Upon Further Review- Miami vs. Virginia

In all seriousness what was wrong with Perry, I knew it was bad, but not that bad. Was he shook, unprepared....?

and this is not about Rosier, so don't start that siht.

The only thing wrong with Perry is youth and inexperience.

It is not like we have a benchmark for Perry thus can say "what is wrong with him." It is not like this is his 3rd year or something where he has been great in the past.

Perry's mistakes were the result of the game moving a little to fast for him. On both INTs he sees a rusher coming and Perry tries to make a quick decision. Both times he throws on instinct instead of reading the D and does not see the Safety. This is a mistake all young QBs tend to make at every level.

This isn't about studying more or learning the playbook. He just needs experience and the game will slowdown. It will take time for him to settle down and learn that he just can't make that throw without knowing where the safety is.

A few weeks ago we saw him looking nervous as **** and it showed. Later he settles down and looks off the safety to throw a perfect TD pass. At UVA Richt should have left him in and he probably never throws those INTs again. He is also going to make these mistakes. He just needs to time and experience.

He also virtually never keeps the ball regardless of the read. Richt either needs to teach him what he is supposed to be looking for or stop calling the read. Rosier would have kept that and ran and the back side probably opens up for the rest of the game. But then Rosier comes with his own problems.

Advertisement
First of all, I'm not blaming the defense but I'm tired of seeing SEC DT run down QB better then our LBs. It's embarrassing.

I'll just put it this simple. RICHT HAS DEMENTIA. We run some nicely designed plays for 1 or 2 games then we never see them again as if Richt has memory loss when calling plays.

Miami is struggling to run the ball? Lets never run the DJ Dallas Wildcat that worked against ND ever again let's just continue to beat our heads with the same 3 run plays over and over again.

Oh, Rosier is really good at that designed QB run stuff? But lets run the 30 year old passing concepts with an inaccurate QB because Richt has faith and is hoping and wishing and praying that Rosier will eventually become Tom Brady 3.0.

Everyone: Hey Coach! How come we don't run any motion on offense?
Richt: Is that new? *As he checks his play scroll*

Old *** play book. It not even a playbook anymore, it a play scroll. Cavemen been running these plays since the beginning of time. Richt's play book isn't even written on paper it written on stone.

WTH happen to the "P" in "RPO" is a question I've been asking since Kaaya left. I'm also tired of opposing coaches and even commentators tell is how basic our offense is. Why do we continue to find coordinator who makes life so easy for opponents when we have more speed and talent. Sideline guy vs UNC tells us how basic on route concepts are, LSU DC tells us we have no intermediate passing game, and Pitt's HC pimp walking at halftime with a 10-7 lead basically guaranteeing a win because they our QB can't throw in this predictable as **** offense.

Last edited:
WOW! Great post. Thanks. Painful loss, but to review it had to really be painful.

Let's hope CMR will look in the mirror and implement some of your suggestions. Were has the Wildcat gone? DJ throwing a pass from the Wildcat to Brevin or Travis...

Have to say I'm not a fan of screen shots after the ball is released. The defense has already reacted to the QB/throw so there will always be open guys in those cases. Its hard to get accurate footage off a TV game tape but you do a good job.

Advertisement
Great write up, you made some excellent points. I hate the fact that Richt does not use players to their best ability. For all the things he does well, this is something that he does poorly and it drives me crazy.

Make sure to put in parentheses in the thread title, "Perry lovers: DO NOT ENTER" because you really have posters on here who want to just throw Perry out there and let him learn on the job meanwhile he is playing like ****. His fault? Not sure but the review clearly shows him getting pulled was the right move before we ended up losing that game by a lot more.

That was really painful to read at this stage of Richts tenure. I am really nervous going into Friday night if Richt doesn't make some offensive adjustments.

Have to say I'm not a fan of screen shots after the ball is released. The defense has already reacted to the QB/throw so there will always be open guys in those cases. Its hard to get accurate footage off a TV game tape but you do a good job.

Understand the feedback. Guessing you are referring to two plays:

The long throw to Jeff Thomas that he stopped on and I’m stating Brevin was wide open on. I tried to show how he was wide open on the play the whole way with three separate screen shots with commentary on what the QB should’ve seen all along.

The second one was the Thomas corner route that we completed to Cager for a 1st down underneath. The LB is in a tough spot there. If Perry holds the ball he has to sink to take away the corner. If he sinks on Thomas, the underneath route he completed would’ve been even more open.

Your points about as the QB is releasing the ball defenders start to run that direction and leave their coverage responsibilities is well taken, but I try to include detail to show how the player was open on the play before the ball was thrown.

Thanks for the kind words.

Advertisement
I hate to oversimplify yet another fantastic breakdown but your one line sums it up:

“Modern football is about getting your playmakers out in space”

That is 1000% at the heart of all the frustration.

Commentary
I would like to see the staff take time during the bye week to do some self-scouting and reflect on what is causing Miami problems on offense. The goal would be to pick three things that are issues for Miami and focus on fixes for those three serious areas. You can't install a new scheme during the bye week so you have to narrow the scope of your adjustments. I'll offer three suggestions here:

1. Miami has struggled with CB blitzes all season. LSU caused problems against Rosier and Virginia caused problems against Perry. An adjustment that would help the QB's with this issue would be to align our WR's further outside. Both in the slot and to the outside of the formation. The reason is simple; it's basic math. The further away the DB is from the QB, the more time the QB has to make decision with the ball. Increasing the distance that the DB has to go also creates more space on the field the defense has to cover. I've spent some time during the bye week reviewing different offenses that are having success this year and reviewed Houston in college, Kansas City and Los Angeles in the NFL. All of these teams are succeeding for lots of reasons, not the least of which is putting the defense in a bind with speed and space. Miami can easily do that if they allow their speed to play in more open space. Move the receivers further out, Coach.

2. Studies have shown unequivocally that the most efficient area of the field to throw the ball is between the hashes. Miami has created an offense that lives outside of the hash marks. (Side note: This is most likely a large reason we run narrow spacing to the outside, so that WR's can run a full route tree outside) Too many times and I am reviewing plays and stopping the game to see that the defense does not even have to cover the middle of the field on a particular play and it really frustrates me. Having routes over the MOF also allows the QB running game to have another blocker available should they break the pocket. The QB's are missing plays over the MOF, but we are also not making it nearly enough of a focus on game day. It is not only WR's or TE's who can threaten the MOF, our RB's can be true weapons in this area as well. Deejay Dallas was a WR just last year and would be a weapon in this area if utilized more often.

3. RPO's- If you are going to run RPO's you have to force the defense to actually respect the QB run and the pass option of the play. Miami has fallen into a pattern of handing the ball to the RB on the dive out of this play and it has seen diminishing results of the play. It is obvious the coaching staff was working to protect Perry, as he kept the ball on the read far less often than Rosier. Edge players are crashing on this hard and Miami is not punishing them for it. Rosier is going to need to make this read a tougher play on the edge defender AND he is going to need to throw the ball early in games as well. There are two side benefits to this; it gets Jeff Thomas involved much more often, and defenses are not going to crash nearly as hard if they know that edge is threatened. If Miami were to take my advice on number one, the basic math doesn't just apply to the yardage to go to get to the QB on a blitz, it also applies here, as the defender has further to go to crash on the edge run as well. Give more space, Coach.

4. Bonus item! In my time watching Houston, Los Angeles, and Kansas City one constant that I saw from them was using motion to attack and confuse the defense. Jeff Thomas is the ultimate college weapon to threaten a defense. Using him on a jet sweep motion would get the defense moving before the snap even occurs and would open up several plays. How about an inside shovel pass to Brevin off of jet sweep motion keeping eyes on Thomas? Or, maybe a Gray shovel pass with the same motion and Brevin coming across from the other side for a wham block. Thomas motion across the face of the QB who could throw a "pop pass" to him and threaten a defense on the edge that way. H-back motion across a formation gets Brevin running before the snap and allowing him a two-way go to either run across the MOF, threaten the seam, or go outside. Purdue gets the ball to Rondale Moore with constant motion and then having him cut across the MOF from all areas of the field. Miami does not do this. I can almost guarantee this one doesn't happen because Coach Richt believes if you execute his plays to perfection they will work and therefore does not see the need to make things more complicated with motion. The results of the offense seem to suggest it is time to change.

The performance against Virginia left many opportunities to win the game out on the field. I will not deny that, but it is time for the coaching staff to rise up and start creating plays that do not require perfect execution to be successful. It is time for the coaching staff to create a situation where the Miami speed is in space and not requires NFL routes and throws to be successful.

Self-Scouting
I mentioned that I want the coaching staff to self-scout over the bye week. That isn't just for their own performance, but also the performance of the personnel. The OL is having issues with blocking speed, I would like to see changes to reduce the times this is asked of them. It is up to the coaching staff to make changes that address this rather than going into another game expecting different results with the same stuff.

What is Rosier good at? He is good at running the ball. He is good at reading one half of the field. It is time to design safe plays that allow him to get playmakers in space and not require him to read the whole field to find an open man. This is not working and it needs to change.

What do the receivers do well? Thomas is a HR hitter and the defense is focusing on taking him away. It is time to force the ball to Thomas on pitches, pop passes, screens, outside gives. Get him involved early. Harley is a great blocker but a limited route runner and has a small catch radius. Do not expect him to be a threat on intermediate and deep passes. Cager cannot catch, so do not rely on him to make contested catches all game. He also cannot block, so stop calling plays that require him to make sustained blocks to have a successful play. Asking players to do things they aren't good at in this point of the season is a failure of coaching moreso than a failure by the player.

Deejay Dallas and Travis Homer are both excellent receivers and the goal should be to get a LB isolated on them as often as possible. These throws are efficient and are intercepted at a very low rate.

Conclusion
I recognize that this article featured just as much commentary as it did film review, but I felt the need to identify issues I've seen to this point in the season and offer my thoughts. The coaching staff on offense has gotten a lot of heat for the results. In my experience that is generally due to players failing to execute on plays and therefore think coaches get too much blame. That is not the case with this year's Miami offense. The Miami coaches are getting exactly the amount of criticism that they deserve because in my review they have failed to meet expectations of what a coach is expected to do during games; give your players the best possible chances to win. Asking players to continuously do things that are not their strengths because the offensive system is rigid and not willing to change to your personnel is a failure of coaching. It is time for a change. It is time for Mark Richt to overhaul this offense and give his players a better chance to use their positive skills and to reduce the frequency of times they need to utilize their lesser skills. It is time for Mark Richt change or it is time for Mark Richt to fire Mark Richt the OC.
Lance, you and @Roman Marciante have me looking like the knowledgeable Canes guy at the water cooler. Big ups fellas.
I owe you guys a nice steak at Kenneth's Steak House.

Advertisement
I said this in Roman's thread last week, and your review here continues to shine the light on this - a majority of the time, we just make offense look so hard. With the playmakers we have at all the skill positions, the limitations we have at QB, and the weaknesses we have at OL, it seems glaringly clear that our goal should be to find the easiest way to get the ball into our playmakers hands in the easiest, quickest way possible. If/when we have a QB that is a strength, and/or an OL that is a strength, then we can shift the focus of our offense to one that relies more on QB precision/decision making, or one that relies on more of a brute strength running game....but we don't have those strengths right now.

It just boggles my mind that with RBs who are capable of big plays in the run and pass game, with TEs that are suited to challenge the middle of the field, and WRs who (even with the injuries) have different strengths to work all areas of the field, that we have such a difficult time making that happen. And, while I don't think Richt's offensive scheme at this point is up to par, the truth is that by just altering certain aspects of our plays (i.e., motion), or emphasizing certain plays/concepts (passes to RBs, patterns attacking the middle of the field), we could be effective with the talent we have in the short term without some huge offensive scheme overhaul.

I sure hope that the UVA loss and bye week opened Richt's eyes to this...however, I'm not feeling confident that it will.

I sure hope that the UVA loss and bye week opened Richt's eyes to this...however, I'm not feeling confident that it will.

After 8 months of eyes on Pitt-Clem-Wisc....no, not confident either of miraculous changes in 1.5 weeks

Advertisement
@Lance Roffers fantastic article! Is there the smallest chance you can get this write up to MR/Athletic Depratment or do you know anybody that can?

We truly need him/them to at least read this

Here is my theory. Richt gave Perry his chance and he showed the moment was too big vs UVA in his first road start. He also didn't prove to be head and shoulders better vs UNC or FSU. That being said, we still have a very good chance to win the division and he won it with Rosier last year and the defense is playing even better. So my guess is, while Perry has a chance to have a great future, it is on the back burner until we are eliminated from Coastal Contention. Richt would be doing the team a disservice to let Perry learn on the job if that isn't going to equate to wins while we still have a chance to win the division. If we lose to BC then maybe he takes over for good and it wont matter the record here on out and he can have as many brain farts as he wants. Right now, we cant have that. Rosier while very limited still knows the playbook better, takes care of the ball better and runs the ball much better so have to go with him until we are out of the race.

The only thing wrong with Perry is youth and inexperience.

It is not like we have a benchmark for Perry thus can say "what is wrong with him." It is not like this is his 3rd year or something where he has been great in the past.

Perry's mistakes were the result of the game moving a little to fast for him. On both INTs he sees a rusher coming and Perry tries to make a quick decision. Both times he throws on instinct instead of reading the D and does not see the Safety. This is a mistake all young QBs tend to make at every level.

This isn't about studying more or learning the playbook. He just needs experience and the game will slowdown. It will take time for him to settle down and learn that he just can't make that throw without knowing where the safety is.

A few weeks ago we saw him looking nervous as **** and it showed. Later he settles down and looks off the safety to throw a perfect TD pass. At UVA Richt should have left him in and he probably never throws those INTs again. He is also going to make these mistakes. He just needs to time and experience.

He also virtually never keeps the ball regardless of the read. Richt either needs to teach him what he is supposed to be looking for or stop calling the read. Rosier would have kept that and ran and the back side probably opens up for the rest of the game. But then Rosier comes with his own problems.

Advertisement
Back