Upon Further Review: Throwback to 2000 FSU vs. Miami

Advertisement
Our current Miami team can match up as far as skill positions, is better at DE than the ’00 Miami team was, and we have some talent at LB. But OL is a mile away.

giphy (6).gif

Not unless they hire him back. Remember, Richt was the OC for FSU in this game.

I know, I wasn't serious, but it would make Mark Richt look like Andy Reid.

This was my favorite part of your breakdown,

"Weinke has been killing Miami on underneath stuff so you wonder why they’re throwing deep so often."

:richt:

Good writeup. Leading up to the start of the season, I downloaded all full games from Youtube from 2000-2002 and watched most. Couple of things:

1. QB Standards have just escalated. Dorsey misses a lot of open guys over the two years to the point we'd be clamoring for a more accurate guy, I feel, especially given his OL.
2. OL was so dominant back then
3. Capshaw sucked. He had a 4 yard punt against a rival in one of those three years, I think 2002 when it was 28-27. He had more shanks than Fair caught balls.
4. Davenport. WHAT a weapon. Like having a 12th guy on the field.

Advertisement
this is going to go over alot of people's heads, but this is gospel ... we're setting ourselves up for a nice run if perry pans out ... need to continue to recruit, but there's a lot to be happy about

also, thanks for the breakdowns .... often times you'll hear coach brown say that if one guy doesn't do his job it messes up the whole play, but we often dismiss his comments and chalk it up to poor play calling, your dissections point out the breaks downs and literally show how in some cases we're one block or throw away from big plays ... good ****

Its very exciting and from all accounts Richt loves what he sees in Jarren Williams as well. Just need to continue to recruit well especially in the trenches.

Advertisement
That was really interesting. I was at the game, but from the stands I couldn't see, or rather wasn't looking for, just how dominant the OL was.

Weinke was a great college QB. I remember being very glad that game was finally the last we'd see of him.

People take for granted just how dominant both McKinnie and Joaquin were at those tackle spots. And in turn how good that made Dorsey. Over the last oh.. 15 years or so, when our tackles whiff just 2 or 3 times a game we say they had a pretty good game. McKinnie and Joaquin got beat that many times, maybe, combined over the course of 2 seasons.

People take for granted just how dominant both McKinnie and Joaquin were at those tackle spots. And in turn how good that made Dorsey. Over the last oh.. 15 years or so, when our tackles whiff just 2 or 3 times a game we say they had a pretty good game. McKinnie and Joaquin got beat that many times, maybe, combined over the course of 2 seasons.

So do Ravens fans. Without McKinnie, Ray and Ed don't win that super bowl. He literally gave Flacco the time (and comfort) needed to complete all those 10+ yard passes.

Lance thanks this was great!

I'm still LOL on this line: I could run through this hole (the hit would end my life, but at least I’d find the hole).

Advertisement
As good as Dorsey was, he only hit on 58% of his passes in 2001 — and he was only sacked four times the entire season.

If you’re interested, check this game out, @Lance Roffers:

Think you’ll see similar concepts and route combos.

Richt May have done us a favor by losing this one. The Canes and Noles would have a shared title if they won. Could you imagine sharing a title with those fools? I guess it’d be #6 tho

Advertisement
This was a great read and reminded me of the circumstances around me watching this game.

I was a senior in HS and had been telling everyone I could that Miami was coming back since the previous year to two. Not sure if at that point I had visited The U as a potential student yet, but it was close.

I had to work this day and couldn't get out. So I watched the first half and set the VCR to record (man... things are so much better now). As the day went by, I was asking everyone I saw if they had a score update. At some point I managed to get it on the radio, heard the final minutes or so, and basically said "F this, I'm going to my car to listen."

Sat in my '87 Supra with leather interior in SWFL and melted listening to the final drive and missed kick, going absolutely ballistic in the parking lot.

This wasn't Richt as an OC though. He went to GA already and didn't call the plays in this game. I do believe this was the start of the Jeff Bowden era. Man i miss that dude.

wait what?

richt said himself in some interview it was his worst called game

Advertisement
Back