USA Today: Canes top misery index

I kind of think the same. There was no statement of confidence in Baker afterwards.

Should there be an absolute defensive dominance I can see it being chalked up to Covid, but the fundamental problems are there. I just hope he sees it and corrects.
It’s hard to know internally how to apportion blame for the UNC debacle, we don’t know if earlier in the week Diaz metaphorically said to Baker “here you take the ball and run with it“ but what is certain is that they had ineffective and/or non-existent adjustments.

Even if Manny is as technically to blame as Baker, you don’t fire yourself, so it doesn’t leave him much choice.

There are other issues that were exposed in that game, but I just don’t feel like getting into those now. Just in my opinion the way for Manny to go is to have a head coach structure like Dabo, or Saban, a lot of head coaches, where your OC and the DC are the guys that run the offense and the defense, obviously with your supervision and input. No guarantee it makes my better coach, but I do guarantee it would give him a greater chance to be a better coach if that’s in the cards for him.

But at the end of the day it’s his ***, he is going to make the decision which he thinks will keep him employed. I know what I think that should be, but I wonder what he thinks it should be.

Advertisement
I kind of think the same. There was no statement of confidence in Baker afterwards.

Should there be an absolute defensive dominance I can see it being chalked up to Covid, but the fundamental problems are there. I just hope he sees it and corrects.
True, I would have loved to hear a speech or anything confident about almost 700 plus yards rushing and no adjustments for four quarters.

Very good point , with this possibly being the case maybe behind the scene search has begun .

Is this making a mountain out of a mole hill? The article states the Misery Index is a weekly measurement of knee-jerk reactions. Before we think the sky is falling and the world is ending, shouldn't we wait to see what changes Manny makes in the offseason? He made the changes need on offense and in using the portal last year. Let's see if he does the same for the defense in this offseason.

Advertisement
“For that reason, Miami takes No. 1 in the final Misery Index of the regular season, a weekly measurement of KNEE-JERK REACTIONS”
That mutton head (love his take on Michigan winning an NC by this year) only needed to check into CIS weey to figure that out.

Lol. I kinda feel sorry for Baker. I kinda feel sorry for Rumph. Scape goats have ruined programs for years. U know the beauty about being a fan & not a Homer? U get to see & cut through the bull chit. I stopped being a Homer around 2014.

Ppl keep saying Bakers defense sucks; yet Manny hired Baker b/c he said he wanted continuity of his defense, and Baker was his protege. Maybe b/c of social media, or media in general, ppl are so fixated in the now, that they forget about yesterday. Yesterday told me that when Manny was DC, any team that had any sort of run game ran the ball down our throats. Yesterday told me, any team that had any sort of pass game, peppered our DBs. Yesterday told me that nothing has changed from Manny to Baker, except the name as the DC. Yet, Baker makes a great scape goat.

“Baker’s” defense looks absolutely outstanding against UVA, Duke, Pitt, G5’s, and FCS. But for some reason, inexplicably, we get ran through by teams w/ winning records. That’s interesting, b/c outside of that two game stretch of ND & VT in 2017, Manny’s defense looked the exact same way.

But, let’s continue to use the scape goats. The here & now is much more palatable, than the 3 yrs that proceeded Baker. What did the article say; smoke & mirrors was it? Let’s not act the guy (Diaz) wasn’t fired from TX for the same chit.

Advertisement
Lol. I kinda feel sorry for Baker. I kinda feel sorry for Rumph. Scape goats have ruined programs for years. U know the beauty about being a fan & not a Homer? U get to see & cut through the bull chit. I stopped being a Homer around 2014.

Ppl keep saying Bakers defense sucks; yet Manny hired Baker b/c he said he wanted continuity of his defense, and Baker was his protege. Maybe b/c of social media, or media in general, ppl are so fixated in the now, that they forget about yesterday. Yesterday told me that when Manny was DC, any team that had any sort of run game ran the ball down our throats. Yesterday told me, any team that had any sort of pass game, peppered our DBs. Yesterday told me that nothing has changed from Manny to Baker, except the name as the DC. Yet, Baker makes a great scape goat.

“Baker’s” defense looks absolutely outstanding against UVA, Duke, Pitt, G5’s, and FCS. But for some reason, inexplicably, we get ran through by teams w/ winning records. That’s interesting, b/c outside of that two game stretch of ND & VT in 2017, Manny’s defense looked the exact same way.

But, let’s continue to use the scape goats. The here & now is much more palatable, than the 3 yrs that proceeded Baker. What did the article say; smoke & mirrors was it? Let’s not act the guy (Diaz) wasn’t fired from TX for the same chit.
The thing is whether a new DC will be running his own defense or running Manny's. Scapegoat or not, Baker isn't going to do anything different, but just maybe a new guy will be given that latitude.

The lesson is tha there's a significant problem with the defense. We won't know if that lesson is learned unles changes are made which won't take place until the offseason.
There’s been a problem with the defense since last year, but the main problem is it takes a historic beating for the staff, admin and most fans to see that changes need to be made. As Ive said before, I doubt manny plays all his “fire the staff as scapegoats” cards in his first two years. He needs something in his pocket for next year, because next year will NOt be pretty, especially if king leaves and we don’t get lucky in the transfer portal again

The thing is whether a new DC will be running his own defense or running Manny's. Scapegoat or not, Baker isn't going to do anything different, but just maybe a new guy will be given that latitude.

This, I agree w. We need a new philosophy. We need a philosophy that caters to what we have. No more square pegs in round holes. We also need more plus athletes WITH instincts. Not sure why we always go for either or.

To be fair, the Crocs are probably up there in the misery index, too. They thought they had a Heisman and a possible playoff berth in front of them. Then they got beat by half a team in their own house.
I was thinking FSU. ****, they lost to US by 42.

Advertisement
I’m not saying I couldn’t disagree more, but this thing is worlds bigger than defensive scheme/Baker/Rumph.

it’s NOT just the defense. A better coached team would’ve returned punches with UNC. They couldn’t. They’re not trained to. Thankfully, King found his touch, and the receivers their hands in the latter portion of the season, or the season would have been worse. It’s not just the OL - or the RB’s for that matter. The entire team/culture/coaching was exposed. Again.

New classes of recruits won’t change it. Great speeches, guest speakers, mantras…won’t change it. Miami needs to put the work in and they’re not doing it. Penalties, missed assignments, flat-out being beaten at the point of attack … there’s not a single job that‘s sacred.

If you don’t know what real work is all works seems hard, like it’s a strain. They truly believe they’re working hard, and that’s the problem.

Diaz is looking at all the data but doesn’t know the relevant data points; the points of inflection; the tipping point from mediocre to good.

Or a third option could be that Baker stays and he and Manny tweak the current scheme. And if Banda leaves, it may be even more likely Baker stays.

Advertisement
3/4 of the posters here thought we were going to smoke UNC. Enough said.
UNC has a proven coach who knew Mandy was garbage. We were never going to win that game. It was penciled in as a loss before the season ever started. Mandy’s never beating Mack Brown...ever. Next year will be the same.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back