USA Today: Canes top misery index

ben

Senior
Premium

Sometimes, teams that aren’t great can have great seasons. But it’s hard to live a lie for 10 games.

Heading into Saturday’s regular-season finale, Miami (Fla.) was on the verge of pulling off one of the great smoke-and-mirror jobs in recent memory.

At 8-1 and ranked No. 10 by the College Football Playoff selection committee, Miami’s record looked impressive enough on the surface to lock up a spot in a New Year’s Six bowl game. Even though there wasn’t much substance underneath — the Canes’ best win was 44-41 against N.C. State? — all they had to do was beat North Carolina to slide into the Orange Bowl.

That turned out to be a bit complicated. In fact, at no point Saturday in the Tar Heels’ 62-26 win did it appear as though the Hurricanes were in the same class as UNC.

“The opening statement is we got our *** kicked,” Miami coach Manny Diaz said in his postgame news conference. “Humiliating performance.”

How humiliating? Miami gave up 778 yards, the worst defensive performance in program history. And there was really nothing more to it than that. The Hurricanes couldn’t stop anything North Carolina did and were exposed as a team not nearly as good as its record.

Here at the Misery Index, we don’t think Miami fans ever for a second thought the Hurricanes were truly “back” this season. But they didn’t expect a blowout of this magnitude with so much on the line, a performance that blew a hole in the credibility Diaz has built in his second year.

For that reason, Miami takes No. 1 in the final Misery Index of the regular season, a weekly measurement of knee-jerk reactions based on what each fan base just watched.

Advertisement
Advertisement
To be fair, the Crocs are probably up there in the misery index, too. They thought they had a Heisman and a possible playoff berth in front of them. Then they got beat by half a team in their own house.

a sammich with some week-old tainted pork should get that going !

"I'm afraid she's startin' to turn"
1607978688900.png

To be fair, the Crocs are probably up there in the misery index, too. They thought they had a Heisman and a possible playoff berth in front of them. Then they got beat by half a team in their own house.
Well, there is that to make me feel a bit better after WE GOT OUR ****S KICKED IN BY UNC! Thanks for reminding me, OP.

Advertisement
I just want to add how close Miami was to being SMU-esque in defensive incompetence.

Remember, the Mustang's FIRST SEASON POST 2-YR DEATH PENALTY going against Andre Ware's Cougars. 👇👇

FFS, I know French Le Armie du Republique units who are capable of putting up more resistance.

Advertisement
The big question is whether the lesson was learned.

And before any mopes respond, we won't know until the offseason.
What exactly is the lesson? How will the off-season tell us if we can stop a running play when we know it’s coming? Before this game happened, most of our fans thought we could hang with bama if king comes back. Some still do.

What exactly is the lesson? How will the off-season tell us if we can stop a running play when we know it’s coming? Before this game happened, most of our fans thought we could hang with bama if king comes back. Some still do.

There’s only maybe 3-4 teams that can hang with Bama nationwide. What’s your point?

Advertisement
The lesson is tha there's a significant problem with the defense. We won't know if that lesson is learned unles changes are made which won't take place until the offseason.

The lesson is tha there's a significant problem with the defense. We won't know if that lesson is learned unles changes are made which won't take place until the offseason.

I said in another post, and it’s just a guess, just a gut feeling, that Baker is gone after the bowl game. Not necessarily immediately after, but at some point relatively soon thereafter. Just a guess, a gut feeling.

The jury is still out on Manny as a coach in training, I can’t say with any confidence he’ll ever develop into anything like other coaches have, but I do know he’s smart and he wants to stay employed more than just one more year.

What will be funny is if something weird happens like we throttle the OSU offense, although not likely, like hold them scoreless or to few points and few yards. It’s football, and sometimes unlikely things happen

CiS might need to hit the portal for some better fans.
I said in another post, and it’s just a guess, just a gut feeling, that Baker is gone after the bowl game. Not necessarily immediately after, but at some point relatively soon thereafter. Just a guess, a gut feeling.

The jury is still out on Manny as a coach in training, I can’t say with any confidence he’ll ever develop into anything like other coaches have, but I do know he’s smart and he wants to stay employed more than just one more year.

What will be funny is if something weird happens like we throttle the OSU offense, although not likely, like hold them scoreless or to few points and few yards. It’s football, and sometimes unlikely things happen
CiS might need to hit the portal for some better fans.
3/4 of the posters here thought we were going to smoke UNC. Enough said.

I kind of think the same. There was no statement of confidence in Baker afterwards.

Should there be an absolute defensive dominance I can see it being chalked up to Covid, but the fundamental problems are there. I just hope he sees it and corrects.

Advertisement
Back