USF & The 2010 Season; A Fixed Point In Time

View as article

Dan E. Dangerously

This board...it's my note
Maude
I got to thinking about the history of the USF/Miami series, and how important it was for this program. The good and the bad. And how 2010 became a moment so important in UM's timeline that it forever changed the program.

469.jpg

One of the final things done by Paul Dee in his last year as UM's Athletic Director was the finalization of a five year deal to play USF, beginning in 2009. The deal was signed in 2007, and a year earlier UM had just agreed to play two games with Florida. The problem was there was a large gap between the first game (2008) and Florida's return trip (2013). ESPN broached the idea to UM about having a rivalry match up to be played during Thanksgiving week to coincide with the FSU/UiF game.

It seemed intriguing at the time, and some Miami fans were all for it. The idea being that USF was a rising power and it could help us fill the stands with another in-state rival. The kind of game that UiF was adamant in not providing us. The only prior meeting between the two was a 27-7 win in 2005 where UM just kind of toyed with them.

470.jpg

Fast forward two years later and USF was coming off a season where they were ranked as high as #2 in the nation. Jim Leavitt had them rolling.

In 2009, when the first game was about to be played, Miami was a young team and looked to be moving in the right direction under Randy Shannon. Miami won pretty easily, riding Damien Berry and Javarris James to a convincing win. After Miami won the first meeting by three touchdowns, everyone thought this whole series was a great idea. After all, we looked so spiffy in our Nike Pro Combat Jerseys:

13.jpg

"Lets play more games against them", they said. "We'll never lose to a directional Florida school", they said. Then 2010 happened.

2010 was supposed to be the year that Miami took the next step. That step being a player on the national stage again. There was a lot of enthusiasm going into the season. We were ranked in the preseason polls for the first time in 4 years. We also were coming off of a 9 win season and returned most of our key starters. Then we had a turnover filled disaster against Ohio State in the second week of the season. That game made it clear that the interception problems from the year before were going to be a persistent thing with this team. We managed to shake that off until we got the doors blown off of us by FSU in Jimbo Fisher's first year as coach.

This is a moment that LuCane points out as the pendulum shifting moment in the UM/FSU rivalry. It's also when the "Fire Randy" train started getting ready to leave the station for most people. After overcoming the long walk at Duke, the team regrouped by finally beating UNC. This was something that was propped up by Randy's supporters as an accomplishment, only because he hadn't beaten them before. That was completely irrelevant one week later when UM lost on the road to an awful UVA team. Randy made things worse two days later by going on the radio and telling Joe Rose that it wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't win the Coastal Division. Another loss to Virginia Tech a few weeks later eliminated UM from the Coastal Division title, and gave them a 7-4 record heading into the final game of the season. Everyone in Miami was irate, people made banners and everything:

1.jpg

After a season so pathetic and embarrassing, losing to USF would've been the toothpick that held together the ****-sandwich of a season that we had just been subjected to. And lose we did. Late in the 4th quarter, while already in field goal range, Offensive Coordinator Mark Whipple called a play for Jacory to throw down the field on 3rd and 15. It got intercepted, and the game went to overtime. On our first possession we went 3 and out and settled for a field goal. If you couldn't already tell what was going to happen next, then I feel sorry for you.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

In retrospect, the loss turned out to be great for two reasons. The first reason was that the national media attributed USF's win to the greatness of Skip Holtz. He was in his first year after Jim Leavitt got the ziggy for slapping around one of his players. If a real coach was there that win could've have been turned into something meaningful for them. Something a little more tangible than a billboard on the highway and a couple of recruits. Instead they had a corch who was out of a job two years later. The second great reason was that it led to the firing of Randy Shannon a few hours after the game. The previous sentence needs no further explanation.

The lasting images from the past two games against USF are quite a contrast from those in 2010. I'll never (and I mean NEVER) forget seeing Colin McCarthy, down on one knee, crying his eyes out after having lost on senior day. That's what makes the 6-3 win in 2011 so great to me.

[video=youtube;iduAhAEnBz8]www.youtube.com/watch?v=iduAhAEnBz8[/video]

Now the first thing Canes fans think about when USF is brought up is that scene of Golden and the team jumping around Jake Wieclaw before his game winning kick. If that wasn't enough to wipe the awful images of 2010 from your brain, then the 40-9 beat down last year surely did it. Mainly because of Denzel Perryman leaving Bobby Eveld's lifeless body folded up like a cheap accordion:

21.gif

The last time Eveld was in Sun Life Stadium, it was coming off the bench in the 2nd half to lead his team to that 2010 victory. Perryman sent him back to the bench with an injury like it was his life's mission to do so.

Now we're getting ready to play USF for probably the final time. I wont miss them, and neither should any of you. There's a reason they are getting left behind in the AAC. They've lost whatever momentum they had as a program and aren't going to be able to recreate it. Especially in that awful conference of theirs. All of these things render the purpose of this "rivalry game" meaningless. That's not to say I'm not grateful to them being responsible for Al Golden coming to Coral Gables. Far from it, we'll always have 2010 to look back on. I just want us to return the favor by giving one more beating. Think of it as our way of saying, "Thank You", to USF. Don't let these guys get it in their heads that we dropped them because we're too scared to play them.

Advertisement
Dan, thank you for adding some humor and light to what has otherwise been a very difficult time to be a Hurricanes fan. It seems that finally, after almost 10 years there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

On the record, I thought the series at the time made no sense and it still makes no sense. They offer nothing to us other than recruiting Tampa (which became popular for UM under AG). Nobody SERIOUSLY thought there was a big 4, nobody thought USF was threatening to Miami's territory. Once we signed this 5 year deal it legitimized USF as an opponent although they were not one.

We have nothing to gain, we have everything to lose. If you want to schedule Florida teams (not UF) to keep costs down, then put FAU on the schedule or FAMU/BC because beating USF does nothing for our school still.

When we train rape USF this year we will finish the series 4-1, I would never schedule them or UCF again. I am not scared of USF or UCF but we need to make it known that they are not worth our time.

The USF loss in 2010 was a necessary evil. Lose the battle, win the war type of deal.

Advertisement
The USF loss in 2010 was a necessary evil. Lose the battle, win the war type of deal.

That is possible, something tells me UM would have cleaned house after going 7-5 in year 4. Not to mention the NS stuff was about to drop at the end of the year.

It's always a good morning to open up the Football Board and see a new Dan E. post.

and yes, right after that 2010 game, I just hoped it would serve as the hidden blessing of solidifying Shannon's termination, so we could finally get this program back on the right track after years of continual - Coker/Shannon - regression.

USF should have never left CUSA. They have a long way to go to become relevant again and the AAC is the worst conference in 1A.

Advertisement
USF should have never left CUSA. They have a long way to go to become relevant again and the AAC is the worst conference in 1A.

that's easy to say in hindsight. At the time, it was a no-brainer to move to an automatice BCS qualifier conference. it was not even debateable.

I said it at the time and I'll continue saying it....USF did us the biggest favor in the history of this program when they beat us that day. There's no doubt in my mind Shannon would have survived another year otherwise and we'd be that much farther behind the curve right now.

Can you imagine what additional years under Shannon combined with the NCAA mess would have looked like without Golden?

When they're not playing us, I won't root against USF. We owe them a lot when you come to think about it.

Nice touch. We should send thank you note to FIU also for finishing off Coaker for us. ****, after Al's raises the crystal ball at Pasadena let's take up a collection and send both a dozen roses. Know that you got me thinking thins way, maybe a nice arrangement of 21 roses for the gator would be nice salt for wounds our D left on thier hide ripping off all those scales. We could throw in 6 of something else to, you know note our 6 NC rings.

I said it at the time and I'll continue saying it....USF did us the biggest favor in the history of this program when they beat us that day. There's no doubt in my mind Shannon would have survived another year otherwise and we'd be that much farther behind the curve right now.

Can you imagine what additional years under Shannon combined with the NCAA mess would have looked like without Golden?

When they're not playing us, I won't root against USF. We owe them a lot when you come to think about it.

I don't think he makes it another year regardless, 7-5 record in year 4 (nothing to save him on the field). Then combine that with the NCAA stuff (his coaches & players look out of control), he gets the AXE.

Advertisement
right after 2010 game, I hoped it would serve as solidifying Shannon's termination

I had to drive back to Central Fla from the Keys after that game.. Wife couldn't believe I wasn't more upset. I told her to wait... & eventually the news broke on the radio. William Wallace appeared in our car that night.
326.gif

Yes I know there are rules but I don't care... At work.

I remember I went out to the bar after the game and just being ****ed. then got a alert on my phone that Randy had been cut lose!! I bought a round of shots!

I have no problems with USF. They got ****** Radio Charmin fired and gave us Golden. Thank You USF!!!

Advertisement
right after 2010 game, I hoped it would serve as solidifying Shannon's termination

I had to drive back to Central Fla from the Keys after that game.. Wife couldn't believe I wasn't more upset. I told her to wait... & eventually the news broke on the radio. William Wallace appeared in our car that night.
Same thing with me only I was at home. I was listening to the post game show on WQAM with Lamar Thomas, Darrin Smith, and Randall Hill calling in. Lamar was always defending Shannon throughout the year, but after the game he finally said something to the effect of "if we're going to make a change, then lets go ahead and get it over with". Whoever was the main host broke in about 5 minutes later with the news that Randy had been fired.

Last edited:

I don't think he makes it another year regardless, 7-5 record in year 4 (nothing to save him on the field). Then combine that with the NCAA stuff (his coaches & players look out of control), he gets the AXE.
Forget about how the scandal is treated differently with the offending head coach and assistants still on the job. Forget about how differently the 2011 season goes with Randy at the helm. Can you imagine Randy addressing the media at practice the day the news hits? It would be the absolute worst thing ever.

Forget about how the scandal is treated differently with the offending head coach and assistants still on the job. Forget about how differently the 2011 season goes with Randy at the helm. Can you imagine Randy addressing the media at practice the day the news hits? It would be the absolute worst thing ever.

You mean with his arms crossed.

Advertisement
Back