USC grad transfer OT Bradley hears from Lashlee, talks Canes

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With spots running out on the Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 roster, the UM staff is starting to hone-in on a position they know needs to be addressed the most. After signing only two players in the early signing period on the offensive line, it’s clear that one spot is likely to go to an O-Lineman. That’s why, not long after his hiring, new OC/QB coach Rhett Lashlee reached out to grad transfer OT Clayton Bradley, who has spent the past 4 seasons at USC.

“After I decided to transfer, I just started getting messages from either OC’s, O-Line coaches, or player personnel guys. Coach Lashlee actually reached out and was asking me how everything was going,” Bradley said. “I was telling him my situation and sent him my highlight tape I just made. I am waiting for further information regarding spots available. I know there is a few moving parts with the new O-Line coach and coach Lashlee just getting hired, so I’m definitely not rushing anything.”

Bradley played in 20 games with 3 starts at tackle for the Trojans, but back injuries derailed parts of his sophomore and junior campaigns. Bradley says he is fully healed now and graduated from school in the winter, but he is still taking classes this spring at Southern Cal to add an extra minor to his resume while he waits to enroll at a new school this summer. That school could be Miami, a place Bradley has family ties to and somewhere he says he was in contact with when he was a 4-star recruit in the class of 2015 at Sevite High in California.

“In my high school recruiting, I was interested in Miami. I’ve had family members go to the school, not for football, but just for academics, so I know a little bit about them,” Bradley said. “I love Miami’s culture, I love the rivalries – Notre Dame, FSU – just the tradition behind the school. We had a transfer from SC go to Miami, Bubba Bolden, so I’ve seen him transition there and I know there’s an opportunity there. Wherever there’s opportunity for me, it’s always a good fit, especially for a grad transfer with one year looking for a school.”

How is Bradley’s relationship with Bolden?

“I talk to him here and there, and he’s been back [at USC] before,” Bradley said. “I did see that he got injured so hopefully he’s healing well. I probably got to reach out to him soon.”

As for other schools involved with Bradley right now, he says he’s already taken meetings with coaches from Kansas State and Boise State, who have stressed their need to add experience to their OL room.

“We sat down, talked about depth chart and how the program was being run,” Bradley said of his meetings with KSU and BSU. “So that was good to sit down and be able to talk about that. There was no rush on a commitment, just honesty about what their needs were. Some coaches want me to help take on a developmental role with the young players in the O-Line room, have them hear from someone that has gone through the process and can show them how things are done.

“I’m just looking for the right fit when it comes to situations actually in the O-Line room and not so much the school as a whole. So I’m just taking the process slow and I’m trying to weigh the best options to play my final season.”

Being a recruit again has it’s pro’s and con’s, however, Bradley said that there’s going to be differences on how he handles things going through the process a second time to find where he can make the best impact in his final season.

“I’m looking for the opportunity in the O-Line room. I’ve obviously always been ready for competition, I’ll never back down from that,” Bradley said. “So I’m just looking for a place that needs and wants me instead of going somewhere for the whole college experience. My undergrad was at SC, I had a great time - I got film, I got reps, I learned a lot. But right now, it’s mostly about getting on the field on Saturday’s and competing for a spot at the next level.

“My first time around, I committed to SC very early, I didn’t take official visits to other schools. So I just think taking it slow, making sure the fit’s right, and making sure the situation I’m going into is the best for me personally is the better approach.”

Currently, Bradley is staying in shape working out, and he comfortable playing at his present size.

“I’m around 310, 305 pounds, I fluctuate between the two, and I’m at 6’5” and 3 quarters. That’s what I like to play at,” Bradley said. “Some schools have asked if I’d be open to gaining some weight and making the transition to guard, but I’d prefer to stay where I am (at tackle) and stay around 310.”

With a current mid-summer enrollment deadline, Bradley says he’ll take his time in picking a school, but also recognizes he could be forced to move up his timeline.

“The schools I’ve talked to have mostly told me there is a late May, early June timeframe to get into the program,” Bradleys said. “I’m in no rush to make a decision right now, but I know spots could get tight at certain schools, so if that’s the case, I’ll have no problem speeding things up if it’s somewhere I really want to go. I just made my highlight tape, so I sent that to a few schools. Once I figure out who’s really interested, I’ll sit down and make a decision.”

Ultimately, could Bradley see himself at UM in 2020?

“It would definitely be an honor to go to Miami. Miami is a great school and I would be honored to receive an opportunity to help this team next season.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
With spots running out on the Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 roster, the UM staff is starting to hone-in on a position they know needs to be addressed the most. After signing only two players in the early signing period on the offensive line, it’s clear that one spot is likely to go to an O-Lineman. That’s why, not long after his hiring, new OC/QB coach Rhett Lashlee reached out to grad transfer OT Clayton Bradley, who has spent the past 4 seasons at USC.

“After I decided to transfer, I just started getting messages from either OC’s, O-Line coaches, or player personnel guys. Coach Lashlee actually reached out and was asking me how everything was going,” Bradley said. “I was telling him my situation and sent him my highlight tape I just made. I am waiting for further information regarding spots available. I know there is a few moving parts with the new O-Line coach and coach Lashlee just getting hired, so I’m definitely not rushing anything.”

Bradley played in 20 games with 3 starts at tackle for the Trojans, but back injuries derailed parts of his sophomore and junior campaigns. Bradley says he is fully healed now and graduated from school in the winter, but he is still taking classes this spring at Southern Cal to add an extra minor to his resume while he waits to enroll at a new school this summer. That school could be Miami, a place Bradley has family ties to and somewhere he says he was in contact with when he was a 4-star recruit in the class of 2015 at Sevite High in California.

“In my high school recruiting, I was interested in Miami. I’ve had family members go to the school, not for football, but just for academics, so I know a little bit about them,” Bradley said. “I love Miami’s culture, I love the rivalries – Notre Dame, FSU – just the tradition behind the school. We had a transfer from SC go to Miami, Bubba Bolden, so I’ve seen him transition there and I know there’s an opportunity there. Wherever there’s opportunity for me, it’s always a good fit, especially for a grad transfer with one year looking for a school.”

How is Bradley’s relationship with Bolden?

“I talk to him here and there, and he’s been back [at USC] before,” Bradley said. “I did see that he got injured so hopefully he’s healing well. I probably got to reach out to him soon.”

As for other schools involved with Bradley right now, he says he’s already taken meetings with coaches from Kansas State and Boise State, who have stressed their need to add experience to their OL room.

“We sat down, talked about depth chart and how the program was being run,” Bradley said of his meetings with KSU and BSU. “So that was good to sit down and be able to talk about that. There was no rush on a commitment, just honesty about what their needs were. Some coaches want me to help take on a developmental role with the young players in the O-Line room, have them hear from someone that has gone through the process and can show them how things are done.

“I’m just looking for the right fit when it comes to situations actually in the O-Line room and not so much the school as a whole. So I’m just taking the process slow and I’m trying to weigh the best options to play my final season.”

Being a recruit again has it’s pro’s and con’s, however, Bradley said that there’s going to be differences on how he handles things going through the process a second time to find where he can make the best impact in his final season.

“I’m looking for the opportunity in the O-Line room. I’ve obviously always been ready for competition, I’ll never back down from that,” Bradley said. “So I’m just looking for a place that needs and wants me instead of going somewhere for the whole college experience. My undergrad was at SC, I had a great time - I got film, I got reps, I learned a lot. But right now, it’s mostly about getting on the field on Saturday’s and competing for a spot at the next level.

“My first time around, I committed to SC very early, I didn’t take official visits to other schools. So I just think taking it slow, making sure the fit’s right, and making sure the situation I’m going into is the best for me personally is the better approach.”

Currently, Bradley is staying in shape working out, and he comfortable playing at his present size.

“I’m around 310, 305 pounds, I fluctuate between the two, and I’m at 6’5” and 3 quarters. That’s what I like to play at,” Bradley said. “Some schools have asked if I’d be open to gaining some weight and making the transition to guard, but I’d prefer to stay where I am (at tackle) and stay around 310.”

With a current mid-summer enrollment deadline, Bradley says he’ll take his time in picking a school, but also recognizes he could be forced to move up his timeline.

“The schools I’ve talked to have mostly told me there is a late May, early June timeframe to get into the program,” Bradleys said. “I’m in no rush to make a decision right now, but I know spots could get tight at certain schools, so if that’s the case, I’ll have no problem speeding things up if it’s somewhere I really want to go. I just made my highlight tape, so I sent that to a few schools. Once I figure out who’s really interested, I’ll sit down and make a decision.”

Ultimately, could Bradley see himself at UM in 2020?

“It would definitely be an honor to go to Miami. Miami is a great school and I would be honored to receive an opportunity to help this team next season.”
Stefan how many scholly spots do we have left?

They're just sending out feelers for a bunch since most of these kids will be May grad transfers. Also, gives coaches a better idea as to true need after spring ball.

Not knocking your post, but I seriously doubt that we (Miami) needs to wait until after spring ball to assess our true needs on the OL.

In the immortal near-words of (future Senator) John Blutarsky, "We need the du(d)es..."

Advertisement
Not knocking your post, but I seriously doubt that we (Miami) needs to wait until after spring ball to assess our true needs on the OL.

In the immortal near-words of (future Senator) John Blutarsky, "We need the du(d)es..."

YEah I get it, we need dudes, but I sense Justice is a creative thinker and wants to see who is better than they showed last year due to an ill fitting blocking scheme. You can look real crappy in one scheme and look good in another.

Advertisement
Advertisement
One’s name rhymes with Bi Deon Sherbert.
Didn't want to single specific people out...but, this is a pretty lackluster 2 year haul from 2017 and 2018:
OC: Gaynor (RS Jr.)
OG: Donaldson (Sr.), Dykstra (RS Jr.), Campbell (RS So.), Reed (RS So.)
OT: Scaife (Jr.), Herbert (RS Jr.), Hillery (RS Jr.)

Other than Scaife, Donaldson, and Gaynor, the rest have combined for like 2 starts, and Campbell has both.

Didn't want to single specific people out...but, this is a pretty lackluster 2 year haul from 2017 and 2018:

Other than Scaife, Donaldson, and Gaynor, the rest have combined for like 2 starts, and Campbell has both.
Super sketchy....

Campbell flashed a bit towards the end of the year. I aint giving up yet on him. I'm pretty much done with Hillery and Herbert coming out of the spring...they will top off as depth 2nd teamers..with if we land 2 grad transfers pushing them down

Advertisement
Back