Urban Meyer on Miami Job

How the f*ck are schools not centrally located to florida gonna build their teams...THROUGH florida. Some of yall are just silly , dyslexic, or dont understand recruiting.

Every school in the nation recruits florida hard from div 1 to Niaa. They burn up their resources to recruit Florida. They put their best recruiters in FLORIDA....what dont you ninjas get??...

Then go on to post..." look Ohio State recruits Ohio".."bAMA RECRUITS aLABAMA" ..some of the dumbest sh*t i see posted on here over and over.

They only could "CHERRY PICK" as most schools have to recruit around their base locally. The only school you can lay claim to is UGA.....But even that is debunked as they PAY the most money for south florida kids yearly..them mfers drop BAGS...and they aint doing it up and down the Carolinas..lol They paying for unofficial visits.

Its tougher to build a strong foundation for a team through FLA players by out of state schools because EVERY ONE is here recruiting and you wont land them all.

Why does Bama put a bigger emphasis on LA and GA most years? They’re not in state. OU does great in Texas. That’s not in state. Texas and GA for sure supply as many or more impact players to title contenders at this point. Everyone that matters recruits in GA and Texas, too.

Y’all get so in your feelings when people criticize Florida high school football. It’s still one of the best states to find good players, but it’s by no means head and shoulders above GA, TX, LA, CA, etc... and the culture in Florida, particularly south Florida, makes recruiting there a nightmare. That’s why elite teams only come for elite players. That’s part of what Urban is speaking too.

It takes an elite and special coach to navigate Florida and the type of athletes there. That’s why the big 3 have been stuck in the dark ages lately.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Would be interesting (to me) to know how it is broken down by South Florida vs. non-South Florida and by position. Are South Florida recruits disproportionately skill positions? Is South Florida relatively weak in producing OLs, as I think?
Looks that way to me so I gave you a (y)… don't forget to reciprocate.

I would say it's a combo.

Add in that they're all mercenaries from a young age, they don't have that all in attitude. **** gets tough or a better perceived opportunity presents itself, they bounce.

A lot of people act like theyre supposed to be loyal to some school or area. People generally go where they feel like they have the best opportunity

You sound like the miss informed posters in this thread who don’t actually know anything about the HS football scene.

You watch the canes and think because they are poorly coach and poorly developed that it’s a sign of the kids.

The canes don’t reflect HS ball down here.
Sorry m y friend but those habits good or bad are developed in these kids since their peewee league days.each time a player moves up to the next level he has to unlearn those habits cause they can't get away with those habits.

Advertisement
Why does Bama put a bigger emphasis on LA and GA most years? They’re not in state. OU does great in Texas. That’s not in state. Texas and GA for sure supply as many or more impact players to title contenders at this point. Everyone that matters recruits in GA and Texas, too.

Y’all get so in your feelings when people criticize Florida high school football. It’s still one of the best states to find good players, but it’s by no means head and shoulders above GA, TX, LA, CA, etc... and the culture in Florida, particularly south Florida, makes recruiting there a nightmare. That’s why elite teams only come for elite players. That’s part of what Urban is speaking too.

It takes an elite and special coach to navigate Florida and the type of athletes there. That’s why the big 3 have been stuck in the dark ages lately.
Spot on, and evidenced by the CFP participates having only 3 FL players amongst them in their 2-deep. OSU has a whopping 2, Clemson 1, and OU and LSU have none!

These schools are winning big, developing players and putting them in the NFL draft left and right, and not even thinking twice about some **** Florida football or the myth of this deep pool of great FL players.

Last edited:

Start at 7:00

His reasoning for USC being an elite job is proximity to recruits yet he claims Miami is not. He says HS coaches are paid better in Ga and Tx but says nothing of Cal HS coaches. It just sounds to me like he is trying to get hired by USC.

this ninja Andrew would spout off about Georgia Southern soon enough. UGA has been worthless my whole life save for 1 game where they allowed a simple route to kill their hopes. Im not even gonna speak on GA TECH.

We are not recruiting 50-year-old players. The fact is we haven't won a National Championship since any of our recruits have been alive. In fact, none of our recruits will have memories of us winning a conference championship. We are a blip in college football history.

Actually, I would like to point out the quality of coaches that came out of Valdosta State in the 1990s.
- Dana Holgorsen
- Mike Leach
- Will Muschamp
- Kirby Smart

A lot of people act like theyre supposed to be loyal to some school or area. People generally go where they feel like they have the best opportunity

I agree, but winning teams also factor in huge as they tend to produce players for the next level at higher rates.

Locals though aren't even loyal to their area schools and friends they grew up with, so I don't expect loyalty to the local team. Last time we were good they had just been born.

Advertisement
Finally got to watch what Urban had to say. I thought he had good reasons for his assessment. I don't think it changes what we need to do to win. At the end of the day, we have to recruit South Florida players and develop them to win.

Start at 7:00

His reasoning for USC being an elite job is proximity to recruits yet he claims Miami is not. He says HS coaches are paid better in Ga and Tx but says nothing of Cal HS coaches. It just sounds to me like he is trying to get hired by USC.

Still negative recruiting Miami I see. Douche. Now having watched it, he was more smug than I thought.

Huh? His comment was about the local player pools at two championship programs. We are responding directly to that, with statistics.

Meanwhile, you are pontificating about evaluations and support staff which Meyer didn’t even touch upon and which nobody is arguing about.

Florida players don’t receive the best high school coaching. Everyone agrees with Meyer on that point.

But there is no evidence that negatively impacts your ability to win. Quite the opposite. The evidence shows that Florida programs win the most championships, Florida high schools produce the most pros and out-of-state coaches like Meyer spend tons of money to sign Florida players.

That’s the debate here. Does relying on Florida players inhibit your ability to win? The evidence is clear. It doesn’t.
No offense man, I love you like a brother, but you are starting to sound like dannyboy in these discussions. Any commentary around FL football that rubs you wrong vs your preferred narrative, you just repeat stuff and claim facts. I’m starting to believe you think that passes for logic and aren’t just trolling.

Football is complicated. CFB is complicated. Resources matter, plans matter, technology matters, culture matters, players matter, fit for scheme matters and yes, coaching matters. Rosters are 85 scholarships, ideally spread out across classes and position groups, plus walk ons. You would have everyone believe our rosters have been awesome becuase a few kids go to the nfl. Maybe, maybe not. Your ‘facts‘ don’t answer the question and you consistently refuse to even acknowledge are relevant considerations other than a few nfl kids to look at. You claim titles won by FL teams proves something. But those teams had some legendary coaches and HOF players. The ‘facts‘ also show that we don’t win without great coaches (save one title under Coker won by the GOAT cfb team). And we do not seem to have HOF players these days. Why? Bad luck?

In your narrative, it’s just bad luck we have had awful coaches, and a decent coach would naturally get everything right at UM. Yet we hire incompetents. The same admin that has no idea what the program needs, or what type of coach it needs, or how to evaluate coaches, also hires those coaches and manages support and resources. There are a lot of things we should do better or differently. Yes, we need better coaching. MUCH better, in my view. That is part of it. It ain’t the only thing.

And fwiw, you say there is no evidence that less well prepared players matter? That sounds crazy to me. The evidence had been all over our results. Unless you can clone JJ or rebuild Butch’s roster, we better start to take more seriously a whole lot of the things needed to deliver a professional product in cfb.

You got to let go of the claim it’s just bad luck and only bad coaching. It’s that, and other things. And fixing it ain’t easy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Finally got to watch what Urban had to say. I thought he had good reasons for his assessment. I don't think it changes what we need to do to win. At the end of the day, we have to recruit South Florida players and develop them to win.
Yep.

Urban Meyer’s best team ever started 14 Florida players, including his QB and his three best OL.

Consistently good teams need coaching and players. The problem with our last four head coaches is that they were bad coaches. That’s why they aren’t head coaches anymore. Their players are still getting paid to play.
Not one person anywhere misunderstands that we have had bad coaches.

I wish you’d wonder a bit more as to why we have had them. What could we be doing better, or differently?

If the state of Florida has deep and near infinite pool of elite talent walking around from year to year, as many of you posit, what difference does it make to lose 4-5 elite guys from that pool (spread out over 4-5 out of state teams)? On one hand you can’t talk about how deep and talented the state of Florida is, and other the other cry about a mere fraction of talent getting cherry picked. You can’t have it both ways.

The only way the cherry picking argument (only a handful of guys in play) works and makes a dent into Miami recruiting is if the talent in Florida isn’t as talented or deep as you all say.

In fact, the cherry-picking has been happening for 35 years.

The difference is the training, coaching, and just as important, the talent level in Florida is not as diverse as other talent laden states (Carolinas, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Cali, Virginia, DC Metro, Ohio Valley). Those states gives you the full range of talents: Big/Tall fast WRs, TEs, trench warfare (OL/DL studs), QBs, DBs, RBs, linebackers and the once in a generation athletic freaks.

Florida “mostly” gives you a bunch of fast, skinny guys. What did Mark Richt say his first day meeting the team: “Where are the big dudes”?
I disagree with your logic. You have to start with evaluations. Pool size is irrelevant if you pick poorly. A good evaluator with a small pool will beat a bad evaluator with a big pool all day every day. None of the major porgrams are fishing in a bathtub, in any case. Arguably, the depth of talent in FL is a detriment to UM unless we get our evals and resources right. Because it attracts a bunch of negatives. Competitors. Hangers on. It makes recruiting harder, not easier.

Secondly, cherry picking does matter, especially if the very best players are better identified these days, which they are because of camps and technology. Because at the end of the day, we win with top talent. Nfl bound talent. There aren’t that many top 2 round picks in florida each year. We need to get our share if we want to be a top program.

Also, there are no positions save maybe QB where FL hasn’t produced consistently over the years. It’s shallower at OL, but still produces top kids. But if we don’t sign them, then that doesn’t matter so much.

We watch these Miami HS teams w loads of talent and athletes go to Texas, Georgia, Cali, Ohio etc and lose games to lesser opponents due to coaching and undisciplined football.

Florida teams should never lose to teams from Nevada and Maryland Ohio.
Even when they do win they leave the game w 15 plus penalties and mostly score off explosive plays... like Miami Canes. This is what happens when you build a coaching staff full of friends from the neighborhood and not coaches who spent years doing building craft.
Lesser teams my ***. When Florida teams travel they generally play power houses.

Who do you think covers the travel expenses? These big-time out of state programs. They pay us to travel up there and play them.

I've played out of state 3 times in the two seasons that I've been at Deerfield.

*Beat 11-time Georgia state champion Buford High, who had a RB going to Texas, 3 OL going to SEC schools, one of the top QB's in the country and a $200,000 coaching staff.

*Lost to St. John's Prep, a powerhouse program from Maryland with D1 kids all over their roster.

*Beat back-to-back Louisiana state champion Zachary High 53-0.

What exactly are you talking about?
Florida teams don't travel to play mediocre out-of-state programs. Mediocre programs can't afford to cover our travel expenses.

Advertisement
Back