Urban Meyer on Miami Job

Advertisement
Just an example. The Miami Hurricanes and the USC Trojans have both produced NC winning coaches, SUPER BOWL winning coaches, and players to compliment all of the above.

What other “Great Job” has done that? We’ve won 5 ships with 4 different coaches. One was a first time HC by the name of Larry Coker. The Miami job is a great job. BEST back yard in the country. We just need the right coach.
What are you talking about? The job didn’t produce the coach. The coach produced the results that you now imagine to somehow be caused by the job. Like UM is responsible for what JJ did for the Cowboys. We were LUCKY to have him.

What are you talking about? The job didn’t produce the coach. The coach produced the results that you now imagine to somehow be caused by the job. Like UM is responsible for what JJ did for the Cowboys. We were LUCKY to have him.

LOL. Ask Jimmy Pre Miami and post Miami. I’ll take his word for it.

Ask Dennis. Coker. Howard. Butch. Each one of them said the same thing.

I suppose you haven’t figured out that UF and FSU are in the same state - and haven’t accomplished the same things with Bobby, Steve, and Urban on their sideline.

Last edited:
It's an interesting viewpoint if true. Have Florida high school football programs lost ground to/fallen behind the high school football programs in other populated states around the country? The state of Florida won seven national championships from 1980 to 1999, but only four from 2000 to 2019.
my preferred verbage on that is 11 of the last 29 is basically Patriotsesque.

Advertisement
LOL. Ask Jimmy Pre Miami and post Miami. I’ll take his word for it.

Ask Dennis. Coker. Howard. Butch. Each one of them said the same thing.

I suppose you haven’t figured out that UF and FSU are in the same state - and haven’t accomplished the same things with Bobby, Steve, and Bobby on their sideline.
You sound like every delusional UM fan out there. What did we accomplish with Shannon, Golden or Richt?

Jimmy and Butch were the two best talent evaluators of their generation, bar none. We had both. Howard was a visionary and built it. Even Dennis, who was hired twice by the NFL and was running an air raid two generations ago, couldn’t sustain it.

Confirmation bias is a beeatch.

They have the dudes (and budget) to coach them though. If we’re not willing to spend on a quality staff then we’ll never be able to develop properly.

Thank you.

I didn’t see or hear Urb’s comment, so I’m not sure of the context, however Urb made a living here in Florida both as a coach at UF and OSU. Utah snatched up some So Fla kids that was this close to leading them to a CFP. UGA has been pretty cozy in Fl. Oregon is starting to peek its head over the fence to see what’s good w Fl athletes.

Yes; CA, TX, LA, and GA also have the CFB world poaching these areas, but regarding skilled athletes (WR, RB, LB, DB, S), schools stay in our back yard.

What’s the difference between us and them, though? We have had not nan-one staff that’s had the ability to develop here. Probably b/c since Butch left, we haven’t had not nan-one staff member looking to get poached by another program or the NFL. We gotta hella former staff that are hella unemployed or placed in some analytical position. Those who were once again employed were either terminated immediately thereafter or on the cusp of being terminated.

That’s the problem; we haven’t hired no body that know how to drive a mutha fckin stick shift around here. Everybody wanna drive automatics and Miami ain’t no domestic bytch.

You sound like every delusional UM fan out there. What did we accomplish with Shannon, Golden or Richt?

Jimmy and Butch were the two best talent evaluators of their generation, bar none. We had both. Howard was a visionary and built it. Even Dennis, who was hired twice by the NFL and was running an air raid two generations ago, couldn’t sustain it.

No bro, coaches come to Miami and they magically become great coaches

bro

What a load of bull**** that this fan base has spewed for decades. The fallacy that Miami doesn’t need a great coach to win has been proven false going on two decades now and people are still spouting that horse ****.

Advertisement
Maybe 2 things can be true:

Florida kids come in under-developed, and they are also more talented.

That’s why you have to do this crazy thing called “developing talent.”
More talented than who?

Florida is a bigger state than Alabama or Louisiana. Are FL kids more talented?

These discussions suck because people get parochial immediately. Anyone who played sports knows its the dog in the kid, and his abilities, not where he came from or the water he drank, that is the differentiator.

is it really hard to understand that he’s not saying that the players down here aren’t talented. He’s saying they are normally more raw, and need more time to develop and coached up compared to some other areas. Not one time did he say that south Florida isn’t Uber talented. Yes it’s a handful of players every year that walk on the field and are ready to play from day 1. But most kids need to be developed and we have sucked at that.

AND HE IS WRONG. THERE ARE NO PLAYERS IN THE COUNTRY MORE READY TO CONTRIBUTE OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL THAN SOUTH FLORIDA.
THE NINJA NEVER REDSHIRTS THEM WHEN HE GETS THEM LOL

You sound dumb AF. I noticed how you left off Coker.

Where was Jimmy before Miami? What was his record? The job made him. Jimmy says this himself, Einstein. Does that mean he was a **** coach before? No. Let’s not be stupid. He simply wouldn’t be where he is today had he gone to Texas. Again. JIMMY says this.... MIAMI is a great job.

Hiring a good coach for a good/great job with a phenomenal back yard does wonders for the coach. Ask Pete Carrol. What was he thought of before USC? Where was he? He was their 4th choice.

Where was Dennis before Miami?

You want to point out bum coaches at a great job as if that makes sense. Meanwhile - COACHES like Pete and Jimmy totally disagree with you. What did Butch forget how to evaluate? The Miami job propelled his career to new heights. Gave access to jobs he wouldn’t get anywhere else. BUTCH says this....

Dennis, Jimmy and. Butch ALL say Miami made their careers. But,,, you know better.

So, was Bama a **** job because Shula sucked? Did Saban go to Kentucky to compete for ships or Bama? Wait for it.

Advertisement
Is it a coincidence that Miami, FSU and UF suck while losing all of the top in-state players to Clemson, OSU, UGA and Bama? No, no it isn't.

Ñame all those talented Florida football players that’s filling up Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama’s roster?

Here are the starters from FL that make offense, defense and ST’s.

Alabama: 3
Ohio State: 2
Clemson: ZERO

Maybe, I’m just blind, but I’m failing to see all this all world Florida talent up and down these rosters. In fact, there are only a handful - a tiny fraction

Ñame all those talented Florida football players that’s filling up Clemson, Ohio State and Alabama’s roster?

Maybe, I’m just blind, but I’m failing to see all this all world Florida talent up and down these rosters. In fact, there are only a handful - a tiny fraction
Cherry picking this season in particular isn't really a strong point. We can name key contributors to star players on every NC championship team from about the last 5-6 years from Florida. We can also name multiple first round picks from Florida each year. This really isn't that hard to do.

How 'bout we just look at the NFL draft instead?

Advertisement
Cherry picking this season in particular isn't really a strong point. We can name key contributors to star players on every NC championship team from about the last 5-6 years from Florida. We can also name multiple first round picks from Florida each year. This really isn't that hard to do.

im not cherry picking at all. Florida is a big **** state...the one of the largest on the US, so of course there are going to be many players.

the state of Florida hasn’t been in national title contention in **** near a decade. Why? Other states have caught up, better coaching and training in other states.

the trends are clear when you look at the last 10 years. Florida football talent is in the downswing while other states are trending up and blowing past it! Other states are producing the big, game changing mega stars.

FL had got the Bosa Kids, Lamar, a couple running backs here or there and smattering of DBs/WR but that about it. You’re no longer seeing the earth shattering talent coming out of Florida. No, other state’s now wear that crown

Last edited:
I mean, I get what he's saying. He's not wrong about the coaching. But I would like to hear his explanation as to why our kids go to out-of-state schools and contribute from day one.

Bosa brothers.
Tyson Campbell.
Mullen brothers.
Cooper followed by Ridley followed by Jeudy.
Surtain.
Fabian Moreau.
Bush (actually all 3 Flanagan kids at Michigan played early)
Sony Michel.
Isaiah McKenzie.
Shaun Shivers.
Juwan Dowels.
Riley Ridley.
Aaron Robinson.
Deandre Baker.

I can go on and on.
All these kids stepped on to out-of-state campuses and started or contributed early...and it's not because of the 2 months of college coaching they got before the season started.

Our kids down here work their a$$es off. There literally is no off season. They're already doing 7-on-7 stuff. You'd be hard-pressed to find another area in the country that develops WR's and DB's like South Florida does. Our kids COMPETE like no other. They're dogs.

Is the coaching OVERALL better in other areas of the country? Absolutely. But when one state pays coaches a $2000 stipend and the other pays coaches $10k-$12k plus a cozy faculty position, what do you expect? (we won't even talk about the pay for Head Coaches) Shoot, a lot of coaches in FLA are doing it for free.

im not cherry picking at all. Florida is a big **** state...the one of the largest on the US, so of course there are going to be many players.

the state of Florida hasn’t been in national title contention in **** near a decade. Why? Other states have caught up, better coaching and training in other states.

the trends are clear when you look at the last 10 years. Florida football talent is in the downswing while other states are trending up and blowing past it! Other states are producing the big, game changing mega stars.

FL had got the Bosa Kids, a couple running backs here or there and smattering of DBs/WR but that about it. You’re no longer seeing the earth shattering talent coming out of Florida. No, other state’s now wear that crown
LOL. This couldn't be further from the truth. Watch the NFL draft, man.

No, it's the incompetence of coaching staffs at each of the 3 big universities. The talent is still being drafted in the first round ahead of all other states. SFLA putting out more NFL prospects than any other city/metro area. It's clear as ever.

Advertisement
Back