Upon Further Review- Virginia Tech

View as article

Lance Roffers

Junior
As the season winds down and the clock approaches midnight on the tenure of another Miami HC in the 2000’s, our beloved Canes looked to get bowl eligible against the Virginia Tech Hokies, who just happened to be coachless after they, too, fired their HC. How did it look on film? Strap in and join me for Upon Further Review.

Miami puts pressure on VT on 3rd down with only three rushers as McCloud takes an inside move and flushes the QB. Nesta does his usual display of motor and sprints down the LOS to shut off the corner. Punt. (Not pictured)

Punt return and George has a nice return. There was a facemask on the tackle that the officials missed. I thought so live, but here you clearly see it.
1.JPG

First play is a deep bomb to Rambo who adjusts to the ball in the air and makes a nice play. TVD with a great ball to give him a chance. (Not pictured)

Credit to Jarrid Williams for not getting too far downfield on this play. Miami is certainly going to more motion and horizontal spacing plays on offense. Franklin runs shallow out with Arroyo running a clearout route. Jarrid could block downfield if the route is only to Franklin since it’s behind the LOS, but they have Rambo running a drag across the play and that’s where TVD hits. It would be illegal if Jarrid goes any further.
2.JPG

Run an out-and-up with Mallory and then a post with Rambo to draw the coverage away. LB drops underneath the post and the S drives on the post, which opens up the corner of the end zone for Mallory to be wide open. Look at TVD, who is throwing the ball before Mallory has even come out of his break. High-level stuff.
3.JPG

Miami got so fortunate right here. Frierson gets out of his lane and actually tackles his own teammate. If the returner doesn’t slip he has daylight and it could’ve been a house call.
4.JPG

Continues to be a major deficiency to this defense: offense lets #12 rush upfield and then traps him away from QB. Nesta is doing that shoulder thing and gets washed down, Taylor is washed away far too easily. Then you’ve got a parting of the red sea and an OL onto Steed. Big QB run.
5.JPG

Your run defense has to start inside-out. Years of playing against that triple-option of GT taught us this. Miami is far too easily washed away and showing a lack of gap integrity. Your NT getting stood up 1-on-1 can’t happen and he has to feel the need to pinch this A-gap here. LB’s are washed away and it’s an easy hole for the RB.
6.JPG

Seen it a lot this year, but you can’t have 12 getting manhandled by a TE in this spot. When that happens and your QB runs, the offense has a numbers advantage on the edge.
7.JPG

Flagg is completely lost here. Thinks the RB has it, but the QB does. He overruns it and the QB runs right by him.
8.JPG

I’m going to be honest; this is the best play by a Miami MLB probably all year. Ragone sees the screen, splits two blockers and gets this man on the ground. This is probably a TD if he gets blocked. There is a decent chance that Ragone is a better player than Flagg.
9.JPG

Brashard Smith gets in front of Restrepo and throws an excellent block to spring him down the sideline. These young guys visibly play so much harder than the veterans. (Not pictured)

Knighton gets singled up on a LB and threatens the wheel route down the sideline on 3rd down, which gets the LB to turn his hips. Knighton runs the Texas route (also called an angle route) over the middle and just outruns the defense for the 1st down. I think Knighton needs to be used even more in the passing game. (Not pictured)

TVD throws a dime on 1st and goal to Rambo, but he can’t hang on. Then Mallory makes a play on 3rd down to extend drive. Knighton cashes in. (Not pictured)

As a game planner on the defensive side, it is my opinion you have to understand what the opposing team wants to do and how to combat it. Here you’ve got the LB’ers turning and running down the MOF to carry the seam. Your NT has to understand that he really needs to hold the line here and two-gap against a QB just taking off and running. The OL just lets him shoot upfield and then washes him whichever way he wants to go. QB steps through for a nice run.
10.JPG

Great play by Flagg who splits a gap on a run blitz and gets a TFL. (Not pictured)

Deep skinny post and the FS tries to jump the slant to Harley. He messed up, as that brought three defenders to Harley and left the MOF open. This is an NFL throw from TVD to George without a ton of separation, on a rope.
11.JPG

Run a cross-action with Knighton and Brashard, which draws eyes to Knighton and Brashard takes it to the 2. (Not pictured)

Pull Scaife and he is supposed to lead on this play, but you see the swim move over the top of Donaldson and Donaldson never touched him. He just fell on his face. Scaife was aware enough to see him coming through and he takes him. Then he comes off the defender and helps push Knighton into the end zone. Really good play by Scaife.
12.JPG

Two guys jump the flats, no one takes the slant. This is a mistake by the LB I believe. Too easy.
13.JPG

Harvey does a nice job of avoiding the pulling G, but misses the tackle and the QB goes for 20+. Middle of the line is Swiss cheese. Avante got juked out of his socks and tackled McCloud who was pursuing. (Not pictured)

VT gets a one-handed catch for the TD, but it should’ve been incomplete. I don’t see how they upfield the call on the field. (Not pictured)

Has Franklin on the dump, but he trusts Brashard’s speed, even though they have it covered. He splits them and TVD puts a beautiful ball out there for a TD.
14.JPG

This ball needs to be picked and is instead completed.
15.JPG

Nesta reads the reverse, and then runs the WR down for a TFL. You will not find a player on Miami who plays with a bigger motor than Nesta.
16.JPG

Carter has to get more depth here and understand the situation of where the sticks are. If he throws that dumpoff to the TE he can still make the tackle, but you can’t allow the dig behind you for a 1st. It's not the exact same coverage as 4th & 14, but it's a repeat of "defenders not getting enough depth in their zone drops."
17.JPG

Keontra forgets his coverage and attacks the QB, the TE runs right by him and is wide open. Thankfully their QB was awful. (Not pictured)

Flagg makes a nice open-field tackle on the QB to hold them to a FG. (Not pictured)

This should have been a pick-6. VT misses a wide-open TE on a blown coverage and has to kick a FG, then drops this for sure TD. If anyone defends Manny, just have them read this. Miami was once again on the right side of variance and lucky to win at all. Against a coachless, bad VT team.
18.JPG

Ragone sacks the QB. He’s developed himself into a player who makes plays in ACC games. Props to him. (Not pictured)

McCloud sacks VT and forces a fumble recovered by Clarke. Good for him. (Not pictured)

Something that frustrated me was Lashlee sort of went into a shell to start the 2nd half in the rain. He brought in a FB and tried to play that game and that just isn’t the game that Knighton plays. He needs space and let him create. FG. (Not pictured)

Marcus Clarke really played this awful. He’s flat-footed and behind a TE. He goes up and gets it.
19.JPG

Steed then gets hit in the face with an on-side kick and can’t handle it. (Not pictured)

From here, the game was a sloppy, monsoon so I will leave you here.

Overall
  • Probably the best game of the year from Flagg, who did some good things and had a couple of impactful tackles 1-on-1
  • TVD saved this game with his ability to hit chunk plays
  • Knighton is another building block of an offense and with the emergence of Thad Franklin and the return next year of Chaney, this running game should be able to produce a lot more next year
  • Manny’s scheme will not work defensively and this was a terrible offense that really shredded the defense and could’ve had so much more if their QB was D1 worthy as a passer (Blumrick)
  • I will miss Nesta and his motor
  • Lashlee wants to go back to his run game roots too often and should’ve put this game away with more Air-Raid concepts
  • Rambo is good and will be missed
  • Nothing really changed in this game, Miami just had positive variance on their side with the would-be pick-6, a few passes missed on wide-open players, and just a really bad offense not able to capitalize on some of the mistakes of Miami

Advertisement
Been saying it for awhile now, since Rooster took over we should just go full on air raid and get his touches more in passing game than anything else.. He is better in open field and get him matched up.. I was especially dissapointed when you watch every team make money against FSU with huge plays passing to TE and backs and we didnt get Rooster 10 catches minimum against them..

In 2nd half when we did get him the ball, whadayaknow, he hit them for a huge play like every other team prior.. Agreed Lashlee leans too much on establishing a nonexistent run game, he doesnt know how to use pass game as extension of run game or something.. Kiffin coached reggie bush and learned from Norm Chow how to get him the ball.. Will keep dreaming of him coming down here and putting Rooster in space with other weapons..

Appreciate this write up. My eyes also saw a positive game overall for Flagg, probably his best as a Cane.

The MOF was still open the majority of the game, but that seems to be exactly what the scheme calls for (they'll think it's trap and go around?).

Maybe it's desperation, but Lashlee seem content to run Rooster into the ground. Was happy to see Franklin utilized some, but in those elements he should have been getting more carries (you could see Knighton was feeling some wear from carrying the load).

So rare to see a DT who never gives up on a play. I'm going to miss Nesta. Wish that young man nothing but the best. He might not have made the crib great, but he mos def has made the crib proud.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pretty sure it was #47 that mishandled the onside kick and not Steed.
You could be right. It was difficult to see with the production quality and the rain.

Saw the “7” pretty clearly and not much else. If it was 47 and not 17 I retract my “hit him in the face” critique and move it to Mykel Tubbs. Welcome to your debut in Upon Further Review, Mr. Tubbs.

As always thank you Lance. Am I the only one that reads these specifically for the **** defense we play? It’s dumbfounding how bad we are on that side of the ball and Lance does an excellent job of highlighting what I see when I watch this defense. Pathetic all around. A ton of jags

Advertisement
Manny lost 2 games for TVD because of his horrible coaching decisions. (FSU and UVA) TVD should only have one loss as a QB. Im all in on him and there shouldnt be any QB competition this offseason although there will be with a new HC.

Cant understand how we gave up 26 points to these bums but BC shut them out and made them look like a Freshman HS football team. Not even JV level.
That is the reason why we cannot give Manny another year. He absolutely doesnt deserve it and I was the first one to say that if he had won out (including bowl game) that I would lean toward keeping him for another year. But not anymore. His arrogance cost him games this year and he will do the same crap next year. Nothing will change. Hes extremely arrogant for a HC who hasnt won anything. We should have saw that when he turned down every LB in the portal who wanted to come here and thought his LB room was good enough. And turned down Jermaine Johnson who looks like a Jaelon Phillips clone and will be a first round pick. Smh.

Great breakdown, Lance as always. I assumed these would get shorter as the season wore down. Time to turn the page.

As the season winds down and the clock approaches midnight on the tenure of another Miami HC in the 2000’s, our beloved Canes looked to get bowl eligible against the Virginia Tech Hokies, who just happened to be coachless after they, too, fired their HC. How did it look on film? Strap in and join me for Upon Further Review.

Miami puts pressure on VT on 3rd down with only three rushers as McCloud takes an inside move and flushes the QB. Nesta does his usual display of motor and sprints down the LOS to shut off the corner. Punt. (Not pictured)

Punt return and George has a nice return. There was a facemask on the tackle that the officials missed. I thought so live, but here you clearly see it.
View attachment 162389

First play is a deep bomb to Rambo who adjusts to the ball in the air and makes a nice play. TVD with a great ball to give him a chance. (Not pictured)

Credit to Jarrid Williams for not getting too far downfield on this play. Miami is certainly going to more motion and horizontal spacing plays on offense. Franklin runs shallow out with Arroyo running a clearout route. Jarrid could block downfield if the route is only to Franklin since it’s behind the LOS, but they have Rambo running a drag across the play and that’s where TVD hits. It would be illegal if Jarrid goes any further.
View attachment 162392

Run an out-and-up with Mallory and then a post with Rambo to draw the coverage away. LB drops underneath the post and the S drives on the post, which opens up the corner of the end zone for Mallory to be wide open. Look at TVD, who is throwing the ball before Mallory has even come out of his break. High-level stuff.
View attachment 162393

Miami got so fortunate right here. Frierson gets out of his lane and actually tackles his own teammate. If the returner doesn’t slip he has daylight and it could’ve been a house call.
View attachment 162394

Continues to be a major deficiency to this defense: offense lets #12 rush upfield and then traps him away from QB. Nesta is doing that shoulder thing and gets washed down, Taylor is washed away far too easily. Then you’ve got a parting of the red sea and an OL onto Steed. Big QB run.
View attachment 162395

Your run defense has to start inside-out. Years of playing against that triple-option of GT taught us this. Miami is far too easily washed away and showing a lack of gap integrity. Your NT getting stood up 1-on-1 can’t happen and he has to feel the need to pinch this A-gap here. LB’s are washed away and it’s an easy hole for the RB.
View attachment 162396

Seen it a lot this year, but you can’t have 12 getting manhandled by a TE in this spot. When that happens and your QB runs, the offense has a numbers advantage on the edge.
View attachment 162397

Flagg is completely lost here. Thinks the RB has it, but the QB does. He overruns it and the QB runs right by him.
View attachment 162398

I’m going to be honest; this is the best play by a Miami MLB probably all year. Ragone sees the screen, splits two blockers and gets this man on the ground. This is probably a TD if he gets blocked. There is a decent chance that Ragone is a better player than Flagg.
View attachment 162399

Brashard Smith gets in front of Restrepo and throws an excellent block to spring him down the sideline. These young guys visibly play so much harder than the veterans. (Not pictured)

Knighton gets singled up on a LB and threatens the wheel route down the sideline on 3rd down, which gets the LB to turn his hips. Knighton runs the Texas route (also called an angle route) over the middle and just outruns the defense for the 1st down. I think Knighton needs to be used even more in the passing game. (Not pictured)

TVD throws a dime on 1st and goal to Rambo, but he can’t hang on. Then Mallory makes a play on 3rd down to extend drive. Knighton cashes in. (Not pictured)

As a game planner on the defensive side, it is my opinion you have to understand what the opposing team wants to do and how to combat it. Here you’ve got the LB’ers turning and running down the MOF to carry the seam. Your NT has to understand that he really needs to hold the line here and two-gap against a QB just taking off and running. The OL just lets him shoot upfield and then washes him whichever way he wants to go. QB steps through for a nice run.
View attachment 162400

Great play by Flagg who splits a gap on a run blitz and gets a TFL. (Not pictured)

Deep skinny post and the FS tries to jump the slant to Harley. He messed up, as that brought three defenders to Harley and left the MOF open. This is an NFL throw from TVD to George without a ton of separation, on a rope.
View attachment 162401

Run a cross-action with Knighton and Brashard, which draws eyes to Knighton and Brashard takes it to the 2. (Not pictured)

Pull Scaife and he is supposed to lead on this play, but you see the swim move over the top of Donaldson and Donaldson never touched him. He just fell on his face. Scaife was aware enough to see him coming through and he takes him. Then he comes off the defender and helps push Knighton into the end zone. Really good play by Scaife.
View attachment 162402

Two guys jump the flats, no one takes the slant. This is a mistake by the LB I believe. Too easy.
View attachment 162403

Harvey does a nice job of avoiding the pulling G, but misses the tackle and the QB goes for 20+. Middle of the line is Swiss cheese. Avante got juked out of his socks and tackled McCloud who was pursuing. (Not pictured)

VT gets a one-handed catch for the TD, but it should’ve been incomplete. I don’t see how they upfield the call on the field. (Not pictured)

Has Franklin on the dump, but he trusts Brashard’s speed, even though they have it covered. He splits them and TVD puts a beautiful ball out there for a TD.
View attachment 162404

This ball needs to be picked and is instead completed.
View attachment 162405

Nesta reads the reverse, and then runs the WR down for a TFL. You will not find a player on Miami who plays with a bigger motor than Nesta.
View attachment 162406

Carter has to get more depth here and understand the situation of where the sticks are. If he throws that dumpoff to the TE he can still make the tackle, but you can’t allow the dig behind you for a 1st. It's not the exact same coverage as 4th & 14, but it's a repeat of "defenders not getting enough depth in their zone drops."
View attachment 162407

Keontra forgets his coverage and attacks the QB, the TE runs right by him and is wide open. Thankfully their QB was awful. (Not pictured)

Flagg makes a nice open-field tackle on the QB to hold them to a FG. (Not pictured)

This should have been a pick-6. VT misses a wide-open TE on a blown coverage and has to kick a FG, then drops this for sure TD. If anyone defends Manny, just have them read this. Miami was once again on the right side of variance and lucky to win at all. Against a coachless, bad VT team.
View attachment 162408

Ragone sacks the QB. He’s developed himself into a player who makes plays in ACC games. Props to him. (Not pictured)

McCloud sacks VT and forces a fumble recovered by Clarke. Good for him. (Not pictured)

Something that frustrated me was Lashlee sort of went into a shell to start the 2nd half in the rain. He brought in a FB and tried to play that game and that just isn’t the game that Knighton plays. He needs space and let him create. FG. (Not pictured)

Marcus Clarke really played this awful. He’s flat-footed and behind a TE. He goes up and gets it.
View attachment 162409

Steed then gets hit in the face with an on-side kick and can’t handle it. (Not pictured)

From here, the game was a sloppy, monsoon so I will leave you here.

Overall
  • Probably the best game of the year from Flagg, who did some good things and had a couple of impactful tackles 1-on-1
  • TVD saved this game with his ability to hit chunk plays
  • Knighton is another building block of an offense and with the emergence of Thad Franklin and the return next year of Chaney, this running game should be able to produce a lot more next year
  • Manny’s scheme will not work defensively and this was a terrible offense that really shredded the defense and could’ve had so much more if their QB was D1 worthy as a passer (Blumrick)
  • I will miss Nesta and his motor
  • Lashlee wants to go back to his run game roots too often and should’ve put this game away with more Air-Raid concepts
  • Rambo is good and will be missed
  • Nothing really changed in this game, Miami just had positive variance on their side with the would-be pick-6, a few passes missed on wide-open players, and just a really bad offense not able to capitalize on some of the mistakes of Miami

Awesome job Lance.

It's crazy to think where TVD is, at this early stage in his development. So much of being an accurate passer is knowing where to throw the ball within the catch radius. It's not always between the numbers on the front of the jersey. sometimes, throwing it in the receiver's chest is what gets you the pick-6. Accuracy, as you know, depends on the nature of the route, coverage, where the WR is on the field relative to sidelines, etc. Sometimes, the accurate throw is the one that looks like it may not be "on the money," but in reality, it is. He seems to have wicked sense of ball placement and the ability to get it there to any blade of grass. Impressive.

And it's not like he's on a Trevor Lawrence freshman year Clemson team. He's got a mediocre defense, and an above average (at best) OL in front of him. And a running game that is not consistent enough to take pressure off on short yardage money downs (i.e, 3rd and 3 or less).

Yet, he makes plays, and a lot of big time ones. I shudder to think what he would be putting up for numbers if he had a quality defense that gave him 3-4 more good drive opportunities per game, instead of having one that gives it back to him after the other team has scored or flipped the field.

If I'm a coach looking at whether to take the UM head job, I have to be loving my chances with that QB room.

In the immortal words of Don Shula: "if you think being a good coach is mostly luck, well then, not having a good QB ... is really bad luck!"

Advertisement
It’s clear our defensive players are very poorly coached and don’t think intelligently or instinctively when making movements or plays

Manny prides himself on his defense being fast and instinctive but it’s clearly far from that. Each player is thinking too much about following the “scheme”

Advertisement
Great writeup as usual.

Our offense is a couple OL away from being best in ACC. TVD is the goods. Rambo made money transferring to Miami; he’s playing on Sundays. And Mallory took a big step back to our expectations of him,

Defense is hot garbage outside of the safeties and a few guys who have really stepped up. Nesta, Gil and McCloud had great games.

Not contesting the point that Flagg had his best game. But that best game is still far below our standards as I saw him shoot the wrong gap multiple times and leave the midfield empty to be exploited.

Not contesting the point that Flagg had his best game. But that best game is still far below our standards as I saw him shoot the wrong gap multiple times and leave the midfield empty to be exploited.
No doubt. Keep in mind I also said that Ragone may actually be a better player than Flagg.

Has to be upgraded. Has to be.

Advertisement
Back