Upon Further Review- Virginia Tech

Donaldson is so bad. Refuses to block anyone, and he has all the agility, foot speed, and dexterity of a paraplegic. Its incomprehensible that he's this bad.

Watching it live, I thought he got hit by sniper fire on that hail marry.
He's a case study in how being ridiculously out of shape derails everything else about one's game.

Advertisement
Lance keep doing you!!! That poster is a clown.

Butch Barry has been an awful hire. I don't need to see anymore. Our O-Line is super dysfunctional. He needs to be gone after this season. Our guys come off the ball slow, look confused always, and never play with anticipation. I've seen enough
With as bad as the unit is, fire his *** right now. Bring someone in to replace him. It's not like it could get worse.

Try reading it next time and you’ll get your answers. The answers are right there in the play breakdown.
Yep, you do a great job and it is much appreciated. I believe you are right about the players playing hard for Manny. I want to be so wrong. I want Manny to be the guy for us because we can't keep changing Head Coaches. I hope he makes the adjustments on the coaching staff. Hopefully Nelson gets better with experience after getting his a** kicked this year. We are not good this year but ****, what is one more year. I just want to see some progression.

Butch Barry, I just do not understand WTF is going on. He went from Central Michigan to the NFL for...sucking? Dan Enos went from OC of Arkansas to HC of Central Michigan to OC apparent to Alabama for...sucking? Coaches come to us to suck.

He’s obviously a baller. Who comes on here and talks about how they present to Boards and CEOs? I’m sure a good number of people on here do that as well - they just don’t feel the need to talk about it.

There are others, you are right. I know because they reference it - just like all of the guys who coach or played football reference their experiences. When one's expertise makes them distinctly qualified to opine on something, they should 100% make reference to it.

Also, since when does presenting to ballers make you a baller? Lol. I wasn't trying to say, "I'm a baller so listen to me". I'm not a baller. But I do know about how to mix qualitative and quantitative insights to communicate key messages, so I referenced my experience when suggesting to Lance Roffers that he do more of that (because he's **** good at it when he does).

Advertisement
I think you hit on an interesting point. If Enos was calling plays for Bama, he'd probably look like a genius with that offensive line. At Miami he is calling plays like he has an Alabama offensive line when it's closer to being on par with Alabama State. That's why we are probably going to set a NCAA record for sacks allowed (I wish I was joking).

We have:
An offensive line that cant block
A defense that cant tackle
A kicker who cant kick.

Other than that, we're all good.
Enos system would be a waste of talent at Alabama too. Putting Tua and those 1st rounder wr’s under center nearly 40-50% of time is dumb.

There are others, you are right. I know because they reference it - just like all of the guys who coach or played football reference their experiences. When one's expertise makes them distinctly qualified to opine on something, they should 100% make reference to it.

Also, since when does presenting to ballers make you a baller? Lol. I wasn't trying to say, "I'm a baller so listen to me". I'm not a baller. But I do know about how to mix qualitative and quantitative insights to communicate key messages, so I referenced my experience when suggesting to Lance Roffers that he do more of that (because he's **** good at it when he does).

I think my response to this would be that is not my intent with these. My intent with these is to do a deep dive on a film review. These are film based and not data based. I do data articles as well, which have a different intent.

The length of them is intentional, but your feedback on length is not unique and it is noted.

If I were presenting a QBR or MBR to my board at work this would be a different format, just as if I were presenting a process review to the individuals actually performing the process on a daily basis the format would be much more detailed.

For me, what I'm providing here is unique. I do not see anyone else going to the level of detail I do. Maybe it's a niche product and that means my customer focus is not you, but I can tell you that of all the content I have provided over the years, these film reviews consistently seem to be the most digested.

As they say, you can't focus on everyone. There are individuals who provide charting data on games available to you. I believe Daniel Gould performs a similar service, you might check him out if that is what you're looking for because I will be honest and tell you I do not have the time to chart while doing the film reviews each week.

I think my response to this would be that is not my intent with these. My intent with these is to do a deep dive on a film review. These are film based and not data based. I do data articles as well, which have a different intent.

The length of them is intentional, but your feedback on length is not unique and it is noted.

If I were presenting a QBR or MBR to my board at work this would be a different format, just as if I were presenting a process review to the individuals actually performing the process on a daily basis the format would be much more detailed.

For me, what I'm providing here is unique. I do not see anyone else going to the level of detail I do. Maybe it's a niche product and that means my customer focus is not you, but I can tell you that of all the content I have provided over the years, these film reviews consistently seem to be the most digested.

As they say, you can't focus on everyone. There are individuals who provide charting data on games available to you. I believe Daniel Gould performs a similar service, you might check him out if that is what you're looking for because I will be honest and tell you I do not have the time to chart while doing the film reviews each week.

Thank you. That all makes perfect sense. I'll keep that in mind when I skim the next one of these (but I'll keep hoping for more of the data articles you are so good at!).

Advertisement
These things continue to be way too long.

I usually skim the play breakdowns, then flip to the bullet points at the end, but "coaching is questionable, OL stinks, LBs are underwhelming" was not very insightful. In other articles you do a great job of mixing qualitative and quantitative analysis - can you bring some of that to these? It feels like you're not playing to your strengths.

For example, you said "There were plays all over this film where the OL just refused to hit somebody". That sounds like something any angry Canes fan could say. It would be more insightful if you said how often this happened. What % of plays were there when there was an unblocked defensive player AND an OL not blocking anyone in the same play? Or something along those lines.

Here's another one. You said, "It is clear that Bud Foster didn’t fear the WR’s on Miami and played press-man a ton". How often? And how did Miami due vs. press-man?

I would be 1000x more interested in reading an article with that type of insight than flipping through ~50 screen shots of the game with undifferentiated commentary.

Just my 2 cents.
Then don't read it *******

The funniest part to me is that you said you didn’t have enough time to read the whole post (which took me probably 5 minutes to read both), but then you spend all this time posting replies explaining why you didn’t read it and could have read over it multiple times over!

Come on broseph! Get over yourself and read Lance’s posts... you’ll be glad you did.

Thank you. That all makes perfect sense. I'll keep that in mind when I skim the next one of these (but I'll keep hoping for more of the data articles you are so good at!).

It's hard for me to fathom that plays where we have offensive lineman not touching a single person are commonplace.

And @Lance Roffers, you know they're going to be under center! 🤮

Last edited:
Advertisement
The funniest part to me is that you said you didn’t have enough time to read the whole post (which took me probably 5 minutes to read both), but then you spend all this time posting replies explaining why you didn’t read it and could have read over it multiple times over!

Come on broseph! Get over yourself and read Lance’s posts... you’ll be glad you did.
Dumbest **** I have come across in a bit. **** and moan about anything, free breakdown by one man's opinion and you kick your blocks and suck your thumb? Come on man. Thats a troll or dumbass.

Advertisement
The side discussion about Lance's format has taken us away from the core issue at hand....This is a very bad football team.

I continue to wonder how UM got to a point where an undersized 2 star O line recruit ends up starting at left tackle as a freshman. What in the living ****, man?!?!?

The side discussion about Lance's format has taken us away from the core issue at hand....This is a very bad football team.

I continue to wonder how UM got to a point where an undersized 2 star O line recruit ends up starting at left tackle as a freshman. What in the living ****, man?!?!?

so on the ivins cast, he said he spoke with a former staffer who recruited zion and they said that when they were recruiting him, it was with the intention that he wouldnt see the field for 3 years. obviously, part of zion starting is due to the last staff and OL coach and their failures in recrutiing, but holy **** man. not one dude can supplant this guy

Advertisement
Back