USA Today chimes in

Advertisement
2f1dadfc419823d7a9dcd4a8303f26df4b8a4dddbfea3507b0739112a774e3e9.jpg

Advertisement
A little too kind to Golden. Raises good questions about UM's commitment to football. A campus stadium is probably out of the question, but there is no reason why an elite college (I seriously question that label for UM, but that's a thread for another site) can't have a winning team.

There's no excuse for losing to two terrible teams in year four. GT, FSU Nebraska, and even slightly Lville I can understand. But UVA and Pitt? No excuse.

But it's also true that nobody has been more handicapped by his circumstances than Golden, who spent his first three years on the job trying to manage a massive cloud of NCAA sanctions hanging overhead that killed Miami's ability to recruit on anything close to a level playing field.

Bull****. We have out recruited every ACC opponent and most OOC opponents the past five years except FSU (and sometimes Clemson).

People staying at mid-tier hotels across the country are going to feel our pain this morning! It'll be the talk of every dude hitting up the free continental breakfast at The Holiday Inn!

Advertisement
People staying at mid-tier hotels across the country are going to feel our pain this morning! It'll be the talk of every dude hitting up the free continental breakfast at The Holiday Inn!

this is the funniest thing i have read all day -- kudos man!

Despite every one of these articles being right, I'm still having a hard time dealing with the reality of them.

Advertisement
But it's also true that nobody has been more handicapped by his circumstances than Golden, who spent his first three years on the job trying to manage a massive cloud of NCAA sanctions hanging overhead that killed Miami's ability to recruit on anything close to a level playing field.

Bull****. We have out recruited every ACC opponent and most OOC opponents the past five years except FSU (and sometimes Clemson).

Forget the freaking cloud! If you look at the product on the field and judge this team just on their performances, you can see they are not well coached. Folden and Dino could have the '92 Cowboys and they would still coach them to 7-5, or 8-4!

If we didn't play Ark St and FAMU, we would have 4 wins on the season. F a cloud, the cloud IS Golden. It's unbelievable how many excuses this guy gets. No one can deny our talent has been absurdly better than ANYONE else in the ENTIRE conference outside of FSU and maybe Clemson. We have the 3rd most draftable guys in the...wait for it....ENTIRE NCAA FBS!! Bull **** about Golden being dealt a bad hand taking this job. Year 1, OK...maybe I can roll with that excuse. Year 2, possibly, but the team is stacking. Year 3, no more "cloud" and we still collapse at the end of the season...BUT, there's building blocks....allegedly. Year 4???? We literally took 5 steps back. How?? How is this the mark of a good leader? Usually when clouds leave, fresh air, sunshine is exposed; our "cloud" leaves and dense smog comes in right afterwards? TF?!! I will not support these Canes while this guy is here, plain and simple.

Advertisement

This is the type of lazy reporting that kills me.

Yes the cloud was a hindrance and yes we missed out on some elite guys because of it, but there's still PLENTY of talent to avoid a LAST PLACE FINISH in the worst Power 5 division. The proof is in the pudding: recruiting rankings, NFL draft grades, and even statistical output.

Golden didn't fail to accumulate talent. He failed at motivating it and putting it in the best position to succeed.

And if Miami keeps Al Golden after a 6-6 season, it will be a message to all the whiny NFL alums and Internet fans who don't bother to show up at the games: Deal with it or do something to change it.

Hey, I made USA Today!

Advertisement
Back