UVA, Mike London, and Recruits

He is a good recruiter, but this is his team by now. He should have stocked up on QB's like Golden did. See a problem, fix a problem. Year 3, the team should have at least been close to what he did in 2011 because the kids he recruited his first year should have been Juniors/RS-sophomores. What's happening there looks like a coaching issue.

Advertisement
I agree with bomb that he is on a very long leash at UVA.

As noted he's had some recruiting successes and he represents the University well. If his graduation rates stay up he'll buy himself enough time to allow his recruiting wheel to go round.

That said, now that we dont play ufelony anymore, I plan on replacing my hatred off all things uf with all things uva (starting with the lack of capitalization of their name- :) ) I still think back to our last game in the OB. I sat there and watched uva hand 40+ on us by running the EXACT SAME ******* PLAY ON EVERY 3rd DOWN. Randy should have been let go right after that game. One of the more disgusting days in my life.

He certainly has a longer leash than most coaches, but there is some discontent among boosters starting to creep in. He is definitely a good recruiter, and a good coach in some respects, but is terrible at managing. At University of Richmond he was able to overcome this because he faced inferior competition and the organizational demands were less. This is based on what I have heard through UVA fans and a former player of his at UR.

I am certainly not trying to make this a race thing, but he has a lot of the shortcomings of Randy Shannon, who was a solid coordinator and recruiter, but not up to the HC challenge. To help manage this situation, the UVA athletic department essentially forced him to clean house and brought in experienced coordinators who could help address areas where London needs help. I expect he will have this season and next to see if the arrangement will work and then UVA will start talking to their deep pockets about a buyout.

This guy is a beast recruiter.

He took over a terrible Al Groh led team in 2010 (they went 3-9 in 2009). His record at UVA is

2010: 4-8 (1-7)
2011: 8-5 (5-3)
2012: 4-8 (2-6)
2013: 2-2 (0-1)

I would say after year 2, things were looking great but the regression in 2012 was terrible. IMO are going to give him another year unless he only pulls out 4-5 wins. This guy is out recruiting Beamer and Co in the area and that is part of why VT, IMO, has been struggling.

Clearly a good coach....

He certainly has a longer leash than most coaches, but there is some discontent among boosters starting to creep in. He is definitely a good recruiter, and a good coach in some respects, but is terrible at managing. At University of Richmond he was able to overcome this because he faced inferior competition and the organizational demands were less. This is based on what I have heard through UVA fans and a former player of his at UR.

I am certainly not trying to make this a race thing, but he has a lot of the shortcomings of Randy Shannon, who was a solid coordinator and recruiter, but not up to the HC challenge. To help manage this situation, the UVA athletic department essentially forced him to clean house and brought in experienced coordinators who could help address areas where London needs help. I expect he will have this season and next to see if the arrangement will work and then UVA will start talking to their deep pockets about a buyout.

We've spoken about it many-a-time here. One of the more under-rated aspects of being a head coach at an elite D1 skool is the ability to manage a coaching staff effectively. You see a lot of first time head coaches struggle with this. Often times its their network of potential assistants that is wanting and that comes back to haunt them will trying to build and maintain a staff. Its not an accident that a handful of guys are getting millions and millions of dollars but most are not. Its not a plug and play profession. lol

Advertisement
I am certainly not trying to make this a race thing, but he has a lot of the shortcomings of Randy Shannon, who was a solid coordinator and recruiter, but not up to the HC challenge.

So do lane kiffen and Paul Pasqualoni and Frank Spaziani.

did not see them getting hammered at home coming, i wonder if Blanding & Brown are looking at VT's defense right now

Advertisement
And UVA embarrasses the ACC again by losing to an average non-BCS program at home no less.

And UVA embarrasses the ACC again by losing to an average non-BCS program at home no less.

All the more reason we should be sick of losing to UVA. Their fans dress like G. Washington and James Madison. We need to run them over.

Advertisement
This guy is a beast recruiter.

He took over a terrible Al Groh led team in 2010 (they went 3-9 in 2009). His record at UVA is

2010: 4-8 (1-7)
2011: 8-5 (5-3)
2012: 4-8 (2-6)
2013: 2-2 (0-1)

I would say after year 2, things were looking great but the regression in 2012 was terrible. IMO are going to give him another year unless he only pulls out 4-5 wins. This guy is out recruiting Beamer and Co in the area and that is part of why VT, IMO, has been struggling.

Clearly a good coach....

I never said he was a good coach, I said he could recruit.

Advertisement
He was one of the coaches always mentioned on the hot seat coming in to the season, so he's definitely hemorrhaging after this loss.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back