Upon Further Review- Rhett Lashlee

View as article

Lance Roffers

Junior
It feels like it was just a year ago I was sitting here pouring over film and data of offensive coordinator candidates for Miami and new coach, Manny Diaz. Now, after a disastrous 6-7 season that included a shutout loss to Louisiana Tech in the bowl game, I am back to take another swing at it. Reading through the review of Enos is a bit cringe worthy, as I had a happy ending of my evaluation. There are some learning's of that review, namely making the mistake of believing that Dan Enos was going to be a different person after taking a year at the Alabama program and compromising my wanting pace-and-space above all else.

Additionally, when we hired Enos, I was not actually happy. I was there when he was at Missouri State in 1996 and he was known as the smartest guy in the room and generally despised. He left after one season. I texted the other guys on CIS staff this information. Not much changed for Enos after that time, it seems. Lesson learned there.

Here is a list of the things I am most wanting to see from our next OC:
  • Put players in position to succeed
For me, coaching is all about putting your players in the best position to succeed and asking them to do the things they naturally do well, while minimizing the times you ask them to do things they do not do well. For example, asking Will Mallory to be an in-line blocker is setting this player up to fail and forcing your players to execute your scheme rather than creating a scheme that meets their skill set.
  • Run an offense that utilizes Pace-and-Space
With the way college offenses today, I cannot imagine running a slow, methodical offense at the P-5 level. The main reason is that with more talent, you want a larger sample size to reduce the variance that you will see in a game with fewer plays. Additionally, Miami is a program that has built-in advantages with their weather (heat and humidity) and athletes (speed everywhere). Finally, recruits want to play in a system that allows them to get excited and playing faster and in space allows them to do just that.
  • Have your offense get to LOS and then “Check with me”
This one is simple: college athletes have less experience, less free time, lower football IQ’s opposed to NFL players (on average), and are limited in the time they can spend with coaches each week. Why ask a college QB to get to the LOS, read keys, make play calls, then ask them to make necessary adjustments when your professional coach who spends 80 hours a week creating the plays and game plan can make the adjustments for your QB after reviewing the defensive setup.
  • Spread that incorporates power running game, rather than Mike Leach style air-raid only
There is an old myth that spread offenses are finesse offenses that do not utilize the run game effectively. When run correctly, the spread offense actually opens up the run game and creates opportunities for your RB’s to be the foundation of your offense. Some spread offenses utilize the power running game better than others and I’m looking for an OC who understands how to create numbers for his offense and- if the personnel allows for it- get the QB involved in the run game as well.

This is the type of offense that Lashlee runs, rather than utilizing a true “air-raid” spread that ignores the TE or makes him essentially a big slot. I need to see more of the power-run game outside of his time at Auburn. Did Sonny Dykes mandate more Air-Raid principles and a reduction of the ground game? He had better run numbers at UConn, so perhaps that is the case.
  • Zone blocking scheme- specifically outside zone running
Lashlee runs some zone-blocking principles in the run game, but this isn’t a staple of his offense. It is much more counters, pullers, gap scheme in the run game. This is the obvious Auburn influence to his offense. This isn't a deal breaker for me, but it's not my first choice, truthfully.
  • Experience calling plays- preferably at the Power-5 level
For the most part, offensive football comes down to plays that most teams already have in their playbooks. Smash, Stick, RPO’s, Mesh, Inside-Zone, Outside Zone, Gap Runs, Counter Runs, Slant-Flat Combos, Levels, Layers, Read-Option etc. The ability to call plays effectively takes some time to master, and doing so at the highest level is important experience for me. Taking each of the staple plays above and then understanding variances, tendency breakers, and sequencing can be the difference between being a passing game savant who has a terrible passing game, and an OC who saves the HC’s job.
  • Utilize college rules to your advantage
In college football, your OL and WR’s can block downfield before the ball is thrown or caught if the ball is caught behind the LOS. This is a major advantage for the offense and allows for teams with athletes to get them in space and make people miss. Levels concepts, layers concepts, slip screens, tunnel screens all are a part of an air-raid offense and can stress a defense while getting the ball out of the hands of the QB quickly. Asking your QB to turn his back to the defense repeatedly and then turn and read the field is not maximizing the rules of college football and should be moved away from.

Lashlee never asked his QB to do this in any of the film I watched of his offenses, and he definitely utilizes the college rules to his team's advantage. He does it a little differently by using a tendency breaker from his Z receiver, who comes back towards the LOS and catches it behind the LOS while the OL releases and gets to their blocks. It's a cool concept and one I wasn't really familiar with previously.
  • Protect your OL
There were times this year when I wanted to jump through my television while watching the QB take 5 and 7-step drops all games with an OL that was not able to protect that long. Other times I watched a true freshman LT be asked to block an experienced pass rusher on the edge while the QB tried to get to a fourth read in their progression. An OC has a responsibility to put his players in a position to succeed (rule 1) and the play-calling is a big part of this process. The quick-passing game should be a staple of any college offense and an air-raid with power run concepts is once again my choice.

Using the Central Limit Theorem you are able to take a sample mean and get a good approximation of what the average time for the entire population is. SMU got the ball out in 2.32 seconds on average, while Miami took 2.66 seconds on average. This might not sound like a big deal, but the accepted timeframe to get a pass out of the QB’s hands is 2.50 seconds, which means Miami was making things harder on their OL on average, while SMU was making things significantly easier on theirs.

To take this even further, SMU got the ball out of the QB’s hands in an average of 2.33 seconds (virtually identical to passes anywhere else on the field). Miami got passes out in an average of 3.55 seconds, which is absurdly high and helps to explain some of their issues in the red zone. Even taking out any outliers (passes with 2 standard deviations above the mean), Miami still averaged an outrageous 3.10 seconds to get the ball out.

This shows up in their sack numbers, as they allowed a sack every 29.5 passes, while Miami allowed one every 8.5 passes (wow).
  • Create explosive plays
Lashlee’s offense by design looks to take deep shots when they present themselves and they finished 24th in the country in Explosive Drives.

Shane Buechele led the nation in deep passing during the regular season with 1,368 yards, despite throwing a deep pass on only 19.0% of his pass attempts (86 pass attempts).

Game Film

I’ll focus a lot on the Memphis game and the bowl game for SMU because it was a big game and a game with time to prepare. Stills will come from the games I reviewed (and be my own) and then gifs will come from various Twitter plays I’ve found and want to talk through (not my gifs).

Trips left verticals, TE was in-line and then motioned out. Brought safety over and identified coverage with a zero-blitz (no safety in middle). Bringing 6 with 6 blockers means the first read has to be quick (Go route is first read on this play). This is putting your TE in a position to succeed and shows what you can do with Brevin.
1.png

You can see some of the clever concepts that Lashlee runs that are a lot of fun for me to review. He generally saves more creative concepts for 3rd down, which shows how SMU completed such a high percentage of their 3rd downs on the season. This is trips (3 WR) right, mesh (two crossers create a mesh point that can pick or confuse defenders), with a smash concept (essentially corner route with an underneath route to hold flat defender) from your outside WR (Z) and big slot (H). Two defenders take 83, which means the Z just has a safety. Easy read for the QB and a big play downfield. I’m a biased observer, like most humans, and I have to admit that two of my very favorite plays are Mesh and Smash concepts and he combined them both into one play here. The QB reads two reads at once on this play (Corner and Out). Defender drifts to take the corner, he hits the out. Stays down for the out, he takes the corner. Good OC’s make easy reads on the first read for the QB.
2.png

I saw this defense and said they’ve got a double on the slot and two-deep S’s. Proche is way out there on the boundary outside of the numbers. Lashlee gets exactly what he wants on this play, as he motions the slot over to the short side of the field. This drops the LB down to the edge, the S rotates out to single-high, opposite S drops down to take the motion WR. With the off-coverage on Proche and the S and LB vacating that spot the slant is virtually unstoppable here because of RPO action holding the edge.
3.png

This role is perfect for a Daz Worsham, who showed in high school to be excellent on slants and with the ball in space. That amount of green grass turns into big plays in college football (this goes for an easy 1st down).
4.png

You see the limitation with Buechele’s arm here. Often times, if the QB has a weak arm, the OC will tell the QB to simply ignore the hitch route on this concept because it’s too far of a throw and can be jumped if the ball is floated. You see that here as QB reads the seam 1st when otherwise hitch is 1st read here (and open). When you think of the perfect QB to run this offense, it include a QB who can make this throw in their toolbox.
5.png

This play is called “Levels” because it forces the defense to defend all three levels (short, medium, deep). Most of the time it has a shallow cross as the 1st read, but because of the sprint for the QB, it cuts the field in half to that side. 1st read here is the TE leaking across (14), then corner, then the dig. You might ask why the Go route isn’t one of the reads, and that’s because it’s a pre-snap read. If the defense isn’t what you’re looking for, that route becomes a clear out and not part of your progression. The QB misses the dig on this one twice. He’s open here, which is the first window, then he’s open again as the QB gets to that second hash mark because that LB flows with the QB outside and opens that window (circled). Xavier Restrepo or another slot WR would eat in this route.
6.png

7.png

This looks kind of familiar.
8.png

Uses space to make things easy for his outside WR (Z). Play off-coverage like this and it’s an automatic slant for a 1st down. The big thing you see that Lashlee does is he keeps it simple for his QB, with just a few reads. He helps his OL because all of these plays are designed to get the ball out quick. The space helps the OL as well because it limits where defenses can send blitzers from.
9.png

Off-coverage again and you get the immediate slant after that same motion rolls the S out and drops the edge down to open the window.

Next play on 2nd and 1 and they take a deep shot, which is a great time to take a chance deep. They get the completion after review. It is mostly what you’d consider common sense, but Lashlee has a nice feel for simply doing the next smart thing. You want to give the slant with off-man, take it. You want to try and play cover-2 with an off safety on the slot? Take smash all day. 2nd and short with single-high S? Take a deep shot. One of my biggest complaints with Enos was simple stuff that is available was being ignored because I can only assume he wanted to show how smart he could be? (Not pictured)

Wouldn’t you know it, on the next play, on 1st and goal from the 2, they try a double reverse pass from Proche that is almost intercepted. Burn that play. Next play is same formation and they run it in for the TD. (Not pictured)

Lashlee gets fooled here. It’s cover-2 and SMU lines up with Ace Trips Right and an inline TE. Check with me into run left due to leverage. After the check, Memphis checks their defense to drop that edge defender down onto the line and he’s unaccounted for an gets a TFL on Read-Option.
10.png

11.png

For some reason the SMU QB wants to throw a back-shoulder fade to a TE when he has a check-down on a LB in space on 3rd and 5.
12.png

Miami is going to need to recruit WR’s who can operate in space to make this offense fully hum. Here, SMU is under C with two TE’s. One in-line, one offset in tight. Give this much space and they just throw the bubble. Makes a man miss and goes for 1st down. Miami does not have a receiver as good as James Proche.
13.png

Here is a play-caller seeing the defense compensating for an area they’ve been getting beat. That slant to bottom of screen has been a killer. They’re still playing off, but now they bring that OLB into the slant zone. Then they shade their deep safety to the side of Proche. Second safety has been moved down to take away that slant to the top of the screen. Lashlee sees them pressing and no S deep to that side and calls a stop-and-go and it is wide open down to the 9-yard line. Great job of a play-caller running a play until the defense adjusts, then countering off of it for a big play.
14.png

3rd and goal and they run Smash to both sides. Memphis covers it this time and the QB has to take the Whip route, which is short of the goal line. Lashlee LOVES Smash in the red zone. I’d like to see him throw the trips slant-stop pick play in the red zone for a variation of Smash at times as well, but haven’t seen that yet.
15.png

On a pace for 500 yards, but only 15 yards rushing on 10 rushes in the first half.
16.png

At this point, Memphis has opened up a 30-17 lead. Same sprint right layers concept that they ran earlier in the game, only this time they suck up to the TE and leave the medium route open and the QB hits it. That is another TE that he throws to, so double-TE is not at all unusual for this offense. #83 is essentially a big WR in the mold of Will Mallory. The #14 is more of the all-around TE who can block and catch like Brevin Jordan. They’ll adjust the roles to make Brevin more of a focal point, but the offense certainly accentuates the TE more than I was originally told. This offense is really simple for the QB to read and execute. A clear mashup of the Auburn, UConn, Air Raid offenses.
17.png

I really like that Lashlee is not a dink-and-dunk guy. He absolutely identifies when the defense is giving opportunities to go deep. Here, they’re up in press on the boundary against Proche. They’ve stacked on the TE with the edge and then S over the seam. This holds that S inside and opens up 1-on-1 against their best WR on the outside. They throw the Go and get a pass interference in the end zone.
18.png

Next play in red zone and they go 2 x 2 and I said to myself, “It’s Smash, isn’t it?” It was. Lashlee loves Smash in the red zone. (Not pictured)

Next red zone play is a motion from the other side and the H runs the wheel while the Z switches with him and runs a post. The pass is overthrown because of PI not called. Lashlee absolutely wants to attack that corner area of the end zone in the red zone, which is a good choice as that area is difficult to cover well.
19.png

A nice little counter to the love of Smash or Switch Wheel in the red zone is to stack the WR’s and then throw a screen to the front WR coming back towards the LOS. I listed part of my criteria is to take advantage of the college rules for allowing downfield blocking on passes behind LOS and Lashlee saves it for a big moment here on 3rd and 10. It should’ve been a TD, but 72 didn’t block a soul.
20.png

21.png

Direct snap to RB after a check with me to get numbers near the goal line. TD. Lashlee will save plays and bring them out in big spots and rely on his staple plays for most of the rest of the game. Got a FB into the game in short yardage. Chaney would be great for this play with his comfort of running the ball in tight formations and making one cut with power.
22.png

7 plays, 75 yards, right down the field after Memphis returned the opening 2nd half kickoff to get some separation, on the road, night game with national audience. Impressive drive and play calling as his defense is not doing him any favors and allows Memphis to control the ball and score again.
23.png

Jet motion, fake the bubble to him, TE counter takes a handoff with a TE lead to the other side. Not real in love with slow-developing runs to your TE, but at least they showed a wrinkle to keep the defense honest.
24.png

Here’s a look at what the QB reads. He’s simply reading the outside defender whose leg you can see here. If that defender stays outside (there is a bubble screen over there), he gives the ball to the RB. If that defender dives inside to this hole, he pulls and throws the bubble.
26.png

You play single-high, this offense is going to attack you vertically. S is on the top hash here. Seam routes to both sides holds the S over there so Buechele throws it up for his WR at the bottom of the screen. SMU gained four pass interference calls on deep passes in this game (five in total) that don’t show up in their stats.
27.png

It’s not just Miami who has problems with OL not understanding their assignments. 78 has the outside for 57 and the inside for the TE (ball is supposed to come out quickly). Instead the RT doesn’t touch him and the TE can’t block a DE, who gets the sack.
28.png

Memphis busted off another long TD run and put the game mostly out of reach at this point. Lashlee threw out a couple of cool trick plays late in this game. One was a double-reverse flea-flicker that the QB threw a dime to the TE deep for a TD. The other on a two-point conversion was a throwback screen on a T-eligible play (Not pictured).

Advertisement
GIF's

Example of one of my favorite plays; Smash from Y (83) with a Whip to the boundary, and a checkdown from RB. The reason why it looks like the QB is looking that way the whole time is he has two reads in one. His read is the boundary CB, believe it or not. He’s throwing this long before the receiver is open just based on what the boundary CB does. If the boundary CB sinks back into the end zone to take away the corner route, you know you have the Whip route underneath. If the defense drops into Cover-4, you have the checkdown with your RB 1-on-1 against the MLB.

There is a really cool RPO you can run with this as well, where you run this route concept but the RB is going to block the MLB rather than run a pass route and the QB is basically running a lead draw with a lead blocker and a light box to run against.

A red-zone special package out of this same concept is to have your WR run a slant-stop rather than the Whip you see here out of Trips, rather than 2 x 2. It creates a natural pick for your middle receiver running the corner.

On this play, it is a single-high S look from the defense. Stacks his TE (Y) with a slot (H) receiver. Once again, this is a simple read for the QB. Since he sees the defense is in single-high his first read is the middle seam route by 83 (little different than a crosser since it drifts deeper to give a better angle). This isn’t difficult, in fact, Lashlee is making it easy on his QB as you know that middle seam is going to be open in the second window unless the single-high S drops down to jump it. If he does, you have the Z 1-on-1 deep to the outside. Lashlee loves the Whip route, and so do I because it forces the CB to come up to protect against the slant and doesn’t allow him to drift back on routes to make the throw more difficult (or “muddy” the throwing lane).

Another one-read play for the QB. This is called Stick, but they double it with the OLB. That means the QB is making only one read; if the MLB vacates and follows the swing pass to the RB it’s a QB draw. If he doesn’t vacate, you throw the swing pass. These are simple reads for the QB and makes it easy for him to pick up and succeed in this scheme. Simple numbers game.

This is another air-raid staple. Ace Mesh X Post with a swing to the RB. The RB does what he is coached to do when the edge jumps it like this and turns it into a wheel. Post takes coverage away and opens that corner of end zone. The swing (into wheel) is the last read on this play. Read is corner or post, then mesh point, then swing (into wheel). You can see QB do this quickly and get to his third read. Little bit of variation because you have your Y (TE) attached in-line rather than split. Lashlee does this to keep TCU in more of a heavy personnel to respect threat of run.

Lashlee isn’t unusual in that he’s an Air-Raid guy who loves the concepts that most do in Stick, Mesh, Smash. This is Ace Trips Right Y Stick against single-high S man-coverage. Against this defense, the pre-snap read is the Z-Go. Looks off the S and knows where he is going the whole time. The Z is lined up outside the numbers and his one job is that he must release outside. If this is cover-2, it’s not even a read for your QB and is just a clear-out route.

When you have a stud receiver like Proche, you run concepts that open the field up for him and that’s what they did here.

Data (You have been warned)
  • Without accounting for strength of schedule, SMU scored a TD on 41.2% of their drives this year. That figure ranked 12th in the nation. Last season, SMU was at 23.7% which was 93rd. Adding a grad transfer QB helped, but the scheme change was big for this program. For context, Miami scored a TD on 26.0% of their drives, good for 76th in the nation. Alabama was at 56.4%, Ohio State at 55.0%, LSU at 52.3% to show where the elite teams are at (1, 2, 3).
  • SMU registered a 1st down on 77.1% of their drives, good for 28th in the nation. Last season, SMU was at 64.4%, which was 118th. Miami was at 69.4%, which was 84th in the nation. Ohio State at 87% and LSU at 84.4% were 1, 2.
  • SMU gained 57.7% of the available yards to their offense (meaning if there are 80 yards to a TD and you gain 60 yards, you gained 75% of the available yards). This ranked 14th in the nation. Last year, they were at 39.9%, good for 104th in the nation. Miami was at 44.3%, good for 83rd in the nation. Alabama at 70.2%, LSU at 69.2%, Oklahoma at 66.5%, Ohio State at 66.3% to show you the importance of this stat (1, 2, 3, 4).
  • SMU had their drive average at least 10 yards per play 18.3% of the time, good for 24th in the country. Last year they were at 11.9%, good for 85th. Miami was at 12.2%, finishing 79th. LSU was at 34.4% (wow), Alabama at 32.7%, Oklahoma at 30.9% (1, 2, 3).
  • An area that gives pause for the offense is at “Busted Drive Rate” which measures the percentage of drives that earn zero or negative yards. SMU finished at 9.8%, good for 42nd in the nation. Last year they were at 17.8% (121st). Miami finished at 16.8%, which was 120th in the nation (woof). Boise State was at 3.8%, LSU was at 3.9% (1, 2).
  • SMU was above-average in every metric, while Miami was below-average in every metric.
Observations
  • Smash, Slants, Post, Wheel, Mesh, Hitch, Dig, Screen all day in the passing game are the post-snap reads. There are pre-snap reads on almost every play to determine if the defense is giving a 1-on-1 matchup that can get deep. If there is, that’s the read on most plays.
  • Run game is based on numbers in almost all cases. If the box is light, it’s right. If the box is full, pull.
  • What does this offense do when the defense can run cover-2 with a LB fast enough to carry the seam 8 yards before giving off to the S, with a MLB who can cover the RB on the check down? It looks like most of their routes are going to disrupted if you play physical press-man cover-2 and have athletic LB’s. Of course, most offenses are going to be disrupted if the defense has the personnel to do those things.
  • Lashlee has a good feel for setting up routes and knowing when to use the variation for big plays. 3rd and long does not feel hopeless in this offense.
  • Miami is going to need to recruit WR’s who can get separation.
  • Hopefully whoever is the WR coach next year is good at teaching WR’s/TE’s how to stem a DB because in the smash concept it’s a must. Additionally, the Whip route that Lashlee loves to throw in the flat with the Smash concepts is not an easy route to master. You have to sell that slant hard enough to get the boundary CB to drive on it, then pivot and cut back out. If you give it away, the boundary CB can sink and muddy that corner route that the Smash lives on. Running the Dig route is another difficult route to teach/master because the WR has to get to his window on time. There are two windows the QB is reading on that Dig route and if he doesn’t get the ball in the first window, he has to keep running to get to the second window on time for the QB to see him. There are a couple of instances of this happening in the stills of the Memphis game.
  • Lashlee rarely asks his RB’s to pass protect, which will help the freshmen get on the field faster. For the most part, he utilizes them as decoys, or in pass patterns with the help of space to pull defenders out of the box. Then he gets the ball out of the QB’s hand quickly to offset blitzes. This is one of the major differences you will see in philosophies with this offense.
  • Any QB in America can play in this offense. It’s simple and the reads are the same regardless of what the coverage is. There is very little of the QB needing to read “if the LB moves here, do this”, type of stuff. Most of that is in the Read-Option run game. The offense is designed to give the QB only 1-2 reads on most plays. The Smash concept that Lashlee runs allows for the QB to make two reads with only one key, then get to the check-down, which is technically his third read.
  • Truthfully, there is more two-TE and bunch type of formations than I expected. This isn’t a true space-and-pace offense, but rather a hybrid of things that Lashlee has picked up along the way. Hopefully he has mastered what better defenses will do to counter his go-to plays because Miami does not have the OL to compensate for the need for more time.
  • Lashlee runs a lot of plays, but he doesn’t really turn up the pace until after the first 1st down of the drive. He picks the pace up even more once the offense gets past midfield. Then tends to go even faster on 3rd and short. Think how the Patriots go super-fast on those plays to prevent substitutions into short yardage personnel groupings.
  • I like that Lashlee is not afraid to continue to take free-money from the defense. If something he is calling is working, he will call it until the defense adjusts or stops it. Gus Malzahn was once told to have "six plays and be really good at them" which seems to have been passed down to Lashlee because he has about that many concepts that he goes to constantly. It's just that he can run any of the six out of just about every formation and they generally look the same pre-snap.

Smash-Whip again with a wrinkle by having the TE in as an extra blocker rather than making him the Y like the first gif utilized. That looks like a red zone adjustment to get TE into that spot in red zone and utilize more size. When further out, utilize more speed in that spot. This was again a pre-snap read for the QB. QB is just throwing to a spot and the WR has to get there.

I could only add five pieces of media, but wanted to show this adjustment on earlier plays.

Great work Lance. I expect better offensive numbers than the past two years for sure. However, my expectations will be tempered due to the QB limitations and the OL. I agree that WRs lack the ability to make people miss. This offense give guys a chance for big plays if that can A. Beat one guy in space or B. Get separation. I think our RBs should enjoy the space they will see in this offense.

Advertisement

Smash-Whip again with a wrinkle by having the TE in as an extra blocker rather than making him the Y like the first gif utilized. That looks like a red zone adjustment to get TE into that spot in red zone and utilize more size. When further out, utilize more speed in that spot. This was again a pre-snap read for the QB. QB is just throwing to a spot and the WR has to get there.

I could only add five pieces of media, but wanted to show this adjustment on earlier plays.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Well done!

Advertisement
Lance thanks very much for your hard work.
You do a great job. Based on your analysis, do you think Miami will improve on offense?

I like that he's coached in the SEC, going against Alabama and LSU, so he knows what coaching against elite defenses and talent is like. This seems more like the guy Miami needed last year. It also sounds like he can recruit, which is a plus. I know a lot of people on here want Diaz gone, but it's too early to tell if he's got what it takes to be a head coach. It would have been better if he'd been able to do his time at Temple and figure things out. That also would have meant another year with Richt's offense, which no one was looking forward to either. He made a bad choice with OC, but Enos looked like he was going to be Alabama's OC, and UGA was also interested, and Enos was saying all the right things, but once an *******, always an *******. Hopefully the kids will actually play for Lashlee.

Advertisement
Great work as always Lance. Thanks for the time and effort you put into these UFR's.

Advertisement
Thanks Lance. Lot of work in this but Manny is not big enough for the Miami HC job and no assistant is going to change that. We need a HC big enough for the moment to recover. Small fries like Coker and Manny will do after t big tuna takes us back to the top but even Dennis, who was leading edge creative, was to small to carry the water. We need another Howard at this point and I don't know of one.

Great work Lance. I expect better offensive numbers than the past two years for sure. However, my expectations will be tempered due to the QB limitations and the OL. I agree that WRs lack the ability to make people miss. This offense give guys a chance for big plays if that can A. Beat one guy in space or B. Get separation. I think our RBs should enjoy the space they will see in this offense.

Our OL and QBs are better than theres.

Advertisement
Back