USF Non-Conference Series

Advertisement
Terrible ******* idea scheduling USF, FIU, FAU or UCF.

Does absolutely ZERO for us.

Just on the surface I don't mind this. I'd never live there but a Tampa away game road trip can be a realllll solid time and is an easy trip. And by realllll solid I mean if you leave the wives and girlfriends at home.

We can debate it but I'm of the strong belief that the current 4 team Playoff system doesn't reward strong OOC scheduling. I absolutely think we're headed toward expansion and some (hopefully 3) at-large bids where strength of schedule would be more vastly more important. Would have loved to see an attempt to get a home-and-home with Texas or USC or even Oklahoma under this premise.

I'm a USF Alum, but was Canes long before The Bulls came along. I will probably get a lot of grief from my frat Bros for tailgating all Canes Up, but the Canes is where the heart is.

It's 2019 and it's impossible (and suicidal) to schedule 4 OOC power 5 opponents. As much as we love the big match ups, teams aren't as willing to put a bunch of out of conference powerhouses on their schedule because it's pointless. The playoff selection committee has already proven they don't care about non conference schedules. You're left with three options to fill at least two OOC slots on your schedule.
]
1. You can schedule an FCS team. You pay some poor schleps a ton of money to come get embarrassed on your home field in front of a 2/3 full stadium.

2. You can schedule some type of home and home or two for one series with some out of state G5 program that nobody cares about. You don't have to shell out the cash but you're forcing your team to travel to Boone, or Toledo, or wherever the **** ARky State is located.

3. You can schedule some type of home and home or two for one series with an in state G5 program that gives our fan base an opportunity to travel to the road game.

Advertisement
Terrible ******* idea scheduling USF, FIU, FAU or UCF.

Does absolutely ZERO for us.

I would think it’s cheaper to play these schools than traveling OOS. I don’t mind it. Playing at FIU in Marlins Park is going to be a cool experience and doesn’t cost the school a thing.

Just on the surface I don't mind this. I'd never live there but a Tampa away game road trip can be a realllll solid time and is an easy trip. And by realllll solid I mean if you leave the wives and girlfriends at home.

EB94471D-9357-4A2A-BD5C-9CF7C1656560.jpeg

Amen, the talent in Tampa is great.

This is frustrating to read.

Virtually all P5 schools play the same schedule. If you want a comparator, just look at Alabama’s schedule. I don’t know how many times I’ve posted this, but here goes:

The schedule follows a standard framework, which in the ACC (and SEC and others) is as follows:

• 8 conference games
• 2 G5 opponents
• 1 FCS opponent
• 1 OOC P5 opponent

So if you look at our 2019 schedule this year, you’ll see we play 2 G5 schools, FIU and Central Michigan, one FCS which is Bethune Cookman, and one P5 which is UFailure this year.

Check the schedule of other O5 conference teams, especially the SEC, and you’ll see the same pattern. Everyone more or less follows this.

To substitute another P5 for an FCS or a G5 adds nothing to your schedule other than greater risk. You don’t get extra credit. You don’t see Alabama doing it. You don’t see Clemson doing it. You don’t see Oklahoma doing it.

If you want to compete for championships, you’ve got to make a schedule that’s equivalent to other P5 powers. We are already doing that.

It’s fair if you want to say you want a greater marquee G5 opponent, or greater marquee FCS opponent, if such a thing as possible. But that’s really the only latitude you have. That is, if you want to be reasonable.

Advertisement
Anyone *****ing about this 2 for 1 is stupid, plain and simple.

It’s a good deal for us. We have to play 2 G5’s each year anyway, and USF has a little bit more interest than some of these other G5’s like Central Michigan, and you know they’re not going to accept a home only deal, they have little bit more status than that. So 2 for 1 works for me.

It’s way better than the 1 and 1’s we did for programs that are inferior to USF, like Toledo, Arkansas State, and even Appalachian State. Those should never be 1 and 1’s, those should only be home dates. No away dates. No more of that.

Are we the only team, that has won a national title in the past 25 years, that has scheduled a 1 for 1 with Central Florida? Our game against them at their on-campus stadium is still their biggest crowd there all-time. Thank goodness we beat them both games.

This is frustrating to read.

Virtually all P5 schools play the same schedule. If you want a comparator, just look at Alabama’s schedule. I don’t know how many times I’ve posted this, but here goes:

The schedule follows a standard framework, which in the ACC (and SEC and others) is as follows:

• 8 conference games
• 2 G5 opponents
• 1 FCS opponent
• 1 OOC P5 opponent

So if you look at our 2019 schedule this year, you’ll see we play 2 G5 schools, FIU and Central Michigan, one FCS which is Bethune Cookman, and one P5 which is UFailure this year.

Check the schedule of other O5 conference teams, especially the SEC, and you’ll see the same pattern. Everyone more or less follows this.

To substitute another P5 for an FCS or a G5 adds nothing to your schedule other than greater risk. You don’t get extra credit. You don’t see Alabama doing it. You don’t see Clemson doing it. You don’t see Oklahoma doing it.

If you want to compete for championships, you’ve got to make a schedule that’s equivalent to other P5 powers. We are already doing that.

It’s fair if you want to say you want a greater marquee G5 opponent, or greater marquee FCS opponent, if such a thing as possible. But that’s really the only latitude you have. That is, if you want to be reasonable.

While mostly true outside the ACC, this isn't always the case within the ACC, particularly because of the Notre Dame scheduling obligations.

Clemson is regularly scheduling 2 Power 5 opponents OOC, including this season with Texas A&M and South Carolina. They have 2 Power 5 teams OOC 14 of the next 15 years, including the 6 years they have to play Notre Dame. Clemson has Georgia on their future schedule 5 times and LSU twice. Plus, the other ACC teams that have an SEC 5 rival they play every year (FSU, Louisville, Georgia Tech) get 2 Power 5 games non conference whenever they also have to play Notre Dame.

FSU has 2 Power 5 games OOC in 9 of the next 15 years, but 6 of those are Notre Dame.

Miami typically plays only one P5 OOC, and has 5 openings to play Power 5 teams in the next 15 years, none before 2026. 6 of the 11 Power 5 games we do have scheduled are against Notre Dame. 2 against Texas A&M, 2 against Michigan State. The only year we have 2 Power 5 OOC games scheduled is 2021 with Alabama and Michigan State.

Also, SEC and ACC are the only Power 5 that play 8 conference games. The rest play 9, so you'll never see them schedule 2 Power 5 OOC.

It’s a good deal for us. We have to play 2 G5’s each year anyway, and USF has a little bit more interest than some of these other G5’s like Central Michigan, and you know they’re not going to accept a home only deal, they have little bit more status than that. So 2 for 1 works for me.

It’s way better than the 1 and 1’s we did for programs that are inferior to USF, like Toledo, Arkansas State, and even Appalachian State. Those should never be 1 and 1’s, those should only be home dates. No away dates. No more of that.
Fvck ark state and everything and everyone associated with that program... for life.

Advertisement
While mostly true outside the ACC, this isn't always the case within the ACC, particularly because of the Notre Dame scheduling obligations.

Clemson is regularly scheduling 2 Power 5 opponents OOC, including this season with Texas A&M and South Carolina. They have 2 Power 5 teams OOC 14 of the next 15 years, including the 6 years they have to play Notre Dame. Clemson has Georgia on their future schedule 5 times and LSU twice. Plus, the other ACC teams that have an SEC 5 rival they play every year (FSU, Louisville, Georgia Tech) get 2 Power 5 games non conference whenever they also have to play Notre Dame.

FSU has 2 Power 5 games OOC in 9 of the next 15 years, but 6 of those are Notre Dame.

Miami typically plays only one P5 OOC, and has 5 openings to play Power 5 teams in the next 15 years, none before 2026. 6 of the 11 Power 5 games we do have scheduled are against Notre Dame. 2 against Texas A&M, 2 against Michigan State. The only year we have 2 Power 5 OOC games scheduled is 2021 with Alabama and Michigan State.

Also, SEC and ACC are the only Power 5 that play 8 conference games. The rest play 9, so you'll never see them schedule 2 Power 5 OOC.

There are exceptions, even for Miami, but the framework I put out is used the vast majority of the time.

You’re right about Clemson, they are a special case because they have to play an OOC rival, USCe, every year. That’s just the luck of the draw. Our in-state rival, FSU, is in-conference and counts towards our 8 game ACC schedule.

As far as FSU, they have to play Florida every year, so that makes a difference.

I would gladly play 2 P5 OOC games out of conference every year, if the coward turds would agree to play us every year.

Advertisement
Back