advertisement
Yes, obviously the people there like to get blitzed before a game just like anyone would. But the way they do it in Europe just makes more sense to me. Having participated in hundreds of American tailgates, I personally don't understand why so many find hanging out in a parking lot for several hours to be this irresistable activity that automatically comes along with attending a game. There are other options lol.
if you go to a tailgate to get blitzed at your age, then you are a punk.

Went to a Chelsea Stoke City PL match about a decade or so ago. It's a pub/bar thing for hours before the match and then back to the pub/bar after, but it's because there isn't massive lots to park your vehicles around the stadiums. It's no different than going to a sporting event in a major metro are like a Yankees, Knicks, Lakers, etc. game. I'm sure given the space to do it for soccer matches, people would probably engage in it.

IMG_7776.jpeg
IMG_7777.jpeg

Advertisement
Ah, the clueless people on this board. Being surrounded by strangers is part of what makes things interesting.

Sorry but this doesn't explain away why thousands feel almost obligated to spend hours in a parking lot each weekend.
I'd much rather meet at some establishment prior to the game enjoying time with friends and then riding over to the game, than standing in a Parking Lot for 2-3 hours....but that's just me, to each their own.

I'd much rather meet at some establishment prior to the game enjoying time with friends and then riding over to the game, than standing in a Parking Lot for 2-3 hours....but that's just me, to each their own.
But do you see how fiercely defensive they get about this opinion?

You're considered un-American if you don't toe the line.

Advertisement
Back