UVA spring game

Canezum5

Senior
Premium
Since I'm right here in Charlottesville for a few weeks and the UVA vs UM game will probably be the Coastal decider I figured I'd go scout.

I only stayed for the 1st half because I was drunk and horny plus the sun was disrespectful.

OFFENSE:
QBs- Brennan Armstrong played for both teams so I didn't get to see the back ups. Brennan looked as polished as you'd expect. Threw quite well under pressure and on the run. Threw a pic into cover 2 coverage that was really bone headed as the corner was sitting on the flats and the safety was already shaded to the deep 3rd corner tipped it.. safety picked it. Stupid play. Outside of that he looked good.

WRs- at this point they're lacking. Nobody stood out and I didn't see any real speed or elite quickness. Corners glued them. Number 99 is still the guy in their offense. He brings physicality and size but his hands are questionable and he has mudfeet for route running. They'll definitely use him up the seams more than anything. Drops...EB

TEs- looks to be the bulk of their offensive skill talent. Got some nice size and pieces there. They got some attention in this offense. Similar to us. Lol. Witmer, Misch, Wood. 3 big *** white guys that will sneak up on you.

RBs- Saw NOTHING special. No dudes.

Oline- probably the main reason I saw no dudes at WR and RB. They got ABUSED. No time to pass. No space to run. They need help there and BAD. No Dudes

DEFENSE:

D-line- two dudes. Faumui and Smiley. Those are the guys and both are stout against run and pass. Entire Dline unit was sound and stout at the POA but those two stood out. They got hosses. Some dudes that SEEM tough to move

LBs- Gulliver Preps own Dsean Perry looked good. Might have a great season. Sure tackling. Was cleaning up on 3rd down. Nick Jackson is a dude but Perry seemed to be the up and Comer

DBS- didn't see too much from this group as the lack of time prevented them from being TRULY tested. They all play physical and with hands. They will play physical beyond the 5 yard bump rule.

Offense- Could've just been the fact that it was a vanilla spring game but Kitchings offense was looking REEALLLLL
Lashlee like. Mostly shotgun. Mostly spread. Some 12 personnel. Good route concepts to stretch the field and scheme some guys open. No run game variation at all. Inside zone from shotgun literally EVERY SINGLE RUN PLAY. This made it really hard to judge the Oline blocking and the Dline run stopping ability because it was obvious af the defense was used to that play in practice.

Defense- Rudzinski gave some 3-4 under like Bronco and some 4-3 under looks. but the biggest difference is trust in his DBs and pass rush. He trust his boys. both Safeties played only 7 to 12 yards off the LOS every single snap. A lot of cover 2 and 3.

Everybody getting physical so nothing clean off the LOS. Alignments were great. Not much busted coverage and broken tackles. It SEEMS, from a philosophical standpoint that this man gives nothing easy. You will not dink and dunk him to death.

You're going to HAVE to complete your deep balls to get him to back off that LOS. As good as Brennan can be, this team will be led by the defense at this point. Could be different in the fall. You can quite clearly see the impact of his coaching ALREADY. THEY WILL NOT BE A ranked as low as last year.

Thanks for reading. If it was TLDR then 🖕🏿🖕🏿🖕🏿

Advertisement
Thanks for the write up and remembering as much as you did in consideration of your condition. and thanks in particular for what you wrote about Nick Jackson. We have been family friends thru AAU basketball since Nick was about 6 years old. His dad and I are very close, and Nick went to high school with both my kids. He is a great young man.

Man look... that elite 18 vodka and that hot *** sun ruined ME. Pulled up at my side piece crib to get some action, after I left and ended up falling asleep in her driveway for 2 hours 🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️🤦🏿‍♂️

Yeah Nick is going places. No need for a big write up on him. Young man has shown his worth in live action.

Advertisement
I really wanted to reply about 17. Kid look like he definitely has speed to be a deep threat and make plays on short routes. #2 the running back also showed quickness and moves in the open field (broke for a long run, made one of the defenders look dumb asf).
Oh and number 17 " Starling" I believe. Is a dude. Him and a little Wes Welker clone flashed on special teams. Definitely 2 guys 2 look out for on reverses and special teams.

Nice write up. Imagine how talented you'd be sober. JK 😜
Hope D'Sean has a great season except for when they play Us. He was Mr Do it all for Gulliver.

Their best WR’s are Dontayvion Wicks, Keyaton Thompson, & Billy Kemp IV. I was surprised Kemp still had eligibility, he was a 2018 signee, but he’s a really effective Slot Back, he’s basically their Swiss Army knife on offense. Starling is set for a breakout year in terms of how they’ll use him, they also signed two WR’s in the 22 class one of them being a 4-star kid Dakota Twitty & 3-star Sean Wilson, both are 6’5 (although I think they might develop Twitty into a TE, ala Jelani Woods). They also got a transfer WR from Wisconsin too, but he’s just a FR.

Their bread & butter as a team last year was their high powered passing attack, Tony E & Des Kitchings are not that style of play callers, they’re way more balanced & both come from the Bobby Lamb Furman system. This will be a big test for Tony E & how he manages that offense because a lot of Clemson fans felt he wasn’t a good play caller & actually set them back offensively post Trevor Lawrence. They have one of the top QB’s in the ACC & have a good group of WR’s, their run game is pretty pedestrian & they lost their best OL to the Portal, so it will be interesting to see how much different they are from last year.

On Defense, they added 4 DL’s from the Portal & have an active fast LB corps.

Their Secondary is gonna be mostly veteran Seniors, but the best one in the group is Anthony Johnson a Coco Creek kid from Nade that transferred in from LVille back in 2020, he’s developed into a solid Boundary Corner. But otherwise, they don’t really have top tier defenders on the backend, nobody that was as good as Thornhill was.

Advertisement
Thanks for the write up. UVA could be a trap game before FSU. But I continue to believe Pitt is our main competition in the Coastal. We’re lucky we get them at home this year. We’ll know a lot more about them after their non-conference slate — Tennessee and West Virginia.

Thanks for the write up. UVA could be a trap game before FSU. But I continue to believe Pitt is our main competition in the Coastal. We’re lucky we get them at home this year. We’ll know a lot more about them after their non-conference slate — Tennessee and West Virginia.
Not sure how Virginia could be a trap game for us when they have given us fits for a few years

But I get your point

The Coastal is just so **** weird a couple of tweaks for a team can propel them up quite a bit

Went to the Notre Dame spring game. My takeaway was that spring games are close to worthless.
True.. you can get some fruit from it tho.

You think the coaches from our 1st few games wont be studying some spring game film?

At very least you can learn a tendency or 2

Advertisement
Went to the Notre Dame spring game. My takeaway was that spring games are close to worthless.
Spring games are vanilla yes.

The thing it shows though is where the strengths are by position. How the players move, and the pace of movement, and gives a look at the depth at almost all positions.

Not much else, but teams can only play based on the talent and experience on the team, so spring games give a taste, they show the ingredients for the meal, but the stove is not lit............it just lays those items on the countertop.

That's all.

Notre Dame needs a new QB, the kid who will be the QB, fell down the stairs the week of the game. The 2nd string kid kept throwing the ball to the defense. Made it hard to evaluate the offense or the defense. My guess is they are much better than I saw, but I'll bet OSU whips them on 9/3.

Advertisement
Back