Upon Further Review- Virginia

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mccloud and Jennings are constantly looking like they’re planning their next dance move for a tackle after 15 yards instead of diagnosing the play

Last year's team with King, Lashlee, Ray Lewis, and Warren Sapp would kill everyone. Imagine the stats!
Since you are using time travel, I'll use the portal to go with it. Let's get Dan Marino, Jerry Rice, Randy Moss and Barry Sanders as well. Pretty sure I can come up with a 2 deep OL that would get the job done. Just imagine.... Makes me want to sing some John Lennon, replacing 3/4 of the lyrics with imaginary football scenarios.

Teams that have solid ol and do always give us trouble. BC, Virginia, and Pitt. We usually handle these teams when we have good skill position players

Advertisement
Great as always @Lance Roffers. Although I'd say I both love and hate your breakdowns at the same time (after reading all the details of our latest defensive fck-ups).

@Lance Roffers What do you see being the issue with the pass rush or lack thereof?

Some of it is the offense is trying to get the ball out quick and attack the edges of our defense (flats, swing passes). A large portion of it is our rushers tend to lack a plan and rely on a speed rush. Teams are pushing our rushers behind the QB often this year. Experienced OL teams have a lot of success against our rushers.

Bill Belichick said it best when he said, "the worst place to be on a football field is two yards behind the QB."

Some of it is the offense is trying to get the ball out quick and attack the edges of our defense (flats, swing passes). A large portion of it is our rushers tend to lack a plan and rely on a speed rush. Teams are pushing our rushers behind the QB often this year. Experienced OL teams have a lot of success against our rushers.

Bill Belichick said it best when he said, "the worst place to be on a football field is two yards behind the QB."

So what's the solution? A different defensive scheme?

Carter gets ejected for targeting at the end. At some point Carter has to stop lowering his head or the coaches have to stop playing him.

I was screaming this at the TV after it happened. At this point, every ACC crew will come in looking for him to lower his head. And he makes it easy for them because he also doesn't follow through on the tackle. He throws his shoulder which makes it look like he's trying to knock them out.

He can still be violent if he just shoots his arms around every tackle and keeps his helmet pinned back against his shoulder pads. That way there's no way he can get a legit targeting penalty because he won't be using "forcible contact" (which really just equates to using your forearm) and he'll be "removing the head" (which is simply using your facemask instead of the top of your helmet).

If the coaches can't get him to do that, get someone else ready to play because even if you do keep trotting him out there, he'll be gone by the end of the first quarter anyway.

Advertisement
So what's the solution? A different defensive scheme?
As with most things, there is some nuance to the answer. Our DT's are getting handled too often, or pushed to the sides. Wide rushers need strong DT's who get pressure up-the-middle to prevent the QB from stepping up into the pocket (thus making outside rushers two yards behind the QB).

Our pressure packages are not getting home with the same frequency as last year and we are actually playing more straight up and blitzing less often.

The DE's themselves are not winning with the same frequency that Rousseau and Garvin did last year. In actuality, Roche is getting pressure more than Garvin did, but neither is matching what Rousseau did from a finishing standpoint last year. Rousseau often made sacks just due to his freakish length and it was the difference between a sack and a pressure that the QB escapes the pocket on.

To sum it up:

1. DE's are not getting same pressure and definitely not actually finishing as often.
2. Less blitzing and pressure packages that are not as effective this year.
3. DT's are not performing as well as hoped and providing little in the way of pocket pushing.

I've often defended Baker, but he has played a part in things with some bizarre defensive calls that are more passive and a bend-don't-break style, which could reflect on lack of trust in LB's or secondary. That last sentence is a guess on my part.

Advertisement
Folks look at this breakdown filled with player mistakes and losing 1 on 1s and immediately rag on Baker lol. He’s not perfect and I’ll take Diaz back in a heartbeat but the kids are in position to make plays a lot of the times.

I mean, what the **** is Steed looking at!! Per Diaz, they handed out videos of recurring issues to the players. Let’s see if the in game technique/eye discipline/communication improves in the second half of the season.

As with most things, there is some nuance to the answer. Our DT's are getting handled too often, or pushed to the sides. Wide rushers need strong DT's who get pressure up-the-middle to prevent the QB from stepping up into the pocket (thus making outside rushers two yards behind the QB).

Our pressure packages are not getting home with the same frequency as last year and we are actually playing more straight up and blitzing less often.

The DE's themselves are not winning with the same frequency that Rousseau and Garvin did last year. In actuality, Roche is getting pressure more than Garvin did, but neither is matching what Rousseau did from a finishing standpoint last year. Rousseau often made sacks just due to his freakish length and it was the difference between a sack and a pressure that the QB escapes the pocket on.

To sum it up:

1. DE's are not getting same pressure and definitely not actually finishing as often.
2. Less blitzing and pressure packages that are not as effective this year.
3. DT's are not performing as well as hoped and providing little in the way of pocket pushing.

I've often defended Baker, but he has played a part in things with some bizarre defensive calls that are more passive and a bend-don't-break style, which could reflect on lack of trust in LB's or secondary. That last sentence is a guess on my part.
Lance can you compare our defensive tackles this year to 2017 with ken Norton and RJ McIntosh? I feel like those two played within this system so well and complimented each other so Well mainly because Norton knew his role as a space eater. I feel Ford sometimes thinks he’s Aaron Donald and take himself out of the play.

As a side bar I think if Gerald Willis played alongside Norton he’d have been even better. Which is hard to imagine

Lance can you compare our defensive tackles this year to 2017 with ken Norton and RJ McIntosh? I feel like those two played within this system so well and complimented each other so Well mainly because Norton knew his role as a space eater. I feel Ford sometimes thinks he’s Aaron Donald and take himself out of the play.

As a side bar I think if Gerald Willis played alongside Norton he’d have been even better. Which is hard to imagine
Not close to those guys. Nesta has flashed with his motor but his athleticism doesn’t stand out enough to win with more than power. He’s a really good complement to a great starter.

Miller has not played great. Ford either.

Harrison-Hunte is growing but lacks mass right now in run game.

He’s got potential.

Advertisement
Back